Forums
My fiancee took my memory stick into her work today (nhs hospital) and she was going to print a file she has on there off but the computers the nhs use is saying it is encrypted.

Is there anything i can put on the memory stick so it will work on a nhs computer?
Posted By: bert1 Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 8:17pm
I have no idea, but i hope not, because a lot of things on NHS computers are confidential and she must be in danger of losing her job for trying.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 8:23pm
shes obviously encrypted the file herself!
No what it is, is we have run out of ink at home so she was going to print a couple of my CVs of for me so i can put them around the hospital but it wont read our memory stick.

Nothing ilegal
Posted By: scoops Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 8:56pm
Email the CV?
Hi Victor - all the pc's at arrowe etc have encryption software installed. So if you come along with a non-NHS stick not supplied by our IT bods, it won't work. There has been an increase in security because we were sick of getting infected sticks plugged in all over the place. Plus if someone is daft enough to put patient data on one of these encrypted sticks its useless without the password.
If it's WUTH there is software on the PCs to prevent people using their own USB sticks. You have to get an approved one from WHIS. This is partly down to the virus we had last summer (however, I'm sure this was traced back to a laptop), and partly down to the high profile data losses from other trusts and government departments (the WHIS provided sticks have encryption software on).

Floppy drives on some machines are still good. You could email it to her. Or if you have a gmail account you could use Google documents.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 9:19pm
use alibrary or something
Why should you be able to use a NHS pc and printer for personal use anyway ???
Posted By: jimbob Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 9:36pm
by some ink and stop trying to spend the money i have given all my workling life so as to fund the NHS
Posted By: bobi1 Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 10:02pm
It's the same for all NHS comps-no memory sticks allowed unless issued by help desk.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 10:56pm
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
Originally Posted by jimbob
by some ink and stop trying to spend the money i have given all my workling life so as to fund the NHS
YUP. Me agree, am afraid.

all he wanted to do was print a couple of sheets of paper not like he is wasting hundreds of pounds maybe this guy has worked all his life paying his taxes too just like you but unfortunaly like many are finding it difficult to find work at the moment.
Think you have been shot down in flames Victor.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 11:09pm
Originally Posted by Deadmau5

all he wanted to do was print a couple of sheets of paper not like he is wasting hundreds of pounds maybe this guy has worked all his life paying his taxes too just like you but unfortunaly like many are finding it difficult to find work at the moment.
but if EVERYBODY just wanted to print a couple of pages of, at the cost of the NHS....
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 11:12pm
Originally Posted by AX_125
use alibrary or something
ten pence per b+ w a4 print out!
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by Deadmau5

but if EVERYBODY just wanted to print a couple of pages of, at the cost of the NHS....

i see where your coming from but its not everyone is it. its one person and he didnt even do it. i just think it was abit unfair for a couple of people to shoot him down for it.

Mind your own business will you.
Originally Posted by Victor_Meldrew

Mind your own business will you.

Afraid money that costs the NHS is everyone's business.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 15th Mar 2010 11:57pm
withthat
I think some people are jumping the gun a bit, it was not stated whether it was work related or not.

Plus - he that casts the first stone etc, either that or there are some unbelievably angelic little innocents around here wink

WikiAngels

And before anyone points out that NHS work should be at home - it could be as simple as a personal CV or a work related complaint.

Hope all your halos are polished ready for tomorrow.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 16th Mar 2010 2:00am
stop the bickering you pathetic idiots, ffs its a bit of ink and paper! fill ya boots son! you go ahead and take something back from the pathetic car park prices they charge laugh

clap
Originally Posted by _Ste_
... the pathetic car park prices they charge laugh
[off topic]
With the government looking at car park charging on NHS properties, these are apparently under currently under a preemptive review.

(Before any one asks, I've stated nothing that couldn't be found under an FOI request.)
[/off topic]
I will shortly be going to work within the WHIS department in arrowe as a volunteer.

Anybody tell me more about this department.

I have a very keen interest in computers and IT support.
Posted By: Nigel Re: How Can I Us A Memory Stick On A NHS Computer - 21st May 2010 9:30pm
Originally Posted by Victor_Meldrew
My fiancee took my memory stick into her work today (nhs hospital) and she was going to print a file she has on there off but the computers the nhs use is saying it is encrypted.

Is there anything i can put on the memory stick so it will work on a nhs computer?

The Administrator has barred the use of all USB pen drives on NHS computers. This is what I am reliably told. Ask your administrator.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral