Forums
Posted By: nicky HTC Desire - 3rd Apr 2011 9:43pm
Has anyone had any problems with their HTC Desire at all?
I tried to log out of the facebook app today and since then i've had no end of problems. It kept saying it had no memory, but i couldn't access my messages or gallery to delete anything, and i have hardly any apps left to remove! Then the screen went to the white HTC screen that you get when you turn the phone on and kept coming up with messages saying apps had been force closed.
Now the screen seems to be working fine and memory problem has disappeared but when i type all it comes up with is Q!! Its driving me mad, can anyone help?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HTC Desire - 3rd Apr 2011 9:54pm
Bah, Android lol, turn it off, drop the battery out of it for a few minutes, then restart.

It sounds like your running out of RAM as opposed to storage, which is strange as Android is pretty light out of the box (im running Froyo on my TP2 and it uses 1/3 of the RAM as I use when im running Windows Mobile 6.5).

smile
Posted By: nicky Re: HTC Desire - 3rd Apr 2011 9:57pm
I have no idea what you are talking about haha. I went on to the applications and cleared the data for the facebook app and now i have 35mb phone storage, when earlier on i had barely anything!
Ive turned it off and on again, and now the typing has gone back to normal.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: HTC Desire - 4th Apr 2011 7:51am
so is it ok now?

My girlfriend has a HTC Desire... O2 replaced hers end of last year because it kept turning itself off...
Posted By: nicky Re: HTC Desire - 4th Apr 2011 11:12am
Yeah it seems to be fine now, thankfully. Its becoming a pain because the memory is always low so i cant install new apps. It is a good phone but i cant wait to upgrade it and get a better model.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HTC Desire - 4th Apr 2011 11:44am
Strange, the Desire has double the RAM and the same amount of onboard memory as my TP2... but I have no RAM problems, and WinMo is far heavier than Android (Android runs just fine on it too).

Do you have an SD card? I have an 8GB in mine, and install most apps to the SD-card, thus leaving the phones internal memory free and ensuring problem-free running.

If it is forcing the closure of programmes, that is strange to be related to storage memory, though not unheard of (you could be having issues when an app is trying to use SWAP (linux version of the pagefile) or the /tmp folder whilst carrying out tasks), and is more likely to be related to RAM usage (though having said that, Android runs on Linux, and Linux is extremely efficient at handling memory designation).

If you dont have an SD card installed, it could be worth trying it, and moving some of your larger apps across to the memory card (this will involve unistalling the apps and re-installing them).

Stupid really how modern-day smartphones dont have 2GB onboard storage memory as a bare minimum, given the realative cost of modules being pennies.
Posted By: nicky Re: HTC Desire - 4th Apr 2011 10:01pm
I do have a 4GB SD card but when ive tried to move apps to it, it won't let me. I think its because they are on the home screen.
I deleted most of my apps yesterday to try and clear the memory, so i will install them again and see if it will let me move them this time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral