Forums
Posted By: Maisie Laptop help - 3rd Feb 2011 8:08pm
Hi everyone, I've got a bit of a problem here. Last Sunday my laptop died, could retrieve anything at all. So a friend of mine wiped it completely and installed XP on it for me. so basially it's a blank canvas. As it had vista on it originally, I'm guessing none of the drivers will be on there.
I know I need to download the drivers for the wireless connection, because in the control panel there is nothing to click on to set up my wireless connection....
Question is do I need to download all the drivers from samsung relating to my laptop and it's now new operating system?
I really haven't a clue and I don't want to "screw" the laptop up.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Thanks
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop help - 3rd Feb 2011 8:32pm
First question, what prompted your friend to "wipe" it, and not back up the data? Im assuming the installation of Windows died, and not the actual laptop, otherwise how would it be working now lol.

And secondly, why did your friend install XP if it had Vista on it originally? A reinstall of Vista would have had the same effect, and negated this trouble with drivers you are having now - is the install of XP even legal??

The answer to the question about downloading the drivers from Samsung is basically yes, assuming the drivers are available for Windows XP/Vista drivers "may" in some cases work with XP.

As for getting internet connectivity to download the drivers, try plugging an ethernet cable into the laptop to the router, there is a chance it may have the drivers for the NIC within Windows XP if its a generic/old chipset.

If you want me to take a look at it, drop me a PM and we will arrange it.

smile
Posted By: Maisie Re: Laptop help - 3rd Feb 2011 8:55pm
Thanks Matt, have PM'd you!!! smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral