Forums
Posted By: buddy BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 1:15pm
Thinking of changing from Virgin to BT - what are you thoughts/experience?? What's this "Hub" like??

Main reason for change is line rental £120/year if paid in advance ie £10/month plus 4 months free!!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 1:19pm
line rental is non existent though with virgin media?...
Posted By: buddy Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 1:37pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
line rental is non existent though with virgin media?...

Virgin line rental is about £14/month plus about £13/month for broadband
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 1:47pm
BT vs Virgin Media; no comparison, VM wins everytime.

BT is, generally, just about as bad as it gets for their broadband service!
Posted By: philmch Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 1:57pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

I couldn't disagree more. I swapped over from Virgin to BT about 2 months ago and it all went like clockwork as far as BT is concerned. The cretins at Virgin did however cut me off 3 days before my changeover day.

The swap to BT has saved me a small fortune in line rental, their hub is 100% reliable (unlike the crappy Thompson Speedtouch modem supplied by Virgin), and their customer service is good too.

I'd say go with BT any day.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 2:08pm
VM is by far better than BT. Can't really go wrong with them. Plus VM won't give out details unless subpoena'd, BT hands them over without a court order.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 2:12pm
Wouldn't trust either, use your mobile phone provider, costs nothing.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 2:33pm
Originally Posted by philmch

I couldn't disagree more. I swapped over from Virgin to BT about 2 months ago and it all went like clockwork as far as BT is concerned. The cretins at Virgin did however cut me off 3 days before my changeover day.

The swap to BT has saved me a small fortune in line rental, their hub is 100% reliable (unlike the crappy Thompson Speedtouch modem supplied by Virgin), and their customer service is good too.

I'd say go with BT any day.

Must admit, im not with Virgin (with o2); but have 3 family members, who despite advising them to avoid BT, have gone with them, and all have experienced shoddy service. My mother was left without internet for 3 weeks and customer service were as useless as a doormat in assisting her. She left BT for Virgin and has had no problem - though she hasnt had to encounter their CS as yet.

However, if both companies are as a bad as each other, at least Virgin will annihilate BT when it comes to performance (speed), BT are one of the slowest, and most expensive ISP's out there and have a reputation almost as bad as Talk Talk, and if going for xDSL, there are far better providers out there!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 3:05pm
My virgin broadband is absolutely brilliant. Never any issues with connection and always ultra quick.
I'm still not aware of a line rental charge though.... confused

...and i know we're not talking about sky but I like if my V+ HD box breaks virgin come and replace it. However with sky you have to pay for a new one... don't know how BT work?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 3:08pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
My virgin broadband is absolutely brilliant. Never any issues with connection and always ultra quick.
I'm still not aware of a line rental charge though.... confused

Iirc, you get a discount if you take their landline service, tis only a few quid I think though.

They generally sell you the service with the landline, and it's only if you specifically ask for it without the landline, they sell you separately, at the higher price.

smile
Posted By: polo_phil Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 3:11pm
Thanks Matt. I don't have a landline myself but remember when looking at my mum's bill the other day there didn't appear to be a seperate charge. she's got tv, bb, landline and mobile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 3:19pm
Tis hard for anyone to say, as there is different options for the broadband, telephone and TV services - you can check at the Virgin Media website though!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 3:25pm
As Matt says Summer depends what you want really... I was quite suprised by the amount of properties that aren't able to get Full Virgin Media... It is honestly a factor in moving house!
Posted By: buddy Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 4:11pm
My VM package costs £39/month which includes line rental,broadband, and TV (basic TV no sport/premium films) add some calls and my bill is about £50/month - just wanted to reduce it

Thanks for your replies - may stick with VM and change to line rental + broadband for about £28 plus calls
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 4:21pm
Telephone VM, tell them you are considering moving to BT because its going to save you money, they will likely offer you a discount.

Or be bold, and tell them you wish to cancel straight off, because your going with BT. They should deffo offer you a discount to stay with them!

Haggle haggle haggle, VM can't afford to lose customers, their churn rate is bad enough as it is, and they are desperate to compete with Sky primarily, and BT secondly!!
Posted By: buddy Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 4:35pm
Telephone VM, tell them you are considering moving to BT because its going to save you money, they will likely offer you a discount.

Or be bold, and tell them you wish to cancel straight off, because your going with BT. They should deffo offer you a discount to stay with them!

Haggle haggle haggle, VM can't afford to lose customers, their churn rate is bad enough as it is, and they are desperate to compete with Sky primarily, and BT secondly!!

Perhaps they have changed their policy Matt - I phoned them twice and they wouldn't budge - even when I told them I was leaving
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 4:37pm
Gutted, they must be having a bad day or summit; try again tomorrow, and if not, try next week hehe! Unusual for VM not give discounts, you could ask for the customer retentions team when you phone up.

How long have you been with them? With different providers it varies how you're treated, some reward people who have been with them for years, others try to keep ahold of people who are just coming out of contract but expect long-term customers will just stay anyway, and are trying their luck.

Good luck!
Posted By: buddy Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 6:05pm
Gutted, they must be having a bad day or summit; try again tomorrow, and if not, try next week hehe! Unusual for VM not give discounts, you could ask for the customer retentions team when you phone up.

How long have you been with them? With different providers it varies how you're treated, some reward people who have been with them for years, others try to keep ahold of people who are just coming out of contract but expect long-term customers will just stay anyway, and are trying their luck.

Good luck!

Thanks Matt - been with them since they were Cable and Wireless - best part of 30 years!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BT vs Virgin Media - 7th Jun 2011 6:09pm
Originally Posted by buddy

Good luck!

Thanks Matt - been with them since they were Cable and Wireless - best part of 30 years!!!

You mean Nynex then; CWCOM (in the Bagu area) was born out of Nynex and Mercury.

Jeeze, I bet thats a trip down memory lane for you, Nynex haha! laugh

Tis about time they gave you something, though they probably won't have you listed prior to the time when NTL overpaid for CWCOM in 2000, as the systems/contracts were all changed then.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral