Forums
Posted By: Jobneeded67 PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:12pm
I am contemplating buying a PS3 and selling my Xbox 360. However, before I venture to do so, I would like to ask you all if you think this is a wise move?

What are the advantages/disadvantages between a PS3 and an Xbox 360?

My main gripe about the Xbox 360 is the hand discomfort I feel from its hard, fiddly joypad.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:21pm
Ive got both and my PS3 sits collecting dust and hasnt been played on since feb.

Says it all
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:21pm
im a ps3 fan 3d bluray player, bbc iplayer, itv player and 4 on demand. not to mention love film too its more a media centre than just a games console. recenlty got 3d television been playing resistance 3 in 3d just awesome.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:25pm
if you are anything like me and like the console to be used to its maximum potential then the 360 is the current winner. you can get it flashed then have all your media, back up all your games play home brew apps etc.

The old ps3's with Linux OS are also very good but getting very hard to get now.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:25pm
Depends on what it is you want from your console.

If you're after multiplayer FPS's, get a PC. Don't waste your time with an inferior console. If you want to play multiplayer shooters with a bit more mature audience and won't get a PC, get a PS3. If you want to play with kids stick with your Xbox.

The controller for the PS3 is much slimmer (and feels better) than the Xbox controller does. If you get some extended R2/L2 buttons it makes triggering really fast. There is some downsides though, if you play at a high level and want to really up the sensitivity of the controller the PS3 can't handle that too well. Goes up a bit but nothing like a decent mouse on PC.

If you mainly play singleplayer (or just enjoy singleplayer) there's far more high quality PS3 exclusives than there is Xbox exclusives. A lot of the PS3 exclusives are games that I feel it's worth buying a PS3 just to experience. They make them to a really high quality.

PS3 > Xbox for pretty much everything except the price. PS3 network is free, you can use it as a media server, if you're into modding you can customise firmware and play older games, plays blu-ray..
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:25pm
PS i would get a gaming PC. they rule. you can use wireless PS3 pad on pc or xbox. much better than either console.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:34pm
[youtube]Amj9_67HZas[/youtube] if it's only the joypad that is stopping you then try this wink
Posted By: ex0__ Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:35pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
you can use wireless PS3 pad on pc or xbox. much better than either console.

Don't even think about doing this ><

If you're going to get a PC get a keyboard and a mouse. You'll never be able to keep up or play as well as PC gamers if you're handicapping yourself with a controller.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:41pm
I have both, only ever play XBox, hardly know anyone with a PS3, and those people i do know bought it more for its bluray capabilities and never play online.

Xbox live is £30 per annum, PSN is free but you definately get what you pay for. Live is intuitive PSN is not IMO.

The main decision maker for me was the controller, PS3 controller is very dated and hurts my hands, Xbox controller has a more natural fit.

older Xboxes suffer from RROD and disk drive failures, both are very easy to fix and cost less than £20 if you do it your self.

Fat PS3's suffer from multiple issues and are more difficult and expensive to diagnose.

In my opinion, see what the majority of your mates have got and get that, you wont be loosing out in terms of graphics or playability which ever console you buy
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:53pm
Modified Xbox 360, best value for money.

Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
you can get it flashed then have all your media, back up all your games play home brew apps etc.

You cant run homebrew on flashed 360's, just backups. Only Jtag's or devkits can, and theres not a whole lot of homebrew yet, but its slowly getting there.
Posted By: madrob Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 2:58pm
id prob go for the xbox as much better online just got a ps3 better game play and graphics so its a hard 1
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 3:53pm
Deffo xbox 360 ours is amazing !!
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 4:04pm
xbox, ive got 3 & love them all.
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 4:12pm
PS3 PS3 PS3! Am i the only one? confused
Posted By: Tombraider Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 4:16pm
Ps3 60gb great console!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 4:39pm
xbox £30 to get online and you get no free games, only stuff you get you can get free on your pc (last fm, sky go, twitter and facebook)

ps3 free you get free music videos bbc player 4od itv player and ps3 home and free movies if you know where to look (look 4 ps3divx )
but if you pay £39 a year you get 4 free games a month.
Posted By: FayePlayer Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 5:12pm
I don't suppose that helped make up anyone's mind. I'm still in between of what to go for
Posted By: reddragon Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 16th Sep 2011 5:34pm
xbox 360 for me
Posted By: Lisk090 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 21st Sep 2011 6:02pm
Ps3 is the better of the two, i upgraded my ps3 HDD from a 40gig to a 500gig, only cost me £37.50 for the HDD

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 21st Sep 2011 6:12pm
Originally Posted by madrob
id prob go for the xbox as much better online just got a ps3 better game play and graphics so its a hard 1

Bollox, better graphics on xbox (always has been).

Better Internet on ps3.

Xbox looks nicer and the new ones don't blow up & are quiet.

Xbox has more PROPER games and the games are cheaper.

Only reason I'd get a ps3 is for metal gear solid which is rather pointless so answer is xbox 360.

I had and still have the original ps1, brilliant console back in the day, I then got a ps2 and an xbox and the xbox beat the ps2 hands down.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 7:13am
Got both, have recentlygot a copy of GT 5 and little big planet.

Little big planet is ok, GT5 is really disappointing. Forza is a much better game. there is no reason to change to a PS3 IMO.
Posted By: Snickas Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 8:12am
Originally Posted by AX_125
Got both, have recentlygot a copy of GT 5 and little big planet.

Little big planet is ok, GT5 is really disappointing. Forza is a much better game. there is no reason to change to a PS3 IMO.

you should try Little Big Planet 2, the community and all the levels they make are quite something.
my little boy is OBSESSED with it [Linked Image]
Posted By: ex0__ Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:51pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

This is fanboy talk, not facts (and not correct, either :p)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:17pm
ex0 I know you know what your talking about, as alot of your posts have helped me in the past smile

could you please put a list up of both specs thank you x sorry if I'm a pain in the butt.
Posted By: AlexB Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:32pm
Edit: ignore me
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:47pm
Specs doesnt make the console, its the developer support.

Both consoles have their strengths and weaknesses, the PS3 technologically wise is superior in some (but not all) ways, but the cross platform games are usually made for the 360 (because its a lot easier to program for) and then ported to the PS3. This leaves a lot of games looking better on the 360 as they were programmed for it, and the PS3's potential and features underused.

Console specific titles look good on both consoles and generally speaking there is little to choose between them 'out of the box' except console specific titles.

My advice would be to look at the console specific titles and see which ones you would prefer.

For example, would you prefer Gears of War, Halo and Forza (The Xbox big hitters) or Heavy Rain, Metal Gear and Gran Turismo (The PS3's big hitters)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29

A list of console exclusives, choose which ones you would prefer to play.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 22nd Sep 2011 10:53pm
Originally Posted by ex0__

Not at all Ex0.

I like reliability and ps3 consoles are not reliable, how often do you see them needing drives? Or with their other problems?

360 slim has no problems, only thing going for the ps3 is the console only games and the blueray player which is pretty pointless as everyone probably owns one now anyway and like I said, they arent the most reliable of players are they?
I rest my case. snob
Posted By: ex0__ Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 24th Sep 2011 11:53am
Not at all Ex0.

I've had a phat ps3 since release, I had it on preorder. It's never had any problems at all. I've got a ps3 slim that I got off ebay and fixed myself and I use that one for custom firmware. The 'proper' games you're talking about for the xbox360 are 99% available on ps3, for the same reason they are usually available on the PC as well. Developers want to hit as much of the game market as possible.

What I do see is a lot of fooked xboxs. Red ring of d00m, bricking from rubbish firmware, cd's getting scratched to death, problems with the drives they are supplied with, overheating problems (though admittantly the ps3 suffered from this as well if you didn't position it right), etc.

I'm not sure about the bluray player, I don't use mine. I download all the movies I watch so I just stream them to my PS3 from a media server and watch them on my tv. I know that mine works though, so yeah, I'd say pretty reliable.

As far as games go, the PS3 has far better exclusives than any other console. Like I said earlier, they are the kind of games that make the ps3 worth buying just to play them. Demon's Souls, Uncharted, MGS4, Infamous, Dante's Inferno.. etc. Plus you avoid the crowd of kids whose parents bought them xbox's and the teenagers who can't be bothered learning how to use a computer for real fps gaming. win-win.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 24th Sep 2011 1:33pm
I have ps3, xbox 360, wii, psp go, 3ds, i love gaming, I used to be a ps3 person and never rated the xbox , however now am totally converted, the ps3 now just sits there collecting dust. You dont constantly have stupid updates on the xbox unlike when you turn the ps3 on, there's always some crap to download.

Love film on the ps3 is total garbage and a waste of money, i used it for a few months but got tired of only being able to see the first 100 films of each category so cancelled.

Although xbox doesnt have love film it has all the best films on there and works flawlessly every time.

Im not saying the ps3 is rubbish at all, they are both great game consoles, but i think if you get rid of your xbox especially if its the slim one and get a ps3 you will regret it one way or another.

Oh and to add in the last 2 years ive had 2 ps3s fail but the trusty old xbox still stands tall, and it gets hammered every single day
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 24th Sep 2011 3:10pm
Originally Posted by ex0__

Not at all Ex0.

I like reliability and ps3 consoles are not reliable, how often do you see them needing drives? Or with their other problems?

360 slim has no problems, only thing going for the ps3 is the console only games and the blueray player which is pretty pointless as everyone probably owns one now anyway and like I said, they arent the most reliable of players are they?
I rest my case. snob

ste what about XBOX 360 Perfect Circle Scratch Problems? I have all 3 ps3 wii and xbox I like them all but I don't like xbox live as I don't like playing kids online I feel creepy talking to kid when playing my games, funny how many kids play 16/18 games can't there mum or dads read?
Posted By: AX_125 Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Which Is Best? - 24th Sep 2011 4:11pm
I find more kids have playstation. Parents on the dole have more disposable income to spend and most uninformed people think because ps3 has better specs then it must be better.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral