Forums
Posted By: phalinmegob gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 6:28am
hi all, i am about to buy a new tv for the missus and am a bit confused by all these different types.it will be wall mounted but can someone explain the difference between plasma,led,and lcd.which is better and why,have seen a 46" lcd for £399 which seems a good deal.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 7:43am
If you're going to go higher than 40" I think most shops would point you towards a plasma screen. The picture quality is better on plasma tv's (better color, refresh rates, etc) than lcd's but you can only get plasma at 42"+ I think. Plus they cost more.

This site might have some cheaper prices for you. Also measure before you buy, anything above 40" usually looks hideous in terms of how much space they take up in the room.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 7:44am
LED is what's used to 'backlight' the screen, Plasmas use more electric and act like heaters so not good in the summer, LCD are limited in screen size.
Go for LCD unless your brewsted to buy a top plasma.

While we are on the subject I need a screen for a 50" Pioneer plasma, model number PDP-LX5090 and before you all say 'it's not worth fixing' it's a £3000 tv. http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/PDP-LX5090/index.html
Posted By: bert1 Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 7:50am
This link may help

http://www.geek.com/hdtv-buyers-guide/display-technology/
Posted By: ex0__ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 9:30am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
'it's not worth fixing'

This. Buy an 8" black & white, they are all the range tease
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 10:38am
Originally Posted by ex0__
'it's not worth fixing'

This. Buy an 8" black & white, they are all the range tease

Aye, at least they survive the wrath of the 'wii' remote laugh
Posted By: insanekitty Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 10:54am
Having had a 42" Plasma and now on a 42" LED I would say the LED gives a brighter clearer picture and is also a lot cooler and also just 40mm thick. Excellent for hanging on the wall.
Samsung makes the best screens as these are also fitted in the Sony Bravia just with the Sony engine driving the picture is better but more expensive.
I cannot fault the 3 Samsungs in our house especially the kids 3D ones.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 11:10am
withthat we have a samsung LCD in the bedroom, perfect quality for the money and bright picture, never had a problem with it.

Plasmas can be better but only if your willing to pay top dollar.
I've had both, downside to LCD is the limited size. Plasmas take more of a beating though, ie if the screen gets hit, out of the two the LCD would break first. smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 2:24pm
toshiba on cheshire oaks has an 40 inch lcd tv for £269 with usb to watch movis off memory sticks.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 2:36pm
Thanks wheels for the heads up.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 3:25pm
Don't buy 40", put the extra couple of quid to it and get a 42" as they're more popular. Panasonic are a good make but you also pay for the quality, panasonic are the leftover bits of Technics.
Also as your buying new make sure you get full HD and more than 1 HDMI socket as it's a pain swapping them when you wanna play on console or watch blu-ray.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 3:34pm
Thanks Ste,in no rush for one just keeping my eye out for a bargain.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 3:36pm
Also as your buying new make sure you get full HD and more than 1 HDMI socket as it's a pain swapping them when you wanna play on console or watch blu-ray.

Unless you've got a PS3 ... laugh
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 4:17pm
thanks for that,probably gonna go for the 46" lcd from argos
Posted By: sean Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 4:29pm
i bought a 52" samsung cos my mate has a 50" one so abviously i had to go one better and my missus said "2 inches won't make a difference"

i replied "you wouldn't be saying that if i had 2 inches extra" laffin
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 4:36pm
the 46" is perfect for the size of the chimney breast it is going to located on,a 50" will just overlap the edge of the wall..thanks for all your help.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 4:43pm
get this raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 5:54pm
panasonic are the leftover bits of Technics.

Naughty naughty, Panasonic are the biggest electrical manufacturer in the world, owned by Matsushita. Matsushita launched Technics in the 60's or 70's as a premium audio brand - as people moved away from premium systems towards cheap, short-life mini-systems etc in the 90's, Matsushita gradually wound the Technics brand down in the early 2000's (similar to what Sony did with Aiwa, albeit Aiwa was placed as the budget brand), except in the professional DJ sector, where the Technics 1210 turntables are still widely regarded by DJ's as the finest direct-drive turntables ever created.

Indeed Panasonic has, over the years, benefitted from Technics by using many of it's technologies in their products (just like a lot of cars benefit from developments [particuarly safety] in their motor-racing arms), but to say that Panasonic is just the left overs of Technics is well wide of the mark.

In fact, if anything, most of the Technics gear made from the mid-90's onwards was actually Panasonic hardware, with a more classy/premium styled casing, or at worst, simply re-branded Panasonic gear (similar to what happens in the world of cars, Mazda 101 and Ford Fiesta being an example). Don't get me wrong, it was still top-notch stuff, using a lot of Technics-derived technology (or to be correct, technology that was developed by Matsushita, but launched at bleeding edge in Technics equipment, commanding premium prices, prior to becoming mainstream), but much of it was built as Panasonic gear, and then rebranded in the UK market and a few others where the Technics brand was still prominent and highly respected.

Technics never really made anything outside of the realms of audio, and Panasonic/Matsushita are not only the worldwide market leader, but a key innovator and technology R&D company, in everything from audio to TV. Indeed, the IPS-Alpha panel in my Hitachi TV is a Panasonic, and for LCD's, Panasonic IPS-Alpha panels are regarded as the best IPS panels available.

Iirc, for instance, Panasonic are pretty much the only company that outside of Japan, have had the balls (or indeed maybe the only company big enough to take the inevitable hit whilst the sales are laughable at the extreme prices [still £400+ despite dropping from £1200 at launch]) to launch mainstream television-orientated Blu-ray recorders.

smile
Posted By: bri445 Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 6:42pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Technics never really made anything outside of the realms of audio, and Panasonic/Matsushita are not only the worldwide market leader, but a key innovator and technology R&D company, in everything from audio to TV.

They also made highly-respected electronic organs, up to the '80s.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 6:55pm
Originally Posted by bri445
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Technics never really made anything outside of the realms of audio, and Panasonic/Matsushita are not only the worldwide market leader, but a key innovator and technology R&D company, in everything from audio to TV.

They also made highly-respected electronic organs, up to the '80s.

Indeed, silly me for forgetting, the missus has one!!

smack
Posted By: bri445 Re: gonna buy a new tv - 24th May 2011 7:00pm
Me, too!
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: gonna buy a new tv - 25th May 2011 11:01pm
Mate, don't get a telly from Argos! Its criminal!! Get your self over to richer sounds.

In my opinion for sub 500 quid it makes no difference in pic quality. They are all pretty standard. Speaker quality is where you will see variance. If you are not using an amp then get over to RS and have a look at
What they have, if it was my money? 350-400 on a telly and 100-150 on a soundbar. Larrrfing
© Wirral-Wikiwirral