Forums
Posted By: poodlepup Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 10:39am
Hi Everyone,my elderly neighbour has forgotten her password to start up her notebook.
I am a computer novice myself so its a bit like the "blind leading the blind!!"
Any idea what to do,thanks.
Posted By: Clive Re: Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 10:48am
1.Restart your computer.
2.When the machine first starts it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. When it is finished with that it will say "Starting Windows". Immediately after seeing "Starting Windows" press the F8 key.
3.You will now be presented with a menu. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4.Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

You will be presented with 2 accounts, one will be her account the other will be administrator, click on admin, hopefully that has not got a password on it, if not wait till pc boots up to desk top, goto control panel, user accounts and click on her account, and delete password, reboot pc as normal
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 11:00am
if admin account has a password it will either be admin, administrator, password or leave it blank.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 11:05am
Thanks willo,will give that a try later.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 11:08am
Ok Thanks Ste,i've just got to wait for her to get back from her shopping trip.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 1:54pm
If you get to 'starting windows' you've gone too far and can't F8 bring up the safe list. Start spamming F8 as soon as you press the power button and you'll get it. Log in with safe mode into the admin account using a blank password and you can then go control panel > user accounts > change password on her account.

If she's using anything past windows XP this won't work and you'll need a password reset disk. This one is the easiest to use:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Windows...66109e8f9fade3c4ab6decb8668ea3958076f99b
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Help!! forgotten password problem - 28th Sep 2011 7:27pm
My neighbour said "Thanks" guys! I followed your advice,easy peasy when you know how.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral