Forums
Posted By: chris_gilly wireless network setup help - 12th Aug 2009 5:18pm
as above really im trying to set up a wireless network using a tp link TL-WR340G wireless router and my PC which i am using a usb internet dongle thingymajig for the ineternet.

it worked before, but the laptop would find it but couldnt connect it said trying to find address then it would stop/disconnect. now it only has limited connectectivity on my Pc and the laptop is the same as how it was (wont connect).

any advise?
Posted By: purfek Re: wireless network setup help - 12th Aug 2009 6:20pm
what range has the usb dongle such as a, b, g, n? does your router have the same range you may have heard terms like wireless n or wireless bg which relate to speed.
throw some information up on the wirless dongle (make range)
have a look here to but pay attention to the firmware number warnings
http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.asp?a=1&m=TL-WR340G

http://www.tp-link.com/support/faq.asp
frequently asked questions here too
http://www.tp-link.com/support/faq.asp?c=1
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: wireless network setup help - 12th Aug 2009 6:25pm
no i mean the internet comes from a t-mobile dongle
im using the laptops built in wi-fi and the PC and laptops band (WPA2 is it?) are set to be the same laugh
Posted By: purfek Re: wireless network setup help - 12th Aug 2009 6:37pm
now you have confused me *grin*!
WPA2 encription
I am not sure you can do what your trying to do unless your familar with Mac address cloning there is software out their!
I would have thought that t mobile may restrict to one Mac address what instruction came with the dongle? you could look at the router and see if it offers mac cloning. I think bt also operate a simlar policy with their dongles regarding connections
I am not over familar though but check if their are any restrictions
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: wireless network setup help - 12th Aug 2009 7:13pm
the router does have a mac address on it..
i have an easy setup program for it.. it instructs me to plug an ethernet lead into the PC from the wireless router and one from the internet router into the WAN port on the wireless router.
i have a broadband router, so should i run an ethernet lead to the broadband router then one out to the wireless router.. then it should work?

maybe? im useless with networking!
Posted By: davew3 Re: wireless network setup help - 12th Aug 2009 9:35pm
I am a bit confused the TP-Link TL-WR340G is a 54g wireless router and that connects to Cable Broadband,but what is the T.Mobile usb thing, is that a usb wireless 54g dongle or a usb wireless internet phone dongle that you put your sim card in,do you have the T.Mobile usb model number as that would give us a clue.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: wireless network setup help - 13th Aug 2009 8:54am
t mobile model number gi0431 its one of the internet dongle things (web'n'walk) which uses a sim card laugh
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: wireless network setup help - 13th Aug 2009 8:56am
in the easy setup guide it says plug an ethernet wire from the brtoadband router into the WAN port of the wireless routher then another ethernet cable into the PC as im using the usb mobile broadband i plugged the ethernet wire from my PC into the WAN port? im useless when it comes to network!
Posted By: little_pob Re: wireless network setup help - 13th Aug 2009 11:21am
Have you told the PC to share it's web connection?

Try the network setup wizard built into windows (assuming you are running windows). IIRC the option you want is worded something like 'other devices connect to the internet through this computer'.

As far as I know to use a cable router as a wireless acess point the PC must be plugged into port 1.

Failing that you can get HSDPA routers that you'll be able to plug your SIM or dongle into.
Posted By: davew3 Re: wireless network setup help - 13th Aug 2009 3:08pm
That tmobile gi0431 is strictly for a direct connection to the t'internet via mobile phone services,and won't allow you to connect to tp-link TL-WR340G 54g router,which is a cable router,you need a laptop with wireless on it or a usb dongle ie, a TP-Link tl-wn321g which is a usb 54g wireless dongle,you then need to set up the router and setup the dongle so both setups match.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: wireless network setup help - 13th Aug 2009 3:39pm
ok cheers bud smile ive decided to stick with plain old wire networking it works easily laugh
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: wireless network setup help - 23rd Aug 2009 3:09pm
Had some of these probs on my lads puter. Works ok on ethernet cable but won't work on wireless. Goes on about not finding the IP address. Checked thru hub manager and found noise to signal ratio is high but can't figure out what needs screening. All the ADSL filters required are in place. Been at it for 4 days up to now and having a rest before cracking back in on it, not looking forward to it. If anyone has any pointers would be obliged.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral