Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 7:55pm
id like to turn one of my pc's to be wireless so i can put it in another room, it currently has an ethernet wire connection.

would a USB dongle be good enough to game online with ? or should i get a wireless board put in ?

anyone recommend what type/make to buy pls ?

is it an easy job to do ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 8:05pm
Wireless card always if you can, USB often have problems, especially if your computers working hard and you use WPA or WPA2 security (for heavens sake don't use WEK).

Any card will usually behave itself but you may get better performance if its the same make as the router.

What standard/speed is your router, if its a giz-it its probably not wireless-N which would give the best performance.
Posted By: Wheels Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 8:06pm
yer a belkin dongle would work fine.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 8:21pm
my router is a sky one the newest black one , sorry cant be more specific its not in sight
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 8:22pm
basically my kid plays warcraft and i want it to be able to deal with that game online
Posted By: Wheels Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 8:31pm
ive used both dongle and pci

the dogle worked best for some reason and is easyier to set up for a novice.
Posted By: Nigel Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 9:15pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
ive used both dongle and pci

the dogle worked best for some reason and is easyier to set up for a novice.

You will not loose speed or performance if you hard wire your PC to the router via the Ethernet connection. This is the most reliable method. I use a PC in one room and it is quite close to the router so I have hardwired it and I get faster download speeds. With wireles connections you can loose a certain percentage of your conection speed "over the air" and can be prone to interference etc.
Posted By: Wheels Re: advice needed on pc pls - 21st Oct 2010 9:34pm
My xbox is wireless and it works fine
Posted By: Waddi Re: advice needed on pc pls - 24th Oct 2010 11:38pm
Have you considered running your network through your existing home electricity circuit. thats right your normal electricity circuit can carry a network signal from one socket (ie, the one the computer is plugged into) to another socket (i.e the one the router is plugged into) providing they are on the same circuit.

All you need is a pair of powerline adapters. I personally have the comtrend 902, I prefer this type as it has a electricity socket on it so you dont actually loose a wall socket by using them.

Heres some ebay links;
Comtrend 902
Homeplug
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: advice needed on pc pls - 25th Oct 2010 3:41am
Wow cheers Waddi, didn't know about this, do you keep all speed using this method?
Posted By: Waddi Re: advice needed on pc pls - 27th Oct 2010 1:15pm
The Comtrends that I have have a data transfer rate of 200Mbps.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: advice needed on pc pls - 27th Oct 2010 1:52pm
That's good to know, thanks happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral