Forums
Posted By: MerseyMan Trouble uploading attachments within hotmail - 3rd May 2011 5:52pm
Hiya people
I've decided to ask for help after I've hit a brick wall trying to help my mum send attachments to her hotmail account. It is only recently that she has been having trouble attaching pictures to her e-mail. I tried to remedy the problem by installing internet explorer 9 for Vista on her laptop and installing any important updates needed for her system. It appears to have not worked! frown Whenever my mum tries to attach any pictures in her e-mail the loading bar will load up as normal but towards the end just as you think the picture is uploaded a pop-up message is displayed saying that she is not connected to the internet or hotmail )(I will verify if needed) The internet is working just fine, just the attaching pictures is driving my mum up the wall. Short of her getting a new e-mail account I hope someone here will have an idea what's going wrong. I have logged into her e-mail account on my laptop running windows 7 and it works just fine. I have reset her internet explorer settings but still doesn't work.She relies on her e-mail to contact her step sister in the US and send photos and this problem is driving her up the wall.
Can anyone help?
Posted By: Mark Re: Trouble uploading attachments within hotmail - 3rd May 2011 6:01pm
Firewall / parental settings?

Download Firefox smile
see if it still does it smile

is she on a wifi connection ?
if so try changing the channel she is using in the frequency setting in the router.

Cheers Mark
I will try downloading Firefox tomorrow and if that fails will change the frequency settings on her modem. Not sure exactly what router it is, I do know it's a Belkin router and modem in one.
Thanks
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Trouble uploading attachments within hotmail - 3rd May 2011 11:59pm
Watch the router log in realtime and see if the connection is actually dropping or if IE9 is just reporting that it is. I'd imagine Firefox should solve the problem though, IE is god awful.

If it doesn't, could check the picture size? Is she trying to send massive 2-3mb images instead of just saving them as PNG's first to make them smaller?
Hi there
Thanks for your reply, the size of the pictures are roughly about 2 to 3 meg, but I can attach them fine on my laptop. Will try FireFox tonight though, fingers crossed. Router log real-time? Don't know how to do that. Hoping FireFox does the biz. smile
Thanks
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Trouble uploading attachments within hotmail - 4th May 2011 10:51am
Those are big big images. If she's on a very low speed internet line I've seen connections fail while transferring simply because the connection has timed out.

Can she send a small text document or something? If that works then you can look into resizing the images if it turns out the connection just can't handle big file sizes.
If Firefox doesn't fix it try Chrome, or compress the images before sending.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Trouble uploading attachments within hotmail - 23rd May 2011 2:55pm
I find Google chrome very fast and reliable.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Trouble uploading attachments within hotmail - 23rd May 2011 3:12pm
Chrome is sweet-ass, like Safari, but personally prefer Iron as its lighter and has some extra benefits. I use Chrome in work though and IE/K-Meleon at home (depending on the PC im using lol).

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral