Forums
Posted By: AX_125 Play TV - 3rd Jul 2010 7:29pm
Does anyone know if Play TV for the PS3 is any good and worth buying?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Play TV - 3rd Jul 2010 9:01pm
My son forever going on and on and on 'bout how great it is.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Play TV - 4th Jul 2010 12:26am
I'll put it simple it's basically turns your PS3 into a Digital View Recordable machine for your TV along the likes of Sky+ and Virgin+. it usually goes for about 50-60 quid. if you don't have Sky/Virgin or any other satellite and only have a standard Freeview box this can serve as an excellent replacement with big enough HDD size (depending on what Version you have or if you've upgraded the HDD yourself). the downside is that it will not pick up HD signals due to the hardware it uses and it doesnt do the best job at upscaling the resolution. (although there is rumor of a PlayTV2 in development)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Play TV - 4th Jul 2010 1:10am
Sounds like it could be less hassle to buy a dedicated Freeview+ recorder for £30 lol! These attempts at making addons etc, rarely are as good as the dedicated kit.

As for FreeviewHD... well it may be sometime before decodes, and especially recorders, come down far enough in price to be selling the kit for £60, maybe the end of the year? Bear in mind however, HD recordings will require some hefty space, considering 500GB on the Panasonic Blu-ray Freeview+HD (or Freesat) recorders only allows you around 70 hours of HD content without any other content (though bear in mind they also allow you to burn to 50GB BD-RE discs, so space is not so much of an issue then).
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Play TV - 4th Jul 2010 8:03am
It is 25 pound at moment.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Play TV - 4th Jul 2010 4:16pm
ps, where can you get a freeview recorder for £30?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Play TV - 17th Jul 2010 1:12am
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-DTR-Store - can get em from £34.99 on there at the moment, I have in the past seen them for even less than £30! Don't get them from topuptv.com as they often try and get you to sign up to a months subscription to at least one of the viewing packs as well, all of which they do give you for "free" for the first month, but they carry a lousy £20 "connection fee".

Yes, the eBay account is actually TopUp TV (the other ebay store under the name TopUp TV has ceased to operate presumably because it was selling only brand new boxes, whereas we only supply recon stock nowadays through our direct channels).

For the record, we are still developing the software on the boxes, on the G1 for instance (Thomson 6300), we have had three new builds since v5.08 was released publicly last December and just last weekend we started working on a new build with yet more bug-fixes (all minor as there has been no major bugs since v3.59 iirc) and new features, so we are still developing the box software even though they may be some years old now and will almost certainly continue to develop them into next year to ensure they remain as fast, functional and reliable as possible. Id expect another public build update to replace the Dec09 v5.08 build to be released via OAD probably around August - September time. No news on mux recording yet, but give it time, we are likely to lose some DTT capacity in the next 12 months so unless we gain some more from somewhere (unlikely) mux recording is the only way the TV Favourites and Picturebox packages will be able to continue to operate. Mux recording would in theory allow upto 14 channels to be recorded at once (though in practice the boxes can't cope with the I/O load, so expect between 4 and 6 channels recording in reality).

And we are launching Sky Sports in August, just in time for the new football season for anyone interested lol.

If you need any advice regarding the boxes, feel free to PM me smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Play TV - 17th Jul 2010 2:46am
google tvcatchup.com

Live tv for free.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral