Forums
Posted By: sean99789 Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 6:24pm
Ok I've been stupid and lost my taskbar on my pc by deleting processes using windows task manager is there anyway of getting this back
Posted By: Talla Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 6:29pm
Usually just rebooting will bring it back - but if you want to play safe.

From task manager "new task" and "explorer"
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 6:41pm
Yes that's worked thank you
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 6:43pm
In the future you can avoid this by simply not ending 'explorer.exe'. It's pretty much the only task you shouldn't bother trying to end.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 6:51pm
yes found that out lol now i just want to decrease the percentage on the gauges on the sidebar app
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 6:59pm
If you want to use less resources turn off the sidebar app. It does nothing but suck resources away from important things. If you're trying to save resources without having to do that, go start > run > msconfig and unselect items you don't need to start when the computer does under the startup tab at the top.

Items you don't need when the computer starts = basically everything.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 8:56pm
Agreed, the sidebar is an antiquated relic from the alpha releases of Longhorn, and serves no useful purpose, but wastes a significant amount of resources for what it is.

Changing any non-vital services to "manual" instead of automatic, means they will only be turned on when needed; you can do this by running services.msc, if in doubt, there are quides on google available as to what is safe to change to disabled/manual.

By not running services you are not actually using at the time, it can help save memory and a small amount of CPU resources.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 9:47pm
well its not really done much by turning it off still slow i think i will have to sort out pics and vids from my phone now to see if that will help
Posted By: TheDr Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 25th Jun 2011 9:55pm
Out of interest how much memory does your PC have ?
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 11:57am
512 mb
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 12:20pm
You should really have a bare minimum of 1GB for NT6 operating systems (Vista/7/2008), with 2GB highly recommended for comfortable running. What CPU is it?
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 12:24pm
Erm how do I find that out lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 12:36pm
Easy way is to go to the start menu, right click on "My Computer", and select properties.

It will give you an outline of the computer specs within the dialogue box that opens (memory, Processor etc).

Do you know the manufacturer and model number of the computer?
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 12:46pm
right its intel (r) celeron(r) d cpu 3.46ghz 3.46ghz

emachines e4214 operating vista home basic service pack 2 32 bit
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 12:53pm
That CPU is plentiful for NT6.

I assume this is a desktop and not a laptop right (Crucial UK say its a desktop, emachines site is about as much use as a beergarden). If so, your system takes DDR2 5300 RAM upto a maximum of 1GB per socket (2GB max), and it should cost about £20 for 2GB RAM or £12 for 1GB RAM.

1GB - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/115961
2GB - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/116260

It is pretty straight-forward to upgrade memory yourself, there is guides on the net, only takes a few minutes, but I can do it for you for free if you get stuck.

If you upgrade the memory, you will feel the difference right away, and even if you only add 1GB, it will be a massive improvement and make Vista run like it should do (even Vista Basic will struggle like hell with 512MB RAM)!!

smile
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 12:59pm
i have a 512 mb ddr 3200 here is it worth popping that in allthough i think i have another somewhere out my machine that packed up on me (does the higher the number mean better or worse ?)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 1:00pm
3200 is DDR1 im afraid (and never actually JEDEC certified iirc haha), and your machine is DDR2 (newer, better) so it wont work.

smile
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 26th Jun 2011 1:09pm
im sure this was out the good machine i had :-(
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 28th Jun 2011 6:45pm
thanks for all your help folks today i have popped 2gb of memory in it and WOWit works great now to sort out a hard drive and i will be bit happier
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone point me the way forward please - 28th Jun 2011 7:00pm
Glad to hear that man!

laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral