Forums
Posted By: The_Doorman Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:24am
Every time I log in to my computer has a message that pops up in the bottom right of my screen that says something about a system event log and failed to log in (or something like that).

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
Also the bar you have at the bottom has gone grey and looks simuler to how it does when your in a safe mode.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:30am
Has it failed to complete a microsoft update?
Posted By: The_Doorman Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:34am
No mate not that i am aware of.
My computer was running slow so i restarted and this happened.
Posted By: The_Doorman Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:38am
The exact text is:

"Failed to connect to a windows service.
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."
Posted By: TheDr Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:57am
Okay, couple of things this could be, and working blind here but this is the most common fix for that fault:

Type Services.msc in Start, Run dialog.
Locate and double-click the Remote Registry service from the list Click the Log On tab
In the account text box, type in NT AUTHORITY\LocalService
Set both the Password fields blank
Click Apply, OK
Restart Windows and set the Remote Registry service to Automatic or Manual, and then start the service.

First of all try setting the account to “Network
Service”, then start the service, if this fails then set it back to “LocalService”.

Basically it needs to be turned off (settings change) and then turned back on.
Posted By: The_Doorman Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 2:17am
TheDr you are a scholar and a gentleman, thank you so much.

I did the top part and it worked, do i need to do the rest?
Also what causes it to go funny like that?

Posted By: TheDr Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 2:27am
If it worked...leave it alone smile

You're welcome, it's just a registery error, sometimes caused by a faulty update or bad shutdown, without going into your error log I'd be guessing.

Glad you're back up and running anyway.
Posted By: The_Doorman Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 2:33am
Thats brill, so glad you was on.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 10:22am
oshocked
Amazing!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 11:26am
Well done DR !!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 12:30pm
Ahhh the joys of a Google search - twas given away by the "from the list Click the Log On tab" grammar mistake, should have been on seperate lines.

http://forums.gfi.com/m_10205800/printable.htm

It's always polite and good forum etiquette to citate your source when copying someone elses work/text.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 12:37pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Ahhh the joys of a Google search - twas given away by the "from the list Click the Log On tab" grammar mistake, should have been on seperate lines.

http://forums.gfi.com/m_10205800/printable.htm

It's always polite and good forum etiquette to citate your source when copying someone elses work/text.

smile

omg
The dr is a fraud! oshocked
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 12:44pm
Would'nt say that lol. Just nice to give credit where credits due instead of taking it yourself.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:02pm
We all glean all our knowledge from somewhere, looks like life should be a big string of credits raftl
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 1:05pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
We all glean all our knowledge from somewhere, looks like life should be a big string of credits raftl

Ah but we learn yes but alas, copying word for word is naughty. laugh
Posted By: Nigel Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 5:50pm
Come on lads, I dont want this turning into a slanging match or i'le lock the topic.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Computer problems, help please - 24th Sep 2010 6:06pm
No problem at all.

This was a reply from a forum I used MANY moons ago, if you do a basic search (not entirely sure why Matt did, the problem was solved he just seemed to want to show that he knows how to use Google tease ) then you'll see that it is on there with my name on it (or TheDr-UK, I forget which), it's been copied and pasted from there to a half dozen places, from my original (which in itself was probably a mish-mash from others).

I see that the endings have changed over the years, but that's what happens, no credit needed, nor required from others, because I don't need the fame smile

Oh yes, and at 3am if someone takes the time to help me get something working that I need I couldn't care less if they Googled it, Binged it or copied it word for word from a Library book, I'd just be grateful they did. sleep
Posted By: jimbob re-computer problems - 25th Sep 2010 9:27am
would like to put my tupence worth to the above. i have used the bussness where Dr works many times this last 2 years for various things and both he and the rest of the staff there are Very helpfull and most importanly dont rip you off.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral