Forums
Posted By: Anonymous advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 6:57am
i sold tomtom on ebay on 10th may, now buyer has open dispute saying not as described amonth after he received it and pay pal have took the money from me, how can he do this after a month of having tomtom, my paypal balance is now showing -£60
so now i am going to do evrything in my power to make sure they dont get the money from me by making sure the money is not in my bank to cover this
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:02am
Go to the pricks house and crack him. Full of dickheads eBay.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:05am
Make sure you get the tomtom back though!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:07am
he says accessories are missing, i told him whilst the case is open i will not do anything to help him
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:08am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Make sure you get the tomtom back though!

yea i will need it to find my way to the local prison, when i get nicked for cracking him lol
Posted By: ex0__ Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:30am
What was your description of the item?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:31am
working perfect, which it was, but he says it wont power up now, and he says there was no mains charger, but in my add it said there was, but its took him a month
Posted By: ex0__ Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:33am
So realistically he's right? If you said it came with accessories and it didn't..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:36am
he left me good feedback when he received it, now a month later he wants refund, i have replied to the case and told him to close the case, and i will seek out and buy the charger and send him it, but i will not do anything to help him whilst case is open
Posted By: ex0__ Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:41am
He probably re-read the ad after he broke it and was looking for any excuse to send the item back.

I've had it happen with a mac mini except I told the guy to do one. He received it, broke it, then sent it back saying he'd open a case if I didn't refund him.

Edit: Not that you can do this, since he's got sort of got a case where as the guy who bought my mac mini didn't have anything.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 7:53am
well he wont get refund from me, i will just make sure there is never enough money in my back to cover it, and i dont have overdraft facility, so he wont get a penny from me, let paypal or ebay take me to court, they still wont get it
Posted By: Garygadge Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 8:02am
If paypal try and take it and there is no money in the account your bank may charge you, you could of course call the bank and get them to cancel any future payment requests from eBay
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 8:10am
thanks for that, i will go to bank now
Posted By: ex0__ Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 8:15am
Originally Posted by Garygadge
If paypal try and take it and there is no money in the account your bank may charge you, you could of course call the bank and get them to cancel any future payment requests from eBay

Pretty sure he can't do that, he's still stuck in a contract with ebay. Plus it wouldn't be ebay making a charge, it'd be paypal.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 8:17am
Hello Willo, why dont you just close your account with ebay and open up another .Ok you will have to start all over again but then pay pal cant take your money, good luck any ways ,June
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 8:25am
Not being funny but if the item is'nt as described then the buyer has a case, I have sold a few things on there and am always as honest about description for mine and the bidders benefit.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 8:26am
Cancel the DD with your bank at once to prevent them taking the money, and use your PayPal account to remove any credit/debit cards. This means you owe PayPal, but you still have the funds in your bank account - it's a few months before they take action when you owe them.

Then go through the resolution process - everyone always assumes that PayPal only protect the buyers, but thats not the case - the fact he has give you good feedback when he recieved the item, means his claim is almost a non-starter. Gather all your evidence together, postal tracking code etc, and comply with all requests for information that PayPal send you.

If the outcome does happen to be that you must refund him, and he must return the item... if you play it correctly, there is a way to fool PayPal's system, but I won't post on here (I did it to some muppet who tried to have me off and was then being a tit about it, making allsorts of false claims, anyway he could do nothing about it, PayPal in the end turned round and told us to resolve between ourselves as it was out of their hands haha).

Good luck!!

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:14am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Cancel the DD with your bank at once to prevent them taking the money, and use your PayPal account to remove any credit/debit cards. This means you owe PayPal, but you still have the funds in your bank account - it's a few months before they take action when you owe them.

Then go through the resolution process - everyone always assumes that PayPal only protect the buyers, but thats not the case - the fact he has give you good feedback when he recieved the item, means his claim is almost a non-starter. Gather all your evidence together, postal tracking code etc, and comply with all requests for information that PayPal send you.

If the outcome does happen to be that you must refund him, and he must return the item... if you play it correctly, there is a way to fool PayPal's system, but I won't post on here (I did it to some muppet who tried to have me off and was then being a tit about it, making allsorts of false claims, anyway he could do nothing about it, PayPal in the end turned round and told us to resolve between ourselves as it was out of their hands haha).

Good luck!!

smile
i cancelled direct debit a few weeks ago, paypal will not let me delete debit card from my account, as it says i have a minus account it shows i owe them £60, please pm me details you talk about, it wont let me close ebay account either
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:15am
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
Not being funny but if the item is'nt as described then the buyer has a case, I have sold a few things on there and am always as honest about description for mine and the bidders benefit.
yes but if item is not as described, then why has he only opened case a month later, i have emails from him stating he is happy with tomtom
Posted By: scoops Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:16am
Tell your bank you've lost the card and they'll cancel it wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:22am
haha, why did i not think of that, excellent, thank you
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:47am
Originally Posted by scoops

Isn't paypal 'connected' to your bank account?
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:49am
www.aboutpaypal.org - every reason NOT to use Paypal

I hate them with a vengance - they let some bar steward take me for a £930 bracelet and it was so easy for him.

Believe it or not, the paypal T&C's on that link - you agreed to every one of them when you signed up for your account.

But who read's the small print - right?

The safe way to pay online? NOT!!! There are just as many scammers abusing the paypal system now ( if not more ) as there was when ebay first started.

I've been scammed loads of times for various things but the bracelet was the worst - It's so easy to do and open to abuse.
I could make a fortune if I wanted but thankfully, I'm not that kind of person.

Good Luck Willo
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:52am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Originally Posted by scoops

Isn't paypal 'connected' to your bank account?
i canceld direct debit, and just about to go bank and cancel card
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 9:54am
volly: they wont rip me off, they can take me to court, they will not get anything from me, this has put me off ebay now, but they wont let me close account
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 10:12am
They'll try.

The scammer ended up sending my Paypal account to around -£830 ( ish ) - they called me and sent me emails for around 18 months before giving up.

Everytime they called me, I told them they had acted illegally as they are operating under U.S. laws but here in the U.K.
I pretty much begged them to take me to court as I knew I'd win but they wouldn't because they knew it aswell.

Just let them keep trying it on and eventually, they'll get bored.

I now use my mum's ebay/paypal account but only for buying - I won't trust it for selling anymore. I use other sites with different payment methods.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 10:33am
As someone who takes in the region of 1000 payments by PayPal each year (used to be quote a lot more), and having used the service since it was called Billpoint, I can honestly say that I have a lot of faith in their service and procedures; sure it does not always work out well, and they have had their bad press over the years, but generally, they have always been very good with me.

As I said earlier Willo, fight the case, you are almost certainly onto a winner anyway given the claimant has left positive feedback, and the legnth of time that has elapsed; I won a case a few years back, whereby I sold a K800i Silver when they first came out, a week prior to Christmas (2004 iirc?). Anyway, the phone sold for circa £300, and though the item sold two days before the final working day/Royal Mail delivery day before Christmas, I recieved an email requesting it to be delivered before Xmas day. So I sent, as I was going to anyway given the value, via Special Delivery.

On January 5th, I recieved a message from PayPal informing me that the buyer had filed a claim stating they hadnt recieved the item. They hadnt left feedback, and I was worried I was going to lose the money; but I stayed calm, cancelled my DD with the bank and removed my cards from PayPal, complied with all PayPals requests for information, provided the tracking number etc... and 10 days later, they found in my favour, and removed the hold on my account/minus balance.

Never heard anything again!! Lol!
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 10:39am
As someone who takes in the region of 1000 payments by PayPal each year (used to be quote a lot more), and having used the service since it was called Billpoint, I can honestly say that I have a lot of faith in their service and procedures; sure it does not always work out well, and they have had their bad press over the years, but generally, they have always been very good with me.

As I said earlier Willo, fight the case, you are almost certainly onto a winner anyway given the claimant has left positive feedback, and the legnth of time that has elapsed; I won a case a few years back, whereby I sold a K800i Silver when they first came out, a week prior to Christmas (2004 iirc?). Anyway, the phone sold for circa £300, and though the item sold two days before the final working day/Royal Mail delivery day before Christmas, I recieved an email requesting it to be delivered before Xmas day. So I sent, as I was going to anyway given the value, via Special Delivery.

On January 5th, I recieved a message from PayPal informing me that the buyer had filed a claim stating they hadnt recieved the item. They hadnt left feedback, and I was worried I was going to lose the money; but I stayed calm, cancelled my DD with the bank and removed my cards from PayPal, complied with all PayPals requests for information, provided the tracking number etc... and 10 days later, they found in my favour, and removed the hold on my account/minus balance.

If you have proof of postage and a tracking number that proves delivery then that's all good and well.

My case was different and oh so easy to do - I won't go into full details on an open forum ( not that I don't trust anyone but just think it's a bad idea, lol ) but basically, it was HIS proof of delivery when returning the item that screwed me.

Also, when selling large items like cars e.t.c. NEVER use paypal because if the buyer claims non-receipt after they have collected the car, you don't have proof of postage to show paypal ( this happened to my next door neighbour and he lost a £3500 celica ) - the buyer gave false name and address details and it's probably somewhere in Eastern Europe now.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 10:40am
Originally Posted by Volly
Everytime they called me, I told them they had acted illegally as they are operating under U.S. laws but here in the U.K.
I pretty much begged them to take me to court as I knew I'd win but they wouldn't because they knew it aswell.

Actually, I think you will find they currently operate under EU law, being based in Luxembourg and registered as a European bank, regulated by the Luxembourg equivalent to the FSA. Previous to this (they changed in 2007 or 2008 iirc), their EU division operated as a UK entity based in London, and was regulated by the FSA.

PayPal in Europe have not traded under US law since they used Wells Fargo as their European intermediary bank, and even then the operations for the transfer of money were carried out via their London arm, thus regulated by UK law.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 10:46am

If you have proof of postage and a tracking number that proves delivery then that's all good and well.

My case was different and oh so easy to do - I won't go into full details on an open forum ( not that I don't trust anyone but just think it's a bad idea, lol ) but basically, it was HIS proof of delivery when returning the item that screwed me.

Also, when selling large items like cars e.t.c. NEVER use paypal because if the buyer claims non-receipt after they have collected the car, you don't have proof of postage to show paypal ( this happened to my next door neighbour and he lost a £3500 celica ) - the buyer gave false name and address details and it's probably somewhere in Eastern Europe now.

Not sure why anyone would use PayPal to sell high-value goods, cash or cleared bank transfer/cheque (6 days after clearance, the funds cannot be recalled iirc), personally I wouldnt. I have a merchant account, and after a few chancers over the years charging back through PayPal for high-value products and services, I now won't accept PayPal for anything over £200 - PayPal have always been very helpful, but I feel their security systems are not as strong as they could be, and I have chargeback protection on the merchant account, so it helps when things do go wrong.

But I can't really say I totally blame PayPal for it, it's the scammers who are the guilty party, the problem I think PayPal have, is they are not secure enough with regards checks etc, so they do tend to attract the Grrrs in society who just want scam everyone.

frown
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 10:57am

Actually, I think you will find they currently operate under EU law, being based in Luxembourg and registered as a European bank, regulated by the Luxembourg equivalent to the FSA. Previous to this (they changed in 2007 or 2008 iirc), their EU division operated as a UK entity based in London, and was regulated by the FSA.

PayPal in Europe have not traded under US law since they used Wells Fargo as their European intermediary bank, and even then the operations for the transfer of money were carried out via their London arm, thus regulated by UK law.

Ah, well either way, they wouldn't take me to court for whatever reason and I just presumed it was because I mentioned them operating illegally.
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 11:00am

Not sure why anyone would use PayPal to sell high-value goods, cash or cleared bank transfer/cheque (6 days after clearance, the funds cannot be recalled iirc), personally I wouldnt. I have a merchant account, and after a few chancers over the years charging back through PayPal for high-value products and services, I now won't accept PayPal for anything over £200 - PayPal have always been very helpful, but I feel their security systems are not as strong as they could be, and I have chargeback protection on the merchant account, so it helps when things do go wrong.

But I can't really say I totally blame PayPal for it, it's the scammers who are the guilty party, the problem I think PayPal have, is they are not secure enough with regards checks etc, so they do tend to attract the Grrrs in society who just want scam everyone.

frown

People use Paypal to sell high value goods on Ebay because Ebay say they HAVE TO!! Part of Ebay T&C's that ALL sellers must offer Paypal as a method of payment.

I don't blame Paypal for the scammers either, I'm just saying I don't agree with how easy they make it for them.

There'll always be sammers on every site but Paypal claiming to be "the safe way to buy and sell online" just isn't true - for buyers or sellers.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 11:06am
They wont take you to court, because its easier to sell your debt as part of a potfolio to a debt recovery agency for a cut-price, and let them do the hard work.

I though eBay allow Bank Transfer, Cheque, Postal Order and CoC - I know they stopped all other 3PP's such as Nochex a few years ago though?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 12:36pm
Part of Ebay T&C's that ALL sellers must offer Paypal as a method of payment

No they don't, you can specify that payment is NOT through paypal.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 2:47pm
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
Hello Willo, why dont you just close your account with ebay and open up another .Ok you will have to start all over again but then pay pal cant take your money, good luck any ways ,June
, not as easy as that, it wont let me close it, as outstanding case open
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 2:53pm
They wont take you to court, because its easier to sell your debt as part of a potfolio to a debt recovery agency for a cut-price, and let them do the hard work.

I though eBay allow Bank Transfer, Cheque, Postal Order and CoC - I know they stopped all other 3PP's such as Nochex a few years ago though?

No debt collection agency ever involved - they just knew they were wrong ( this was about 3 years ago now ).

They do still allow you to offer other payment types but one of them HAS to be Paypal.
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 2:54pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

No you can't - it's against T&C's.
If somebody reports your advert for saying "no paypal" then they delete it - happened to me many times.

You can still offer other payment options but Paypal HAS to be one of them.

Posted By: TheDr Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 2:54pm
Paypals terms and conditions show:

4.2 Use of PayPal on eBay. Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment method in their eBay listings must follow these requirements:
a.
Accept PayPal if the eBay listing includes PayPal as a payment method.

b.
Accept PayPal payments via all PayPal funding sources from a buyer, including but not limited to eCheque and credit cards.

c.
Accept cross border PayPal transactions which are permitted by PayPal if the eBay listing offers postage outside the place where you are registered.

So if you say you'll accept it, and EBay often say you must, that you have to take it, but you can insist on extra security, especially with vehicle collections (I always take a picture of the person next to the car with the whole car, including reg plate in view, never had anybody mind)

I've been using eBay and Paypal for years (they are part of the same company) and have seen just about every scam going.
Cheques from abroad may "clear" in you account after a few days but aren't "given value" for several weeks, so the funds can be called back by the bank at any time, often after you think you have the money and the item is overseas.

I've sold phones where they've claimed they've not arrived (always send by recorded post), I had one buyer claim the phone I sent him was a dummy, however he was a bit thick and had already emailed me to ask for the password on the phone (I always send them out with a password on so I can prove they have arrived working) which I forwarded to Paypal.
I had someone try to claim that an AppleMac they'd been sent had arrived broken, it took them a month to notice the big crack across the screen and when asked why they said that they'd only just got the parcel as they'd been on holiday, Royal Mail provided a copy of their signature for the morning after I posted it...busted.

There are loads more, Paypal have just issued me with a Mastercard linked directly to my Paypal account (I've had the Paypal PrePay card for ages), so no doubt there are a load of new scams about to hit the streets with this.

