Forums
Posted By: cathie Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 8:39pm
I have taken some footage from my CCTV hard drive using a memory stick and copied it to my pc. The folder says AVI, there is also a Instcodec and an AVF player. I have tried the Instcodec first then the AVF player but it is not picking up the AVF file I want to play. I have tried changing the PLAY WITH options in the file itself but no happiness.

HELP cry
Posted By: Clive Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 8:41pm
http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-play-avi-files-in-windows-media-player/
Posted By: cathie Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 9:06pm
I tried that...no luck.

I've tried opening it with a divx player and downloading the additional directshow filters..nothing
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 9:08pm
WTF is a .avf file? I know asf and avi but never heard of avf.

Try and run the file directly with vlc, that should do it. If vlc won't run it (and vlc runs damn near every media file type known to man) you'll have to find some sort of converter I guess.
Posted By: cathie Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 9:19pm
nope...doesn't work
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 9:20pm
Sounds like you're screwed then. What does the CCTV instructions say? What's the make of the cameras? And more importantly do they explain why they record in some obscure format? o.O
Posted By: PunchIt Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 9:52pm
Try giving Moreton Alarm Supplies a ring. They are always happy to give advice. Their number is on at the end of their advert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Laq0YVhFIrQ
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 9:58pm
Try changing the extension to .avi and it should play in VLC player.

If that doesn't work replace the extension and download super to convert the file to your choice.

Download super from here.... Clickme smile

Ex0, please tell me wtf does o.O mean?????

Posted By: ex0__ Re: Playing a .avf file - 1st Oct 2011 10:11pm
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=o.o&defid=5216627
Posted By: MikeT Re: Playing a .avf file - 3rd Oct 2011 6:35am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Try and run the file directly with vlc, that should do it. If vlc won't run it (and vlc runs damn near every media file type known to man)

Agreed on VLC, I love it. It'll even play .iso images if they contain any video content, no need to mount them with Daemon Tools or similar.

Cathie: find and download a utility called GSpot and drag and drop the .avf file on it. It'll tell you which codec (encoder/decoder) is needed to play the file and you can then search for it or post back here for more help.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Playing a .avf file - 3rd Oct 2011 9:17am
CCTV uses a lot of proprietary formats, usually so you have to use their software. But you may be able to use it in something else.

In a Hex editor, what are the first 4 bytes of the file?

This may help ID exactly what you can do with it.

I remember when I worked in CCTV we mainly used Motion Jpeg, which was a horrible format.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral