Forums
Posted By: Waddi windows 7 black screen of death - 24th Nov 2010 9:07pm
as of this afternoon, whenever I try to load up the laptop it just stops on a black screen with a mouse cursor, I believe it is caused by a currupt registry which is stopping explorer from starting.

can anyone help please?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 24th Nov 2010 9:13pm
mine on vista sometimes does this but if i leave it doing it for 5/10 minutes it loads up!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 24th Nov 2010 9:15pm
Hmmm, had this on an old laptop with 7, don't think it will let u go into safe mode but if it does use a registry program, sure I had to repair the boot sector though, canny remember?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 24th Nov 2010 9:16pm
For a quickfix, use the 7 repair CD. There is Microsoft tech bulletins on NT6 black screens, though ive never come across it myself, so never taken much notice.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 30th Nov 2010 12:52pm
still broke frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 30th Nov 2010 1:24pm
waddi, back your stuff up mate and re-install windows smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 30th Nov 2010 2:11pm
Originally Posted by Waddi
still broke frown

Bring it round sometime, or ill come and visit ye, we shall sort it out mate!!

smile
Posted By: camaroz Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 30th Nov 2010 2:20pm
Assuming you have a backup of your data, and the laptop came preinstalled with W7, usually there is a hidden or recovery partition on your laptop. For instance, on Asus laptops as soon as you power up tap F9 until you get to the Windows Boot Manager. Here (depending on vendor) you will get the options for

(a) Windows set up (back to factory) or
(b) Repair (which will attempt to get windows working again without loss of data).

If you haven't backed up, you wont be able to just USB the HD into another PC and pull data because the drive will probably read as RAW. You will need to remove the HD and use some recovery software to get you're data back.

I see this all the time when staff drop or knock their laptops.

Hope this helps.....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 30th Nov 2010 2:24pm
You can also download and burn a recovery CD from the Microsoft website, which will do the same thing if you cannot enter the repair mode via your recovery parition etc.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 7th Dec 2010 10:31pm
thanks Matty for the offer but I think I'll do what Toto is suggesting, Ive got a sata - usb caddy so Im just going recover my photos, music and vids etc, then alt + f10 on startup gives an acer recovery option. one option is to save personal files within "Documents" and restore system back to factory settings, but when I choice that it says i dont have enough space to copy all files, so im going to have to backup myself and then restore to factory settings.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 8th Dec 2010 8:19am
do try repairing windows first, to see if it works at least; if so, it could get you out of the situation should it occur in the future smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 12th Dec 2010 11:14am
all fixed, thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.
Posted By: fizzbomb120 Re: windows 7 black screen of death - 13th Dec 2010 1:30am
Have a look at this links, there might be some advice in here.
http://download.cnet.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper-2011/3000-8022_4-10192729.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/257-w...rial-index.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral