Forums
Posted By: bert1 Annoying problem - 28th Aug 2010 11:14am
Input most welcome.

My computer seems to be fine when I'm not on Internet,
The problem I'm having, for example,when i google a subject and want to open that page, i can get at times redirected to other pages i do not want or seek, Example, googled New Brighton, end up visiting Ebay, ask jeeves, online shopping, K directory. When i sometimes scroll, it can take me away from the page I'm scrolling on to other pages and sites i have not requested or even visited previously. Happens when i view active topics on here without logging in, takes me elsewhere. Thank you.
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Annoying problem - 28th Aug 2010 11:25am
Hi bert you have spy ware mate, you must download super anti spyware and MUST run it on safe mode on windows or it will keep coming back.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 28th Aug 2010 11:35am
Thanks john, how come Mcafee didn't stop it i wonder.
Posted By: Blondie Re: Annoying problem - 28th Aug 2010 5:34pm
I too have this problem. If i google something using the google search bar on my browser, I get the usual list and links etc, but when I click on the links it redirects me to something completely different, just like yours Bert1. K Directory, ask jeeves and so on. However, if I open up internet explorer and type in google.co.uk then get the links, they direct me to the correct sites. Strange. I have norton or whatever it is called .... confused

Heather
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 28th Aug 2010 5:41pm
Rainbow, i done a full scan with my mcafee before i tried anything else John had suggested, couldn't understand how it got past mcafee in the first place, anyway it quarantined something called js redirect, been alright since, fingers crossed.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Annoying problem - 28th Aug 2010 5:53pm
You don't have to run spyware in safe mode.

Use this program...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

and this antivirus....

http://www.free-av.com/

Full scans can depend how many files are on the Laptop/PC.
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 9:34am
Removing spyware in safe mode IS the best way to remove spyware as the comp only loads certain programs to run. Also once in safe mode you dont have internet access so the virus cant hide. Safe mode > SCAN > KILL = smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 10:01am
A friend of mine had the same problem last year. I ran malwarebytes and it sorted out the issue.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 11:41am
Well playmates, thanks for everyone's input, the bugger came back this morning, I'm starting to wonder what Mcafee are up to and have i wasted my time giving them £42 a few weeks ago.
I have just downloaded Malwarebytes and it detected 84 infected objects and hopefully sorted it. (free).

Thanks Phil, John i have no idea how to get my computer to run in safe mode, for future reference, hows that done?.
Now i have Mcafee and Malwarebytes, will there be any conflict having both. Once again thank you all.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 11:53am
There won't be any conflicts. Both do different things. What you had was some called Malware - something I regard as different to spyware. Malware "hijacks" your machine by directing you to somewhere else so Mcafee would never really of picked it up.

As a side note I did have Mcafee until last week but removed it after 6 months of use (on a 1 year subscription). I found at times it would either cause my machine to boot up slowly (10 mins) or freeze my machine EVERY time the software upgraded or updated. I read on other forums that so many people were having the same issue. Since I've removed it and reverted back to nod32 my machine is running nicely.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 11:54am
...and for Safe Mode - a link

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 12:00pm
Thanks Paul, I've had Mcafee for a few years now and the only problem is when its doing a scan it slows things down, but thats all. I'll stick with it for now, see how things go.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 4:09pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Thanks Paul, I've had Mcafee for a few years now and the only problem is when its doing a scan it slows things down, but thats all. I'll stick with it for now, see how things go.

It's more likely down to the type of Mcafee version I have. (McAfee Internet Security 2010).

Let us know how you get on dealing with the browser problem...
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 8:19pm
Not convinced its gone completely, though better than it was, i run another scan with Malwarebytes and result was objects infected 0 (zero), Still happening with some sites, is it possible that some of the web pages i'm going to are infected and not something my end.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 8:40pm
Might have left the odd footprints about. Delete your cookies by clicking on Tools in the menu bar (if you are using IE8) and click on 'Delete Browsing History...'

