Forums
Posted By: Wheels Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 6:52pm
I bought a new PC desktop on sat for my home media centre and CCTV.

Got it home and went to fit the hardware put it does not have the correct part frown

does anyone know how to make this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fit here:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any ideas?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 6:58pm
You can't physically do it mate, thats PCI, and your mobo only has PCI-E and AGP.

frown
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 7:08pm
Oh bollards!

Can you suggest a place to get a half decent Desktop that will?

just the base unit. smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 7:16pm
Most system 3 years or older wil have one lol. You can get PCI on modern systems, but you have to look around a bit, because its legacy and about as common as serial ports lol.

Maybe try the place in Bromborough, the one that does refurbished ex-business PC's?
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 7:24pm
dammit.

I know the place your on about. but I decided to buy a new pc instead of using my old one for the simple reason that it made to much noise and was a bit slow lol.

It was only being used for the recording of the CCTV but I decided to have on pc in the living room that would do that and more.

I guess I will just put a new OS on the old PC and keep using that. I will have to access the cameras on the new Pc Remotely frown
(Not good for energy saving using 2 pc's frown )
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 7:56pm
Do they not make a PCI-E version of the card? Anything that can use the PCI BUS, should be fully compatible with PCI-E.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 8:00pm
well i bought this one about 18months ago at sale price (£60) I didnt really want to buy another if I already have one frown

hmmmm

thanks for the help tho dude
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help. need to fit something. - 23rd Jun 2009 8:02pm
Ahhh, I thought it was new, was gonna say they might have a PCI-E kit available instead.

Gutted lol!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Help. need to fit something. - 24th Jun 2009 11:32am
i would of thought they do pci-e adaptation kits ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help. need to fit something. - 24th Jun 2009 11:37am
They do, but their not the best of solutions; they are also somewhat clunky in their design.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Help. need to fit something. - 24th Jun 2009 7:57pm
I got hammer and chisel, makes anything fit!!!! doh
Posted By: Northender Re: Help. need to fit something. - 24th Jun 2009 8:34pm
You could probably get an old PC from somewhere like Oxton Computers in Claughton Firs.
As long as it has PCI slots it will do the job, but don't get anything too old. It would have to have a processor more than 1 Gig and at least 512 Meg of memory plus a reasonable videocard with 256 Meg of memory on board.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Help. need to fit something. - 24th Jun 2009 8:41pm
lol i have 6 old pc,s in the loft all work you can have 1 if you want 1 smile

pm me dude smile if you want 1 smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help. need to fit something. - 24th Jun 2009 8:41pm
Originally Posted by Northender
You could probably get an old PC from somewhere like Oxton Computers in Claughton Firs.
As long as it has PCI slots it will do the job, but don't get anything too old. It would have to have a processor more than 1 Gig and at least 512 Meg of memory plus a reasonable videocard with 256 Meg of memory on board.

Originally Posted by Wheels
I guess I will just put a new OS on the old PC and keep using that. I will have to access the cameras on the new Pc Remotely frown
(Not good for energy saving using 2 pc's frown )

wink
Posted By: txt3rob Re: Help. need to fit something. - 28th Jun 2009 1:02pm
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164667

that will do job
© Wirral-Wikiwirral