Forums
Our smoke alarm in the ceiling suddenly went off involuntarily this morning hasn't stopped. We think it is a battery operated one, as we tried turning off the electricity at the mains but it was still making a continuous buzzing. We can't even unscrew it from the ceiling by twisitng, and it doesn't seem to have any screws.

This blasted incessant buzzing is driving us mad, and so any advice you could give as to how to deactivate this accursed thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Not really sure what answer you're expecting, this question isn't related to digital media.

Man up and twist the thing off and remove the battery, or hit it with a hammer.
If it's a battery one it could be that the battery was nearly gone and they don't work as well in the cold so the change in the weather could of pushed it over the edge.

Try holding the reset button with the end of brush might cure it other than that you'll need to get the battery out to shut it up.

If you call the Fire service on 0800 731 5958 (not 999!) they'll come and do a Home Fire Safety check and give you all new alarms for free if they're not working.

Try a 2lb ball pein hammer used with diligence and enthusiasm,should do the trick.
But I couldn't find an appropriate category to post this in. This one was the nearest to my problem I could imagine.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How To Turn Off Incessantly Sounding Smoke Alarm - 6th Oct 2011 2:22pm
chit chat wink dont worry mark will move it for you when he gets time smile

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/5/1/General_Chit_Chat.html
Seem to remember reading somewhere that smoke alarms fitted by the Fire Brigade had a bad batch that would do this and that they were supposed to be replacing them. Perhaps if you get in touch with them they will pop round and replace it.
my advice is to go out an buy a new one, fit it then smack the old one off the ceiling. It may be annoying but it could save your life, so just replace it incase the unit is faulty, but could just be the battery. But don't take chances with your life, get it replaced asap, and be sure. it may just save your life one day (not that i hope that ever becomes an issue) x
Originally Posted by ex0__
Not really sure what answer you're expecting, this question isn't related to digital media.

Man up and twist the thing off and remove the battery, or hit it with a hammer.
Yet again another very helpful post from ex0__
Originally Posted by ex0__
Help with all your Technology&Gadgets, Computers,Internet,Mobile Phones, Digital TV, Gaming. . If am not mistaken a smoke alarm is technology, and this section is for

(Help with all your Technology&Gadgets, Computers,Internet,Mobile Phones, Digital TV, Gaming.)

Thanks for pointing that out Willo, you rock.
sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
© Wirral-Wikiwirral