Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 9:19am
I have a Compaq Presario cq61 laptop that I use at work. Oddly the shift keys are playing up.

On the left shift key it won't make the letters z,x,c,v,m into upper case but will make the rest of keys into upper case.

The right shift key won't make q,w,e,r,u,i,o,p into capital letters but the rest of the keys are fine.

Strange.

Thoughts?

I am thinking I may need to replace the keyboard pad but can't seem to find a replacemenmt on the net (AE0P6E00410).
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 9:28am
sounds like the PCB on the keyboard it self. I have that problem , changed the keyboard wham bam thank you mam.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 9:51am
Theres loads on the bay - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&a...1+keyboard&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Keyboard usually take a few minutes to swap and are held by 1 screw and a few retaining clips, so should be fairly straightforward.

Tis always worth taking the keyboard off and giving the data ribbon contacts a clean, though it does sound like a dead keyboard. Can you boot into a utility like command prompt in the windows repair utility ior alternatively a bootdisc with a cmd or DOS/Linux option, to verify its not a software related issue.

smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 10:05am
I'm not so sure with laptops, but with desktops, it is not the keyboard that capitilises the characters - all the keyboard does is send out key-up and key-down messages for each key.

Have you checked the input language settings (unlikely to be this but worth a nosey) ....

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Keyboard - Regional & Language - Languages - Details - Default input language.

Also after that try the keyboard driver ....

Start - settings - control panel - system - hardware - device manager - keyboards ...... select whatever keyboard there then .... driver - update driver.

On the above make sure you press the "apply" button to any changes.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 10:39am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I'm not so sure with laptops, but with desktops, it is not the keyboard that capitilises the characters - all the keyboard does is send out key-up and key-down messages for each key.

Have you checked the input language settings (unlikely to be this but worth a nosey) ....

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Keyboard - Regional & Language - Languages - Details - Default input language.

Also after that try the keyboard driver ....

Start - settings - control panel - system - hardware - device manager - keyboards ...... select whatever keyboard there then .... driver - update driver.

On the above make sure you press the "apply" button to any changes.

cheers dd for replying...

I tried all those settings when the issue first occurred but nothing seem to repair the problem. Odd thing was, for a moment, some keys did go upper case so it could be intermittent.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 10:44am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Theres loads on the bay - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&a...1+keyboard&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Keyboard usually take a few minutes to swap and are held by 1 screw and a few retaining clips, so should be fairly straightforward.

Tis always worth taking the keyboard off and giving the data ribbon contacts a clean, though it does sound like a dead keyboard. Can you boot into a utility like command prompt in the windows repair utility ior alternatively a bootdisc with a cmd or DOS/Linux option, to verify its not a software related issue.

smile

cheers mate for answering.

I saw those on ebay but thought they did not match the model number on this laptop and was put off with it saying "US". I take it then they are fine to swap it with the faulty one?

I took the back off the laptop last night and cleaned the back of the keyboard as well as check the ribbon. All seemed fine. I plugged in another (usb) keyboard into the laptop to see if thats ok - all was fine.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 11:35am
Sounds like the keyboard then.

There are some UK boards on that ebay link, but tbh, on a bespoke keyboard with the same number of keys, usually a US and a UK are a case of changing over a couple of keys so the icon corresponds correctly to the driver. If they are US-International keyboards, they will actually have all the characters used in the UK anyway.

My HTC Universal was a Movistar jobby, and as a result had a Spanish keyboard layout - all the characters were there, even the £, but they were not in exactly the same place as the UK variant (though on bespoke, non-standard, keyboards, it makes little difference).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 11:43am
Try washing it under a tap and shaking it under water - there is nothing dis-solvable on them.

Obviously give it a good shake and let it dry before using it again. You can speed drying up by warming it, but not much above body temperature because some glues are heat sensitive.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 1:06pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Sounds like the keyboard then.

There are some UK boards on that ebay link, but tbh, on a bespoke keyboard with the same number of keys, usually a US and a UK are a case of changing over a couple of keys so the icon corresponds correctly to the driver. If they are US-International keyboards, they will actually have all the characters used in the UK anyway.

My HTC Universal was a Movistar jobby, and as a result had a Spanish keyboard layout - all the characters were there, even the £, but they were not in exactly the same place as the UK variant (though on bespoke, non-standard, keyboards, it makes little difference).

Unfortunately there are slight differences. The left shift button is shorter on mine. This is the closest one to my own

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Keyboard-Comp...ies_LaptopDrives&hash=item3f08ea3170

Most seem to be this type which is not compatible

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-US-Keyboa...ts_KeyboardsMice&hash=item4156f95f45

Cheers for the info Matt. Much appreicated - guided me in the right direction.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 13th Apr 2011 1:07pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Try washing it under a tap and shaking it under water - there is nothing dis-solvable on them.

Obviously give it a good shake and let it dry before using it again. You can speed drying up by warming it, but not much above body temperature because some glues are heat sensitive.

I'll take it with me when I get a shower tonight!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 14th Apr 2011 2:26pm
isometimeshaveaproblemwithmyspacebaritssoannoying!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Problem with Shift Keys - 25th Apr 2011 8:12pm
Dunno if you've still got the problem, but remap your caps lock button to shift via the registry and see if that helps? Assuming you're using windows just ignore the instructions for *nix:

http://www.jonlee.ca/remap-capslock-the-most-useless-key/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral