Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 4:56pm
Virgin and Universal have signed a deal that will give the ISP's customers access to "unlimited" music.

For a monthly fee, Virgin's broadband customers will be able to download or stream as many MP3 files as they want.

As part of the deal, Virgin has pledged to aggressively police usage to stop the MP3 tracks turning up on file-sharing networks.

Virgin said it was in talks to add other music firms' back catalogues to the service.

<snip the music industry promoting hard-done-to poor music company biased shite>

Virgin said it had vowed to try a range of anti-piracy measures as part of the deal. The last resort would be a temporary suspension of a customer's internet connection if that person consistently ignored warnings about their activity.

In other words, yet another way for them to creme more money out of the customer, whilst at the same time, lowering the bandwidth usage on their insanely over-sold network. This has consumer scam written all over it, but then, when did Virgin ever do anything differently...

I can't wait to see the amount of people getting their net access suspended incorrectly as a result of this scheme, just like they did when Virgin became the first ISP to implement download restrictions.

All this crap, along with the already aggressive traffic management, fair usage policy and the "pay for network preference" routing, makes you realise just how Virgin intend to offer their 100Mbps and 200Mbps service...

"You can 10000000Mbps with us, providing you only use it for what we tell you to..."

BBC News Report
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 6:08pm
So if i was to download 1 film aday from a sharing site, would i be noticed ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 6:19pm
In the short term, probably not, but in the long-term, its the route they will take, they will crack down on it more and more. It's not really to prevent people from using illegal sites, its more to curb the amount of bandwidth being used on their network, they oversell to hell, anyone like me, who is involved in the IP transit industry and realises how much bandwidth costs, and how limited it is, knows that 50Mbps services for £50 a month just doesnt add up.

There was a report recently that suggested about 80% of all UK consumer traffic is illegal, so if they can cut 80+ percent of usage on their network, that makes life easier for them and reduces the peering and transit bills, not to mention staffing costs etc.

Its also a nice earner this stupid music service.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 6:48pm
all good things must come to an end eventually frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 6:56pm
Without a ruling from Parliament, there will be plenty of other ISP's who let you do what the fook you want online... So dont worry!

smile
only 1 a day sanchez,god i am worried,i do about 25 gig a day lol
same here. constantly transferring files.

this pc is on 24/7
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 9:21pm
are these thibg we should be atmitting too smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 10:44pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
are these thibg we should be atmitting too smile

Why not, like I give a flying fook if companies who make billions each year dont want me to share music and moves etc because its denting their profits.

Most of the shite out there, I would'nt buy anyway, if a movie or a CD is worth it, ill happily buy it (in a retail packaged CD or DVD case from a shop though, not fkin stupid to pay for an MP3), the problem is, most of the junk out nowadays is entirely that, and certainly not worth the hard earned cash!!

The other problem I have, is obtaining music I like, a lot of the stuff im into, particuarly trance etc, despite being the genre of choice everywhere else in the world, is not even released in this country because the music companies only sell what they want people to buy, they own all the radio stations and only play what they want you to buy etc...

Case in point - Cliff Richard - Millennium Prayer.

If the government ever brings in laws to stop people downloading music and films, I won't be hanging around this country. My ancestors, along with most peoples in this country, hae fought terrible bloody wars, with millions of lives lost, for Liberty and freedom, if they start telling you what you can and cant do and monitoring your every move, we may as well just become a Nazi society.

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 15th Jun 2009 11:03pm
I have access to all these file sharing sites and to be honest I don't bother anymore now. The novelty wore off. I do tend to download RAW wrestling and any of the pay-per-views but thats about it. The movie cams are always too dark to see and most of the time the hype is better then the movie!!

I am with AOHell and they been ok for me...not great...just...ok.
Posted By: camaroz Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 4th Jul 2009 7:42pm
Hope they dont block usenet eek
Posted By: Wheels Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 4th Jul 2009 8:33pm
I DL about 1 Film a month and about 2-3 CD's. Now leave me alone!
Newsgroups are the worst place to go for files.. The ammount of people who could access your computer and vice versa is alarming to say the least i.e. Embed code into files.. In the old Newgroup days you had to use an encoder cause the exe or zip files where posted in HEX format toooooooooo long!! lol but anyhoo everyone is differeny..
Posted By: camaroz Re: Virgin Media To Suspend Illegal Downloaders - 5th Jul 2009 9:35am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Newsgroups are the worst place to go for files..

Can be, but so can any sharing site..
But I meant blocking access to the "news servers".
I use encrypted services & readers (encrypted usenet prevents the loss of privacy, my usenet connection is encrypted from my computer to the news server. If anyone attempted to listen in on the conversation between my computer and the news server, all they would get is useless encrypted gibberish).
I allways use a virtual PC outside my network perimeter for all activities, and check files downloaded for integrity.
10 years use of newsgroups - never had a many problems... Except now, the Germans seem to be taking over frown

© Wirral-Wikiwirral