Forums
Posted By: Wench Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 8:57pm
I'm a bit of a spaz when it comes to doing technical stuff on the laptop. My best friend has text me what to do but I'm damned if I can find or do any of what he's said raftl

The laptop updated itself, and on restarting, has decided that I want IE back - which I don't! I am a firefox convert and can't do anything with IE anymore.

Can anyone tell me a fcukwits guide of how to get rid of IE and back to Firefox? I've reinstalled it but it just won't have it. I tried doing a system restore but that didn't work either as it wasn't turned on mad

I can be a right stupid bint sometimes.
Posted By: Clive Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 9:01pm
Sorry if you have allread tried it, but have a look here http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20make%20Firefox%20the%20default%20browser
or here http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb...%20default%20browser%20does%20not%20work
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 9:11pm
I can't get the Firefox page to come up to be able to do it frown I can't begin to explain just how much I hate IE raftl
Posted By: Clive Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 9:14pm
try clicking on tools, internet options, advanced, and reset ie, then try again, if it dont help, i will shut up and let the techs come on and have there say.
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 9:26pm
cry I give up. Thanks though Willo smile I think I'll just have to try and get used to IE again frown
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 10:57pm
chrome?
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 27th Aug 2011 10:59pm
No. All my favourites are on Firefox so I've lost them at the moment. I tried Chrome and didn't like it. I like Firefox.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 12:05am
Do you still have firefox installed? Go to program files > mozilla > firefox.exe and see if firefox loads. If it does it'll prompt you to set it as the default browser.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 12:06am
Then you can just uninstall IE in program files. Would suggest turning off windows updates as well, you'll never get anything useful from there so it serves only to annoy you to death with shitty updates.
Posted By: Steve_Wallasey Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 9:31am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Then you can just uninstall IE in program files. Would suggest turning off windows updates as well, you'll never get anything useful from there so it serves only to annoy you to death with shitty updates.

Poor advice on this bit mate. Running any unpatched OS online *especially* windows is like painting a sitting duck target on your machine for exploits.
Posted By: Steve_Wallasey Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 10:00am
Wench, just use Internet Exploder to browse to http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Download and install it, then it should update and find all your bookmarks. When it asks to be default browser, say yes.
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 10:40am
Originally Posted by Steve_Wallasey
Wench, just use Internet Exploder to browse to http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Download and install it, then it should update and find all your bookmarks. When it asks to be default browser, say yes.

I've done that 3 times now and it still comes up with the following message:

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.co.uk.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

It's annoying me now big time mad
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 10:53am
All the more reason NOT to give up !!!!

Sounds to me like the message is correct ie Firewall blocking the installation somehow

S.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 12:58pm
Running any unpatched OS online *especially* windows is like painting a sitting duck target on your machine for exploits.

This holds true for many OS's, but not windows. Have you actually looked at the critical patch list for windows? 99% of the patches are for vulns within programs that people don't use. WMP, Office, IE, a dozen other programs from the year 2000. There's no reason to patch XP unless you enjoy constant slowdown on the machine. You're no more at risk from stupidly obscure 'sploits than the next person. Not to mention that half the windows patches introduce more vulns than they fix.

Any patches that you really need to apply you'll be prompted to apply when you run the app that needs the patch. Like Adobe Reader (fook knows why anyone uses this anymore when foxitreader is better and has less overhead, but I digress) or Flash.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 12:59pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I've done that 3 times now and it still comes up with the following message:

It's annoying me now big time mad

Download the firefox installer from mozilla, uninstall firefox from the control panel and reinstall it.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 1:19pm
...it still comes up with the following message:

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.co.uk.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If it's really saying "Firefox can't connect to..." then it sounds like you still have Firefox there? - Surely IE wouldn't say that, would it? or is Windows just still associating URLs with Firefox? ? Odd, that....!
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 1:33pm
I've done that ex0 and it still gives me the same message.

CVx3 - I do still have Firefox as I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it 3 times. As for the rest of what you said - I have no idea, you may as well have just said something in Uzbekistanian raftl

I shall put up with it until mate is off nights and can fix it or I find someone else who can come and do it raftl

Attached picture firefox fuck up 001 (800x600).jpg
Attached picture firefox fuck up 002 (640x480).jpg
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 1:50pm
Can you get any web pages AT ALL using Firefox? If not, can you get them OK if you fire up IE instead?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 1:52pm
Copy and paste this URL into IE, try the suggestions here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb...0websites%20but%20other%20programs%20can
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 1:53pm
None whatsoever with Firefox, just keep getting the above page. IE is fine, I just hate it raftl I even removed IE to see if it would work that way but same result, so had to reinstall it.

