Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 5:57am
Had the blue screen of death on desktop pc this morning, (Windows has a problem and needs to shut down, please check you have adequete disc space, and update bios)i have 300gb free disc space is this just a warning telling me harddrive is due to die yet again?
Am having nothing but trouble with this desk top, it just seems to be running really slow, when i go in to my computer and double click on drive there is a folder called dell with dell stuff in it, but my pc is not a dell its a asus, this stuff was on windows xp disc.
My pc needs needs a proper installation of windows xp, but i have tried to buy a disc but just can not get one.
Posted By: Mark Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 6:44am
Unplug as much of the hardware usb's printers as you can.

remove items 1 at a time.

you might get passed your blue screen.

Worth a shot.

win 7 is pretty good backwards compatible with old hardware.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 6:53am
i just restarted pc and all is well for now, untill the next time, but it is very very slow
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 7:31am
Just pirate win7 and run that dude. Everyone gave you that advice last time you were looking for a windows xp disk -.-

For the blue screen: What's the code you got in the middle of it? Without the code there's no way for people to help fix the problem, there's like 100 different causes of the bsod and the code explains what caused the problem.
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 7:44am
As above posts you need th 0x00000000 code it gives on the bsod just have to google it and you'll find that the problem, on the other I wouldn't recommed having illegal software installed
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 8:19am
I wont run pirate software, am going to source a genuine xp pro, i just hate having to buy another one as i allready have my code, just disc is cracked,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 8:28am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Just pirate win7 and run that dude. Everyone gave you that advice last time you were looking for a windows xp disk -.-

For the blue screen: What's the code you got in the middle of it? Without the code there's no way for people to help fix the problem, there's like 100 different causes of the bsod and the code explains what caused the problem.
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 11
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2.3790.1830
Message: Disk - The driver has detected a controller or cable error.

Explanation
This event indicates that I/O failures have occurred on the volume.

Cause
Possible causes include:

A hardware failure that prevents communication with a disk (for example, a loose cable, a loose disk controller card, or a cable failure).

User Action
Do one or more of the following:

Check the status of your hardware for any failures (for example, a disk, controller card, or cable failure).
Check Event Viewer for additional events from lower-level storage drivers that might indicate the cause of the failure.
Restart the computer.
Contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 8:33am
Ah, 99% of the time it turns out to be the HDD cable, open the tower and take out the data cable from the HDD (It'll be either SATA or the old ribbon type) and plug it back in again. Should solve the problem.

You did install all the required drivers once XP was installed right? Chipset etc?

Edit: Windows XP is old (unsupported!) software. If you're going to buy another copy of it just buy a copy of Win7 instead if you won't pirate it and activate with bootloader.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 8:47am
If resitting the cable doesn't solve the problem you'll have to replace it, but they are pretty cheap. Buttons really.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 8:52am
all drivers were installed, it is a new cable,
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 8:59am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Ah, 99% of the time it turns out to be the HDD cable, open the tower and take out the data cable from the HDD (It'll be either SATA or the old ribbon type) and plug it back in again. Should solve the problem.

You did install all the required drivers once XP was installed right? Chipset etc?

Edit: Windows XP is old (unsupported!) software. If you're going to buy another copy of it just buy a copy of Win7 instead if you won't pirate it and activate with bootloader.

As EX said it'll most likely be the IDE / SATA Cable, sata cables can be picked up at PC world etc, try a small local business for an IDE i had murder finding and IDE recently, our external caddy for back ups went down (maxtor) took it to bits and it was IDE couldn't find them in ARGOS,TESCO,ASDA,COMET OR PC / WORLD try Moreton computers, Hoylake Computers on the cross or The Den Wallasey they should still have a few knocking about

Failing that let us know and i've got a spare A Open one that you can have mate
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 9:03am
Originally Posted by willo
it is a new cable

It's either DoA or not plugged in properly, try taking it out and resitting it.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 10:50am
Originally Posted by willo
I wont run pirate software, am going to source a genuine xp pro, i just hate having to buy another one as i allready have my code, just disc is cracked,

I've got a Dell reinstalation cd Windows XP Pro SP 3 .
Your welcome to borrow it or I can do a copy for you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 10:53am
the disc i have from someone on here is a dell one, but my desktop is not dell, and the pc now has dell cr** on it, and when i delete it pc crashes, i need a original xp pro disc
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 10:54am
Did you download a copy from btjunkie? isohunt? thepiratebay? There's nothing illegal about downloading a copy of the disk if you're using your own cd key.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 10:59am
There's one here for you when you come down later, I'll leave an IDE lead for you as well, just in case.

You did say that it's a new IDE lead, so always possible it's faulty, or needs to be 66 rather than 100
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 11:06am
mine is sata, but i just returned the lead to pc world and got a new one
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blue Screen Of Death - 23rd Jun 2011 11:09am
No problem, I'll leave a SATA one for you, I'll try and find one with a clip so it doesn't fall out smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral