Forums
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 6:03pm
Just wandering if anyone can help.

it started when the fan to the processor broke, so it kept overheating and switching itself off.

i overpowerd this by using a desk fan to cool it, which kept it on, it went off this morning,

i left it to cool down for an hour then hooked it all back up and it says "no video input" on monitor screen, i checked all cables etc and everything seemed fine.

even bought a new monitor cable, stil didnt work, hooked up another tower to the monitor,

it worked till boot up screen, crashed then started doing the same thing for this pc,

even tried a diffrent monitor and they both say same thing, is it possible the first monitor could of fired both motherboards?

if so is it possible to retreive our files from the hard drive as all the shops accounts and files are there
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 6:52pm
DM

Yes, all the files can be recovered from the hard drive - but someone more techy than me will have to advise how to do it.

I did it once ( a long while ago) by removing the drive and putting it into another machine as a slave drive. HOW I did that I no longer remember

Snod
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 6:57pm
don't know about the monitor
You could take the hard drive out of the pc and put it into another pc as a slave and access the files probably or buy an external usb external hard drive case and put the hard drive into that and connect to another pc or laptop
It depends on having the same programs on the other pc/laptop that open your files
I can give you a monitor
easy setting an ide hard drive up as a slave
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 7:16pm
Damaged monitor lead, try a new lead mate
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 9:10pm
yerr check them out derek mate!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 9:56pm
I always thought that anything which relates to the monitor is the graphics card. I say..either take it, put it back in again and, if needed, reinstal. Or buy/borrow another.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 10:39pm
Tony i bought a new lead, it was the same,

and it seems to be weird that it has frazzled 2 pc's
Posted By: Northender Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 3rd Jul 2009 11:39pm
Originally Posted by Deadmau5
Just wandering if anyone can help.

it started when the fan to the processor broke, so it kept overheating and switching itself off.

Is the PC firing up with all the usual bleeps and is the fan at the back going?
If not the processor may be trashed. This could have trashed the motherboard as well.
You can certainly get all the saved data off the Hard Drive but in future it would be advisable to save your files to a USB flash drive, especially if it is a business PC.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 4th Jul 2009 8:10am
Yeah it fires up, dont hear any beeps though. the fan starts uo, both fans starts up but because of the of propellor things is snapped it makes an awful noise.

can you recommend the best way to retreive the files from the pc?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 4th Jul 2009 4:23pm
This may sound really silly - but have you tried another keyboard? - some motherboards can be locked up by the lack of a working keyboard. It is just one of those stupid things to try that might work.

dd
Posted By: purfek Re: Monitor displays "no video input" - 4th Jul 2009 5:16pm
Lets for now say that the motherboard is toast
here is how to configure the hard disk as slave, you will of course have to have a new hard drive as the master which will contain the root (C:) picture below shows removed jumper, look at the disk drive most have a diagram or the abreviations for MA SL DS
remove the jumper and put it on the two pins which match the SL slave position.
[Linked Image]
see below too

[Linked Image]
some drives can be abit more complex see below

[Linked Image]

heres a video on adding a second hard disk, which is the same
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/labratstv/870-episode-26-how-to-add-a-second-hard-drive-video.htm
© Wirral-Wikiwirral