I know it's going to be something even more simple than I raftl
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 1:57pm
On the above link, forgot to stress, don't just click on it... select it and copy and paste it into IE's address box...
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:02pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
On the above link, forgot to stress, don't just click on it... select it and copy and paste it into IE's address box...

Yeah, you don't need to copy paste into the bar anymore dude. Not 1999.

Wench, when you go into firefox hit file at the top, is work offline checked? If so uncheck it, that should fix the problem.

If it doesn't, click tools and then options, choose advanced at the top and then network. Click 'settings' on the top option (choose how firefox connects to the internet). Do you have proxies enabled? Is it set to use system settings?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:04pm
Yes she does need to copy and paste it, because if she just clicks on it, that will invoke Firefox (and Firefox isn't working...) 2011 or not...
Oh and and don't call me "dude".
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:09pm
Yes she does need to copy and paste it, because if she just clicks on it, that will invoke Firefox (and Firefox isn't working...) 2011 or not...

She said that firefox isn't her default browser, she had to install IE which would override firefox. Dude.
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:16pm
I've clicked it and copy/pasted it and followed the instructions to no avail.

I give up. I've tried everything. Either I'm more of a total spaz than I thought or it's fooked and I'll have to stay with IE. Either way, I'm fed up of it now. Fooking hate computers!!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:18pm
sdtuff

Did you follow the things I suggested in ##571409?

What does your proxy settings show?
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:26pm
sdtuff

Did you follow the things I suggested in ##571409?

What does your proxy settings show?

No because it didn't give me a "network" option when I clicked on advanced.

The only proxy thing says "no proxies"
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:29pm
And work offline is unchecked?
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 2:31pm
Yup frown
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 5:44pm

She said that firefox isn't her default browser, she had to install IE which would override firefox. Dude.
If that were really so, then how come, before, when she clicked on a link that someone posted, she got FIREFOX ??????? WELL???

That is why I said what I said - that, plus Wench indicated she admits not being very computer-savvy.

Why the heck don't you stay on topic and confine yourself to trying to assist the OP instead of having a go at anyone else who tries to help?

And I have told you once, and I will not tell you again: DO NOT CALL ME "DUDE". That you did so after being told not to, I take is clearly a personal insult.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 6:20pm
CV "dude" is not a personal insult.

Chill out.
Posted By: Silverback Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 7:27pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
CV "dude" is not a personal insult.

Chill out.

It is if he doesn't like being called it, and he's called it again after he's made that fact known, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness and provocative.

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 28th Aug 2011 8:21pm
Gentlemen

You have your differences of opinion. Please use PM to sort yourselves out and leave the thread to trying to solve our friend's problem.

Clearly what is needed is for someone to go in person and sort it.
I wish I could help with that but I am an ace duffer with IT things

Snod
Posted By: Steve_Wallasey Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 30th Aug 2011 12:34pm
vulns within programs that people don't use. WMP, Office, IE,

Methinks you'll find that a majority of Windows users sadly do still use these programs, as they aren't aware that better open source apps are available.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 30th Aug 2011 6:59pm
Methinks you'll find that a majority of Windows users sadly do still use these programs, as they aren't aware that better open source apps are available.

You're right, I agree I wasn't very specific in that post.

I was talking more WMP9 / Office XP / IE6. Most of the KBxxxxxx updates are for legacy software that no one should be using.
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 3rd Sep 2011 9:26pm
All sorted now thanks to my best mate. Thank you all for trying to help!! You're ace!! grin
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 3rd Sep 2011 11:14pm
So, do tell!! - what was it?
Posted By: Wench Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 4th Sep 2011 12:01am
No idea - I just left him to it for 5 minutes and it was handed back to me in its prior perfect state grin No hanging pages, no slow responses, no annoying extra windows. I'm a happy girl now - so easily pleased!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Laptop Update Epic Fail - 4th Sep 2011 2:23am
It's a good thing next time this happens we'll know how to solve it quickly now we know what was wrong with it ~
© Wirral-Wikiwirral