Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 12:27am
Hope someone on here can help, I have a Toshiba A100 laptop, when I press the power button the battery light flashes and that's it. I thought it might be a duff adapter and the battery was flat so I bought a new adapter and still the problem persists. Any thoughts oh great Wiki brains!!!!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 12:35am
Has the screen gone on you matey? Deffo sounds like a hardware faliure.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 12:40am
It probably is hardware related but there is nothing at all but the flashing battery light! I would expect a boot up but no display if it was the screen.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 1:25am
Two things to try quickly.

1. Remove the battery and see if it fires up without, if so the fuse has blown within the battery

2. (Which I think it is) Remove the hard drive and try and boot the machine again (it wont because of the hard drive missing) if it starts or you get a POST screen then the hard drive has failed and needs replacing.

3. Give me a shout if you're still stuck.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 1:29am
I will try both those things in reverse order first chance I get! I knew I could rely on you Doc! Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 1:29am
No offence Nigel!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 10:27am
Non taken mate, I know the Dr is good at his stuff.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 12:39pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
Non taken mate, I know the Dr is good at his stuff.

Thanks blush

No pressure to have got it right then... crazy
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 3:09pm
Croc

Its either a duff battery or the contacts between battery & the board or if your battery is retaining what life it has but won't take a charge the contacts on the power socket could be loose on the board.

I've had a smiliar fault fixed on my works Vaio twice, and used to get a few laptops with similar probs back in the day when i worked in the comp shop. Always turned out to be a duff battery or dodgy contacts / soldering
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 17th Feb 2011 3:28pm
Try takin the bat out and then put it bk in and plug the power cord in and it might work!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 18th Feb 2011 10:29pm
Hiya guys, it's me again!
I tried unplugging and replugging, with and without battery. I tried without HDD. I took the back off to see if there was any obvious loose connections (there wasn't) and all I get when I press the on switch is a green flashing battery light.
When it's plugged in, with a new adapter don't forget, the 'plugged in' light doesn't illuminate so I'm thinking there is a loose connection in the mainboard socket somewhere along the line or a faulty socket itself. Any thoughts Wiki??
P.S. thanks for all the suggestions up to now chaps!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 18th Feb 2011 10:46pm
HERE is the maintenance manual - no mention of flashing green light frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 18th Feb 2011 11:40pm
Appreciated as always DD but it's not the right laptop. Very similar but different. I have the Toshiba Satelite Pro A100.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 19th Feb 2011 12:02am
Manufacturers and their naming - does my head in lol.

Try THIS one then smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 19th Feb 2011 12:22am
You are, as always, a legend. That is the correct one. Going to have a look now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 19th Feb 2011 12:27am
The picture of the laptop on the first few pages was the right one but when I got to the 'taking it to bits' part near the end, it was identical to your earlier one. Dang it!
Doc, help!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 19th Feb 2011 12:32am
It sounds like your power board gone, some power supplies (eg DELL - grrrr) have a data wire that can cause sillies.

Yep see the doc!
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 20th Feb 2011 10:11am
Sounds like your having grief with this Croc,

Sound like you need the dodgy power socket looking at, you won't be able to get to it unless you remove,battery,HDD and actual bottom of the case to expose the main board. I'd hazard a guess and say the fault is between the soldering on the pins on the socket itself and the circuit board, can be repaied yourself but needs a bit of care you don't want to heat any nearby components up with the soldering iron or could make it worse I'd take it to a local bench engineer it's about an hours job and will probs cost £45 ish for lab shouldn't need any parts

Good luck lid
Posted By: TheDr Re: Help, Laptop won't turn on! - 22nd Feb 2011 4:35am
Honestly, I leave you alone for one weekend and look what happens....

If you've stripped it down just bring the board in we'll redo the socket for you and test the path, if it's together then still bring it in but you'll have to cover the time it takes to do it :-) WikiRates apply

Just so you know the socket is (usually) on the opposite side to the bottom panel so to get to it properly you have to strip the laptop completely, there isn't just an access panel. maybe a design feature for the future, panel to access a power socket which is connected to the board on a fly lead, time to fit new one, about 2 mins, socket is held against case and board isn't under stress from in and out as the socket has no rigid fix to it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral