Forums
Posted By: Clive Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 8:14am
This is the 5th time it has come up now, in as many days.
PC is running win xp pro, service pack 3, has 3gb ram 300gb hdd, and all drivers are up to date, it has Avast anti virus, zone alarm firewall.
Any information for me any one on this please.

Attached picture Photo0114.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 8:18am
Does this happen when watching videos?
Posted By: Silverback Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 8:43am

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0x0000008e
Posted By: Clive Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 8:44am
Originally Posted by Nobody
Does this happen when watching videos?
pc was on, i went to make a coffee come back and blue screen is on
Posted By: Clive Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 8:47am
am assuming it went wrong then, because the windows disc i used to install windows was meant for a dell pc, i changed the code to my own code, but if i delete the dell folder of hdd pc will not boot up.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 9:40am
What's the graphics card and do you have the latest drivers from ati/nvidia?

How is the inside of the case? Dust free etc? Try turning the machine off and taking the ram out and reseating it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 9:51am
Looks like some hardware issue - try reseating your PC cards and checking usb connections etc.
Posted By: Clive Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 9:55am
Originally Posted by ex0__
What's the graphics card and do you have the latest drivers from ati/nvidia?

How is the inside of the case? Dust free etc? Try turning the machine off and taking the ram out and reseating it.

grpahics car, Nvidia Geforce 8500GT, latest driver (Geforce 280.26 driver, Version 280.26 WHQL
release date 9/8/2011)
The case is clean inside dust free, I took out ram and blew any dust out and put back in.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 10:29am
There's good airflow inside the case etc?

The most common cause for watchdog.sys related bsod's seems to be leftover drivers and registry files from partially removed applications. Have you removed any software recently?

Try running checkdisk, do this by going start > run > cmd and then typing chkdsk /f in the black window that comes up and hitting 'y' when prompted to run checkdisk at next reboot.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 10:33am
Could be RAM or graphics card, or maybe neither. Eliminate one thing at a time, take all the ram out leaving just one, see how it goes, if it does it again, swap the stick thats in for another, and again, etc.

For the GFX card you will either need to get another one to swap with to test or use the onboard graphics card if it has one.

Also make sure there is plenty of airflow through the case.
Posted By: Clive Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 10:33am
all ready ran chk disc, no problems.
i have removed no programs, it is a clean install.
Tower is well ventalated
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 6:10pm
Have a look at the heatsink, it sounds to me as if the CPU is getting hot under load.

If the paste between the heatsink and CPU is "fluid" or slightly tacky then you "should" be okay, if it looks like a powder, is solid or even not there then it needs to be cleaned and replaced with a good quality thermal transfer paste.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 6:38pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Have a look at the heatsink, it sounds to me as if the CPU is getting hot under load.

If the paste between the heatsink and CPU is "fluid" or slightly tacky then you "should" be okay, if it looks like a powder, is solid or even not there then it needs to be cleaned and replaced with a good quality thermal transfer paste.

I understand you run a computer repair store, Doc?

Kinda confused as to why you wouldn't just have him run coretemp/realtemp for a couple hours instead of disturbing his thermal paste? Especially when paste takes months to cure..
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 7:11pm

I understand you run a computer repair store, Doc?

Kinda confused as to why you wouldn't just have him run coretemp/realtemp for a couple hours instead of disturbing his thermal paste? Especially when paste takes months to cure..

I do, and that is one of the reasons why I try and help where I can.

The reason I suggest checking and possibly replacing the paste is that the machine appears to be failing under load, and if this has happened several times in the past few days it would (in my opinion) be a relatively simple task rather than risk damaging the CPU by placing stress upon it running checks when it is not stable for a suitable period.

The curing time for thermal transfer as I'm sure you are aware, can vary, and the thr-grease of course will always remain flexible unlike the silver paste. However despite this with a machine that is failing in such a short period I didn't feel that the 1-3deg drop after curing would have much of an effect for an average user, although of course if records were kept he should see a slight decrease after around 200hrs of hot/cold cycles.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 7:18pm

I wasn't having a go mate, I was honestly curious (just mentioning incase you took my post the wrong way). Applying paste correctly is confusing for most people. I didn't mean he should be stress testing, just passively monitoring the temperature to see if he's rocking 90 degress idle etc smile
Posted By: Clive Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 8:52pm
my pc has a temp gauge on front, and its allways in red, has been for years, i tryed watching vid on youtube today again and got blue screen of death yet again
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 30th Aug 2011 9:46pm
Originally Posted by Willo
my pc has a temp gauge on front, and its allways in red, has been for years, i tryed watching vid on youtube today again and got blue screen of death yet again

What temp is it hitting?

Run coretemp and tell us what you get. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 31st Aug 2011 2:17am

I wasn't having a go mate, I was honestly curious (just mentioning incase you took my post the wrong way). Applying paste correctly is confusing for most people. I didn't mean he should be stress testing, just passively monitoring the temperature to see if he's rocking 90 degress idle etc smile

It's okay I didn't take it as a dig smile
Posted By: MikeT Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 31st Aug 2011 5:40am
Any information for me any one on this please.

STOP 0x8E usually means your memory is fooked. Download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org, follow the instructions to make the boot floppy or CD and run it overnight. Any failures means bad CPU (unlikely) or bad memory (likely).
Posted By: MikeT Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 31st Aug 2011 5:42am
the thr-grease of course will always remain flexible unlike the silver paste.

My experience is the opposite. The white paste dries out and turns to powder, the silver stays pliable.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 31st Aug 2011 5:48am
Originally Posted by MikeT
STOP 0x8E usually means your memory is fooked. Download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org, follow the instructions to make the boot floppy or CD and run it overnight. Any failures means bad CPU (unlikely) or bad memory (likely).

More memory diagnostics: CLICKY
Posted By: Clive Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 31st Aug 2011 7:59am

What temp is it hitting?

Run coretemp and tell us what you get. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

attached

Attached picture untitled.JPG
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen of death: yet again - 31st Aug 2011 8:26am
Well it's not a temperature problem going from those temps. I'd go with what Mike said and run the memory next.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral