Forums
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle laptop/wireless - 10th Jun 2010 7:26am
Hi do any wiki members have any ideas on what is causing my laptop to crash?? I have recently bought a wireless router and set it up correctly,and according to the instructions and the instillation wizard.It was working fine on a pin restricted secure network,until I turned it off and it had wiped everything from it when it was turned back on(windows included)
I have since re-installed windowsXP home edition (on a genuine disk that I bought and the router) and all is fine until I turn it off again and the same thing happens over and over again.Any ideas Wiki?? any help would be appreciated as I am stuck using my pc and it does my head in having to sit at a desk.
Thanks guys!
Chris
Posted By: Nigel Re: laptop/wireless - 10th Jun 2010 7:36am
Well for a start, most people leave a wirless router switched on all the time. What make and model is the router? Did the router come with an instalation disk? Have you scanned the laptop for a virus?
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: laptop/wireless - 10th Jun 2010 7:56am
the router is a belkin it did come with 2 installation disks mate,one for the pc and one for the laptop. I did scan the laptop via AVG and spyware doctor and both came back clean,but I don't leave it on overnight though?? cheers
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: laptop/wireless - 10th Jun 2010 7:57am
it doesn't say what model the belkin is until it's working...but it's FD something?
Posted By: little_pob Re: laptop/wireless - 10th Jun 2010 3:02pm
Belkin print their model numbers on the sticker on the base of the router.

If I'm reading your post correctly it was working fine until the Windows install corrupted (for a, currently, undetermined reason). But since you reinstalled, Windows forgets the settings on shut down? If so go to device manager: [winkey]+[R] > devmgmt.msc

Navigate and, if needed, expand the Network adapters and Universal Serial Bus controllers entries. Are there any yellow triangles with exclamation points in them?
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: laptop/wireless - 11th Jun 2010 3:42am
There has been yellow triangles in the past little pob and thanks for the tip on the sticker.The model number is belkin F5D8233-4v3 Thanks Little Pob and NIGEL I have it working at the moment (using it now) just hope I don't need to re-install all over again when I turn it off but I'm not going to turn the router off and see how it goes.
Posted By: Nigel Re: laptop/wireless - 11th Jun 2010 8:15am
Good luck Chris, keep us posted.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: laptop/wireless - 11th Jun 2010 4:48pm
Thanks lads I think you have cracked it for me.I never turned the router off and all has been ok today fingers crossed it will stay that way! thanks again thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral