Forums
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 5:27pm
I just need a printer for CVs and maybe some uni work. I know I want a laser one because I've seen they tend to look better on the page, just wondering what a decent one is and what kind of price I'd be looking at? I only need it for black and white text really so won't need anything fancy!
Thanks!
Posted By: janjan Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 6:07pm
Usually the cheaper the printer the more expensive the cartridges. Epson do a good basic range and the compatible cartridges are easily available and less than half the price of epson ones..Good luck
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 6:10pm
Do you use cartridges in a laser printer?
Posted By: little_pob Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 6:39pm
Yes, toner cartridges wink

I like HP for printers, but I'm not sure if they're pulling out of the home printer markets as well as the PC/laptop market.

PC World currently have a Samsung laser printer for £39. The replacement toner is £59.99: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ml-1660-monochrome-laser-printer-10819329-pdt.html
Posted By: TheDr Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 6:44pm
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
Do you use cartridges in a laser printer?

Well they are called toner cartridges, but I know what you mean.

With laser printers you basically buy a cartridge full of toner powder, these vary in price from expensive for the original manufacturers ones throught to OEM and cheap refilled units. If you want the cheapest option you can usually just buy the toner powder and refill it yourself (some are more difficult than others, some need a chip to be replaced as well).

I have two different ones, one is black only, I can buy replacements for about £25 or refill it three times for about £15.
The other is a colour but the cartridges are very small, then again they only cost £12 each, but lots of black soon empties them.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 6:48pm
Eek confusing! blush
Yeah I saw that Samsung one after a quick google, just wondering if that's okay for what I'm looking for, don't want to get anything that costs more because it's got fancy things that I'll never use. I dunno, maybe I'll just stick with going to the uni library crazy
Posted By: TheDr Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 6:56pm
I'll have a look and see if I have an old laser printer stored away anywhere, if I do you can try it out and see if it's any good.
Posted By: Snickas Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 9:33pm
Tesco's have this HP all-in-one printer for £26.97. It copies, scans and prints. Its cheaper than buying new cartridges.

Posted By: Stingray Re: What printer should I get? - 24th Sep 2011 11:21pm
may I suggest getting printing done at local library? 10p/sheet so you dont have to invest in a printer & waste a fortune on inks, works for me!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral