Forums
Posted By: Blondie Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:30pm
Im trying to set up microsoft outlook or windows mail (whatever its called)for the first time, and i dont know how to find my incoming/outgoing servers?? Im sure this is really basic to most people, but computers are not my strong point. I've opened a windows live ID as suggested but cannot get any further. Something about pop3, imap and smtp. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance ...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:35pm
Who provides your broadband?
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:39pm
We have sky broadband
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:42pm
Does your email end with @sky.com
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:45pm
I think I may of had one with sky when we first joined, but it has never been used. Using hotmail and yahoo mail, and just made a "live" one too.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:47pm
I'll have to let someone else pick this up then, I've never set them up with outlook.

Anybody else help ????
Posted By: scoops Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:52pm
Maybe this page will help
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 4:53pm
okay, thanks very much anyway laugh
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 5:06pm
this is prob dead stupid, but do i need to be on microsoft office outlook 2007, or email - windows mail? if its office, it just keeps saying im not connected, and then there is no option for me to connect. PS i have saved that link, if i can get past this bit im sure i'll be fine.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 6:03pm
Different set up for which email address you wish to use:

I.E. if you set up yahoo the pop3 is: pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
ntl is: POP3.ntlworld.com

I dont have the smtp (which is the outgoing server) for yahoo however the NTL one is: SMTP.ntlworld.com.

I have both emails Yahoo and Ntl coming in to outlook but every email I send is through Ntl this way.

Will see if I can find a basic set up page somewhere online. Are you a novice on pc's or have reasonable knowledge ?
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 6:16pm
Yahoo set up Yahoo Outlook

Sky Sky Outlook

Live Live Outlook

Hotmail Hotmail Outlook

These are the best step by step I can find, good luck.
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 7:13pm
if i could get that far it would be great,but i keep getting this screen .it keeps bringing up a message ,the connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable.outlook must be connected or online to complete this action. and will not let me go any further cannot get the page up to create account. i am not a whizz kid but know enough
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 8:23pm
Is this an ex-corporate computer? for simple mail you shouldn't need (or have) a Microsoft Exchange Server.

If it is ex-corporate and not been reconfigured, you may not have access rights to set up a connection.
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 8:37pm
no i bought it from currys its a private family laptop i bought microsoft office 2007 from the shop
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 30th May 2010 9:54pm
Sorry I am stumped, wish I could offer more help.
Posted By: Blondie Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 31st May 2010 9:23am
thanks for all your help
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 31st May 2010 1:04pm
Maybe you could try using 'Email Accounts" and REMOVE any existing accounts you find there - then start over, from scratch, using "Add New Accouont" using the setup instructions as in the links already posted by others, for hotmail or yahoo or whatever (this should include what you need to specify for inbound and outbound mail servers). When you create (add) the new account, make sure that "Microsoft Exchange Server" is NOT selected for 'Server' - Hotmail / Yahoo I think need 'POP3' selected; (Gmail can use POP3 or IMAP).
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 2nd Jun 2010 3:38pm
I know hotmail (livemail) does not offer syncing with outlook or outlook express you have to pay microsoft for this privelidge
Posted By: Nigel Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 8th Jun 2010 9:57pm
Originally Posted by PhilyMc
I know hotmail (livemail) does not offer syncing with outlook or outlook express you have to pay microsoft for this privelidge

Is there now an add-in availible called Outlook connector? I think that works with hotmail.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 15th Jul 2010 9:28am
If you buy Office, even if it's via HUP, MS waive the subscription fee. You only pay it if you want to use Hotmail with Outlook Express, Window Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird etc... (though there are ways around this I beleive.)

Originally Posted by Nigel

Is there now an add-in availible called Outlook connector? I think that works with hotmail.
Indeed. It's available from here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...mail-account-in-outlook-HA010221823.aspx
Posted By: chiccy Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 15th Jul 2010 6:31pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Does your email end with @sky.com
do u know much about settin up sky thru outlook i cant sort mine x
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 15th Jul 2010 6:59pm
Try here:
Clicky
Posted By: bushnut Re: Help with microsoft outlook ... - 7th Sep 2010 12:36pm
If you're using a Windows Live Mail email address (i.e. @live.co.uk, @.live.com, @hotmail.co.uk, @hotmail.com) address then you're best to install Windows Live Mail Desktop onto your PC. Simple to setup - enter your email address and password - and the rest is automatic. get the application here:

http://windowslive.com/desktop/mail

Hope this helps.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral