Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 16th Oct 2011 10:29pm
Thinking about getting a wireless adapter for the 360 as its a quite a way from the router in the new house. Are they any good? Do you get the same transfer rate as using a UTP cable?

I have a very long UTP, but ideally it would mean running it through a wall, running it outside, and then back in through another wall. Obviously if the wireless adapters are good then I can save myself having to do it......

Any advice, or should I just run a cable?
Posted By: reddragon Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 16th Oct 2011 10:31pm
Hi Stuymac
I use a wireless adaptor on my 360 and its on the house network and the router is in sons bedroom and im in the living room and I have no problems at all hope this helps
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 16th Oct 2011 10:47pm
You won't get anywhere near the transfer rate of a cat5/6, around 20 times less.

Unless you're trying to stream HD Movies or something you won't notice the difference.

Basically if you have the option, always use cable over wireless. Wireless is only useful for a few very situational reasons.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 16th Oct 2011 11:01pm
i use one and never had any problems. Also been fine streaming HD movies too.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 17th Oct 2011 9:04am
We use the official Xbox wireless adapter and have never come across any problems, in terms of connection or streaming.

Approx distance between router & Xbox 10mtrs.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 17th Oct 2011 9:26am
Other than the official 360 adapter, what has everybody been using / what does anyone recommend?
Posted By: Maisie Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 17th Oct 2011 10:28am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Other than the official 360 adapter, what has everybody been using / what does anyone recommend?

I made the mistake of getting the cheaper wireless adapter for my 10 year old sone for his 360. Which didn't work very well at all, so I looked it up on the internet. I found out that if you have a laptop, you can use the laptop as a wireless router, and connect to the 360 through the laptop. Can't remember really, but you can bridge the connections.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 17th Oct 2011 10:46am
Hope you had that laptop secured before you started using it as a wireless AP oshocked
Posted By: pete1969 Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 18th Oct 2011 4:45pm
hi my two sons both use genuine xbox wireless adapters, broadband hub is in living room but my eldest sons room is on the 3rd floor,he never has any problems smile
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Wireless adapter for Xbox - any good? - 18th Oct 2011 5:01pm
Had mine for few years, needs unplugging every now and again but generally is excellent, better reception than ps3 built in wireless. Used to stream music and movies no problem
© Wirral-Wikiwirral