Forums
Posted By: Softy_Southerner External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 12:47pm
My daughter has a note that she got with her mobile broadband. Is it possible to run an external drive off one of these?

ps - Idiot proof replies please ie not too tecky talk raftl
Posted By: SoundLad Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 1:10pm
What make and model of notebook is it ?? or is it a netbook with Linux..
Posted By: Wheels Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 1:53pm
Should be able to get an external USB drive I reckon. You might have to put the software on a memory card to get it running tho.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 4:41pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
What make and model of notebook is it ?? or is it a netbook with Linux..

I'll find out later this week when I'm down there. I don't want to ask them coz I was thinking of getting them this for Chrimbo. wink
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 4:41pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
Should be able to get an external USB drive I reckon. You might have to put the software on a memory card to get it running tho.

They wanted a disc drive Wheels
Posted By: Mark Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 4:50pm
You can get the "Passport Drives" these can run off a USB only.
Or you can get "External Desktop Drives" which require a power pack also.

The external USB drives are great for portably and storing information. Anything 250gb would be a good starting point
and not too expensive.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 4:54pm
500GB 2.5's in eBuyer for about £50 atm. Pennies or what?!! USB 2.0 cases for SATA drives, about £2. 2.5" drives are 5v so can run off the USB 5v rail.

laugh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 5:00pm
I tell a lie... they have gone up a bit since I bought mine... well from £2 to £7 lol. But still...

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&q=2.5%2Bcaddy&limit=10&page=1

and the drives are

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172258

The cases are quality bits of kit and serve the purpose well, about £60 for a 500GB external 2.5. Havent seen any of the pre-man drives for that cheap... yet! Give it time though!

DIY of course... but its as easy as ABC... simply plug the drive in to the interface port, slide into the case, secure with two screws and plug into PC using supplied USB cable. They even supply the screwdriver lol.

If it's Windows, it will see it straight away. I get ~20MB/s from mine, which is actually rather fantastic for a USB 2.0 drive (in real terms, not theoretical). It's as good as my Iomega 1TB 3.5 external.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: External Drive for Notebook - 22nd Nov 2009 6:14pm
Thanks Guys. I'll get the make and model later this week and might be back with more questions wink
Cheers
© Wirral-Wikiwirral