Forums
Posted By: jedimindtricks Weird interference over laptop speakers - 9th Jun 2010 1:44pm
my sister has a dell inspiration, and the other day she had weird interference over the speakers and it is happening again now. It was a women's voice stating various numbers over what seems to be a tannoy system. You can also hear some people talking it back ground. This happens every 2/5 mins, and also anywhere in the house. I have no idea where this is coming from. I have closed down every possible application I have and it still happens. The only thing I know is when I turn off the wireless on her laptop it doesn't happen. So must be something to do with that. I just have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it. any advice would be great. One more thing to note is that I live in greasby so no built up areas around me. I could be getting interference from. Also we have 3 other laptops in the house and this doesnt happened on any other just my sisters.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Weird interference over laptop speakers - 9th Jun 2010 2:32pm
hi have heard of this before and it was a virus will let you know when i can remember where i heard of it
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Weird interference over laptop speakers - 9th Jun 2010 5:26pm
does your sister often hear voices lol,

look at this hope it helps you out.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/53579-32-picking-radio-station-signal-speakers
Posted By: MikeT Re: Weird interference over laptop speakers - 10th Jun 2010 5:59am
Originally Posted by jedimindtricks
my sister has a dell inspiration, and the other day she had weird interference over the speakers and it is happening again now. It was a women's voice stating various numbers over what seems to be a tannoy system.

Your sister's laptop is picking up a radio broadcast called a "Numbers Station". Search for it on wikipedia.

A wireless antenna, by its very nature, is going to pick up unwanted signals as well as the desired wireless signal. Poor quality wireless receivers will have poor rejection of unwanted signals.

Live with it, or disable the onboard wireless receiver and use an external plug-in USB wireless dongle.
Posted By: jedimindtricks Re: Weird interference over laptop speakers - 10th Jun 2010 11:05am
Thanks for the advice, I have turned off the wireless multicast device. I dont know if its just coincidence but it seems to have stopped now.
Posted By: jedimindtricks Re: Weird interference over laptop speakers - 10th Jun 2010 11:36am
I have looked at the number stations and this seems to be it, dam interesting too. I have listened to a recording of a numbers station online and it sounds pretty much the same. here it is if anyone is interested.

http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20c..._15_english_lady_00000_ending_irdial.mp3
© Wirral-Wikiwirral