My advice, don't go all ballistic on Paypal, they will help you, don't go the whole I'm not doing anything with the buyer, it won't achieve anything. Right now the buyer doesn't have his money back Paypal is just holding it, all you have to do is reply to the resolution, say that the item sent was completely as described with all accessories as described, that the buyer has received it in good working order as proven by his positive feedback, and it would now appear that he has broken it and is trying to claim a refund for something he has done for which he is not eligible and can you please have your money released.

It can take about a month (sometimes 2 or 3) to sort out (which is why many people have muliple eBay/Paypal accounts), but make sure you call them, as much of their procedure is automated, it can quite easily tell the buyer to return the item to you and refund him once he provides proof of postage, so call them and get a real person to look at the case, and the feedback, and you might get it resolved quite quickly.

When you call them, count how many times they tell you that they will "escalate" your case, always funny how they think that will impress you.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 2:59pm
No debt collection agency ever involved - they just knew they were wrong ( this was about 3 years ago now )

If thats the case, whats your complaint about them? By your own admission, they knew they were wrong to pursue you, and have acted according (leaving you alone now) - had that been the HSBC or Capital One (most other banks basically) or even Sky etc, they would have hounded you, then passed the debt on to an internal debt-collection dept, and then eventually sold the debt off in a portfolio to an external debt-collection agency, who would have taken you to court eventually - regardless of whether you were right or wrong - so what you are saying, actually makes PayPal look better than most companies!

By the way, there is still time for them to pass the debt on/take you to court, so don't count your chickens just yet.
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:02pm
No debt collection agency ever involved - they just knew they were wrong ( this was about 3 years ago now )

If thats the case, whats your complaint about them? By your own admission, they knew they were wrong to pursue you, and have acted according (leaving you alone now) - had that been the HSBC or Capital One (most other banks basically) or even Sky etc, they would have hounded you, then passed the debt on to an internal debt-collection dept, and then eventually sold the debt off in a portfolio to an external debt-collection agency, who would have taken you to court eventually - regardless of whether you were right or wrong - so what you are saying, actually makes PayPal look better than most companies!

By the way, there is still time for them to pass the debt on/take you to court, so don't count your chickens just yet.

My complaint is that the guy still got a refund AND kept my bracelet!!

I don't want to say how he did it on here but I'll PM you the details
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:05pm

I have a feeling I know how he's done it, and I have a feeling it will be down to playing the PayPal dispute procedure as it is quite obviously flawwed in a few respects, but would be interested to see what it was.

smile
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:09pm

Scratch that - your PM box is full.

Basically the guy won a bracelet from me at £930.
The auction ended on a Sunday evening and he paid Via Paypal immediately.
I told him on the Monday that it had been sent.
2 hours later, he opened a dispute against me for "item not as described".
How the hell could he have known that when it was still probably sat in my local post office?
Anyway, to cut a long story short, after a week or two Paypal agreed that he could have a refund if he sent the bracelet back to me.
I reluctantly agreed.
The postman brought the Special Delivery package to my door where I obviously signed for it and he left.
Opened the packet and the scamming bar steward had only returned the box that the bracelet was originally in and NOT the bracelet.
Paypal said I had received it as proof of delivery was available to view online via Royal Mail.
They refunded him and sent my Paypal account over drawn while he happily kept my bracelet.
Cheeky get even left me positive feedback saying "Thanks!"

THAT'S my beef with Paypal, lol.

Oh and just incase anyone wants to dispute the Paypal thing on ebay, here's the link on Ebay stating that sellers MUST offer Paypal as one of the options :

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

about half way down the page.

I know that the scammers are the ones to blame, I'm just saying that Paypal make it far too easy for them.

Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:12pm
Dang, 99/100 and it says full, stupid thing!! Always happens to me that!

Exactly as I expected, the flaw there is all they require is a tracking code; there is another similar flaw in that procedure, which I wont post, but I accidentally found it (its to do with the timeframe)... you will probably grasp it hehe.

smile
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:15pm
Dang, 99/100 and it says full, stupid thing!! Always happens to me that!

Exactly as I expected, the flaw there is all they require is a tracking code; there is another major flaw in that procedure, which I wont post, but I accidentally found it (its to do with the timeframe)... you will probably grasp it hehe.

smile

Lol, but do you see my problem with them now?

They don't operate fairly at all - so long as they get thier fee's, they don't really give a stuff.
Which is another thing that p**ses me off about them.
Paypal and Ebay are essentially the same people ( one owns the other but not sure which way around ) yet you pay a listing fee, a final value fee and a Paypal fee ( most of the time ) 3 fee's for selling one item!!

Grabbing sods!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:17pm

If somebody reports your advert for saying "no paypal" then they delete it - happened to me many times.

Checking through some of the plethora of ebay rules and guidelines, we are both correct, in some places it says you don't have to offer paypal, in others it says you must. I've been caught out the other way in the past, I won something and then noticed that the seller had specified no paypal.

It will be interesting to see if some ombudsman or other is aware of this - the auction and banking comapnies should not be intertwined to that extent, I'm sure ebay haven't got a right to insist on this.
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:21pm
[quote=Volly]Part of Ebay T&C's that ALL sellers must offer Paypal as a method of payment

Checking through some of the plethora of ebay rules and guidelines, we are both correct, in some places it says you don't have to offer paypal, in others it says you must. I've been caught out the other way in the past, I won something and then noticed that the seller had specified no paypal.

It will be interesting to see if some ombudsman or other is aware of this - the auction and banking comapnies should not be intertwined to that extent, I'm sure ebay haven't got a right to insist on this. [/quote]

Yeah, I think you're now allowed to leave Paypal off if you advertise on Ebay Motors but you MUST offer it on Ebay.co.uk and Ebay.com or something like that anyway.

I think it's wrong too - they shouldn't be forcing people into having to use a fee paying system that Ebay will benefit from, even if the customer doesn't want to use it.
You should have a choice but I guess it's thier site so thier rules ( although they do like to change the rules in thier favour from time to time ).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:23pm
I can see why your miffed yes, but at least they havent come after you for the money; technically, the dispute has been resolved, and if it still stands, you should take the person to the small claims court - it has little to do with PayPal in all fairness.

It isnt PayPal who have robbed you, it is the scammer.

With regards PayPal/eBay, that goes back to eBay originally owning Billpoint (in partnership with Wells Fargo) and PayPal being a competitor to Billpoint. When eBay bought PayPal, they phased out Billpoint and replaced it with PayPal, and because PayPal is still essentially a seperate entity, they still have to make a return or investors and cover their costs, hence the fees. If they passed the costs on to everyone, regardless of payment type, that wouldnt be fair to those who accept other methods.

Iirc, there was a transaction fee even when Billpoint was the primary 3PP for eBay sales.

Look at it this way, Microsoft make the Xbox, and then charge users for games developed by Microsoft studio's etc, would you expect that they should be free as well?
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:29pm
I can see why your miffed yes, but at least they havent come after you for the money; technically, the dispute has been resolved, and if it still stands, you should take the person to the small claims court - it has little to do with PayPal in all fairness.

It isnt PayPal who have robbed you, it is the scammer.

With regards PayPal/eBay, that goes back to eBay originally owning Billpoint (in partnership with Wells Fargo) and PayPal being a competitor to Billpoint. When eBay bought PayPal, they phased out Billpoint and replaced it with PayPal, and because PayPal is still essentially a seperate entity, they still have to make a return or investors and cover their costs, hence the fees. If they passed the costs on to everyone, regardless of payment type, that wouldnt be fair to those who accept other methods.

Iirc, there was a transaction fee even when Billpoint was the primary 3PP for eBay sales.

Look at it this way, Microsoft make the Xbox, and then charge users for games developed by Microsoft studio's etc, would you expect that they should be free as well?

Don't see how it's been resolved - I'm still down a £930 bracelet which will actually be worth double that now ( maybe more ) due to gold prices rising since it was sold.

The details on his paypal account were fake - false name, address was empty property e.t.c.

Upton Polics station took my report but said there was literally nothing they could do about it.

With regards to fee's, I agree with that, I was just moaning about it while I was in the mood for moaning, lol.

It's the scammer who robbed me - YES.
Did Paypal do anything to try and prevent it? Not really.
They made it far too easy. Even though they knew he had opened his dispute before he could have possibly recieved the item - they still found in his favour.
Like I said though, it happens all the time, always has, always will.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 3:36pm
I mean its resolved, as per their (somewhat flawwed) resolution procedures, which were also in place during the time they were regulated by the FSA and subject to the Financial Ombudsman.

smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 4:30pm
As I said before, CALL THEM, their entire dispute service is automated, and uses very poorly constructed software, it looks for tracking numbers and confirms either was if present or not, it doesn't look for dates of complaint (within hours of itme being paid for so cannot possibly have arrived), ir doesn't see if the item returned is the same as the one sent (a common problem) it just uses a very (VERY) simple logic gate.

I've had resolutions go against me before, a quick call to them and ask for it to be looked at by a human and their attitude does change, it might take some time but by law they have to keep records for a minimum of six years, so they'll still have records of this, just get someone to look at it properly, and point out that they filed their complaint before they could possibly have received it, keep at it, you might be suprised.
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 6:36pm
I mean its resolved, as per their (somewhat flawwed) resolution procedures, which were also in place during the time they were regulated by the FSA and subject to the Financial Ombudsman.

smile

Ah, gotcha now grin
Posted By: Volly Re: advice plz ref ebay - 10th Jun 2011 6:37pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
As I said before, CALL THEM, their entire dispute service is automated, and uses very poorly constructed software, it looks for tracking numbers and confirms either was if present or not, it doesn't look for dates of complaint (within hours of itme being paid for so cannot possibly have arrived), ir doesn't see if the item returned is the same as the one sent (a common problem) it just uses a very (VERY) simple logic gate.

I've had resolutions go against me before, a quick call to them and ask for it to be looked at by a human and their attitude does change, it might take some time but by law they have to keep records for a minimum of six years, so they'll still have records of this, just get someone to look at it properly, and point out that they filed their complaint before they could possibly have received it, keep at it, you might be suprised.

I spoke to numerous people at the time - none of which would help me as they said there was no proof the package was empty when he sent it.

His word against mine really but as he was the buyer, they found in his favour.

Useless bunch, lol
Posted By: lau2908 Re: advice plz ref ebay - 11th Jun 2011 12:41am
paypal have screwed me over a few times but it just makes you wise to it, ive had multiple ebay/paypal accounts over the years taking 1000's of payments a month, you'll always get the odd idiot trying it on.

if the dispute is still open it should let you click allow buyer to return the item to you for a full refund, unfortunately if you just tell him no then he will leave it open and get a refund anyway, at least if you try that then they have to provide tracking info to paypal... not that its guaranteed to be accurate tracking info but he might send it back to you but deffo worth a try i think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 11th Jun 2011 8:24am
Originally Posted by willo
i sold tomtom on ebay on 10th may, now buyer has open dispute saying not as described amonth after he received it and pay pal have took the money from me, how can he do this after a month of having tomtom, my paypal balance is now showing -£60
so now i am going to do evrything in my power to make sure they dont get the money from me by making sure the money is not in my bank to cover this
Well I woke to email this morning stating the buyer has closed the case, I sent him about 5 emails advising him he will lose case as he left me good feedback saying he was happy with item, money has been returned to my paypal, but i can not delete my bank from paypal, it says there is a pending transaction, but there is not
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 11th Jun 2011 8:34am
Pending transaction could be the money being returned? Besides, takes a few days for any pending transaction to clear.

As I said before, I don't believe you can delete your bank account with paypal as its been used to verify your account.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: advice plz ref ebay - 11th Jun 2011 8:38am
i have just closed my palpal account now, and i will close my ebay account, this is the virst problem i have had with ebay buyer, and its put me off, the buyer is all ways right, its too easy to be robbed, if i was that kind of person i could make hundereds every week on ebay, its so easy to scam
© Wirral-Wikiwirral