You can also click on 'Safety' in the command bar and also delete your cookies there.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 8:52pm
Ok Paul, something i do with regularity, but not done it today, done it now so I'll see how it goes, Thanks.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 8:55pm
it might actually be in the router itself. i've had the same thing occur to me 2 years ago and i found a combination of using malaware bytes and resetting the router usually fix's it. to reset your router there should be a small hole at the back of it where you can fit in the rounded end of a sewing pin. inside the hole is the reset button. hold it in for 5-15 seconds, reconfigure your router and enter safe mode to see if it's done the job.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 1st Sep 2010 9:09pm
Thanks Shadow, I'll hold on that for now, just done some browsing, about 40 pages and its behaving itself, fingers crossed.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 4th Sep 2010 3:54pm
BUGGER
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 5th Sep 2010 5:29am
Had a pig of a day yesterday with this computer, the problem came back with a vengeance-plus. Done another scan with Malwarebytes, items detected 0, so i downloaded Super anti virus that John recommended, that found 588 threats, so got rid of them, still no improvement, couldn't scan in safe mode, just couldn't get the computer to boot up in safe mode, following the link given by Paul, it just doesn't open as the link suggests. I then have 2 anti virus stored plus Mcafee and the computer stated doing strange things, freezing up, not allowing me to move anywhere, had to turn off and turn on to get any movement, unable to use the right click on the mouse, just caused it to freeze, unable to pick up any links, when i did eventually get on to wiki.
I un-installed the 2 anti virus downloads and it improved slowly over a few hours, put Malwarebytes back on and run another scan, still no items detected and yet still got the problem.
Going to Shadows suggestion of configuring the modem, its a sky modem, how or where do i find out what configuration it should be.

Thank you
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Annoying problem - 5th Sep 2010 11:02am
why not backup stuff (pics, docs etc)youwant and format your hard drive. Be like a newish computer again
Either backup to dvds or an external hard drive.
Presuming you still have your drivers and software discs.
I know you may have to go cold turkey for a while on not being able to get on Wiki but may be worth it
try the Dr (who is a wiki member) and see what he says
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 5th Sep 2010 1:24pm
The computer seems to running normal now, in fact a bit faster and smoother, after yesterdays fun and games i don't know why.
Still got the redirect issue on line though.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Annoying problem - 23rd Sep 2010 3:03pm
Touch wood , fingers crossed, it looks like I've finally got rid of the redirect problem, plus my comp is flying like Sh1t off a chrome shovel, In case anyone else gets it or has got it, if it helps i have tried Mcafee quick scan and full scan, Malwarebytes, quick and full and super anti virus, all in normal and safe mode, all those seemed to get shut for a very short while. Downloaded Ad-Aware and ran quick scan in normal mode, got rid of a lot but never cured the problem. Next run Ad-Aware full scan in safe mode and at the same time run Mcafee quick scan. That seemed to do it, though i think it was Ad-aware that done it. What i didn't count on that it would take over 4 hours to do.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Annoying problem - 23rd Sep 2010 9:07pm
Hi All, a program I have used in the past in conjunction with my internet security is Adaware internet security.

http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Internet-Security/3000-8022_4-10045910.html
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Annoying problem - 23rd Sep 2010 9:20pm
I've got Microsoft Security Essentials on my home and all 16 work computers and never had a virus. Can't recomend it highly enough.
Posted By: fizzbomb120 Re: Annoying problem - 4th Dec 2010 2:51am
The malwarebytes has a new verson now i.50 I think it is. As paul said clean your browser history and if you have xp run ATF cleaner http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25 too Before you scan with the new up-date. it's faster than the last one. ad-aware and avg are a bit off everyones list at the moment for one reason or another.
I have the virgin all in one pc guard it's free so i run it. But I also have recomended spywareblaster, it doesn't move anything thats already on your pc, but stops anything else getting on. runs quiet in the back no hassle. a nice little thing to have is sacunia psi. this tells you when things need updated or have been patcheed. but you have to run a scan every now and then on the free one.
Something else you might like to look at on wiki is a search engine, daft name lol called DuckDuckGo. it's a clean page just the search point tends to miss all the junk out no adds or keeping your hits stored. Have a read. tc watch the ice :-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral