Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ XP & 7 DUAL BOOT - 3rd Aug 2010 7:20pm
Does anyone have this on an expensive laptop that already has partitions for its drivers and factory settings?

Already has windows 7 64 installed but i want to play some games that will only run on XP without buying another laptop or losing my factory settings.

frown
Posted By: little_pob Re: XP & 7 DUAL BOOT - 4th Aug 2010 12:27pm
Have you tried XP Mode or Virtual PC: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

If you really want to have a seperate XP partition, Acronis Disk Director 11 (free trial version on the Acronis website) should be able to resize the existing Win7 install to free up some disk space. Provided you can get the XP drivers, especially the SATA driver, you would then just need to follow any of the guides (google "dual boot win7 xp") for installing dual booting Win7 and XP when Win7 is installed first.
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: XP & 7 DUAL BOOT - 4th Aug 2010 3:51pm
Can you not run tyour progs in compatibility mode, ie install as normal on win 7 operating system then find the executeable file of the program (not the shortcut) right click properties select compatibility mode
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: XP & 7 DUAL BOOT - 4th Aug 2010 5:42pm
I`ve already tried the compatability mode and it doesn`t work i`m afraid frown
A few of the games (ie: GTRFIAGT & GT legends) use starforce copy protection, as soon as i`ve installed them the computer needs to reboot but it win 7 just restores to an earlier point and deletes the whole game frown (my games are originals)

I`ll give your idea a try later Pob, thanks for the help, just don`t want to jumble my hard drive up. (i don`t need to free space up as it has 320gig drive)
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: XP & 7 DUAL BOOT - 4th Aug 2010 6:07pm
A Bit naughty but you own the game anyway so what the hell, why dont you download a crack or a cracked version for the game(s) thus
disabling protection?

Cough Cough You didnt hear it from me, s**t its recorded oh well
Posted By: Capt_America Re: XP & 7 DUAL BOOT - 4th Aug 2010 8:56pm
I had vista and loaded xp seperately. I had the option of booting in vista or an earlier version of windows (ie XP).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral