Forums
Posted By: Davey_Martin TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 2:52pm
i probly should know this but my head is up my arse completely at the minute!!

i bought a TV with Freeview built in. wot do i need to do to get the Freeview channels? im assuming the channel would be the one called DTV - but then it just says no signal... does it require the analog TV aerial to be plugged in? (wouldnt make sense to me) or is there something else im missing?

thanks!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:03pm
look for the button on the remote that will say something like tv/av on it.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:07pm
it has source > dtv
tv
av
hdmi1
hdmi2
hdmi3
ETC...

i would have thought the freeview channel would be D(igital)TV - but when i go on there i just get "NO SIGNAL" - do i need to get a digital aerial or somethin? just read on google that my tv might require one if it doesnt have one built into it built into it. guess i need to check the back and see if there a bit for "DTV" - will go and have a mooch!
Posted By: scoops Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:08pm
You definitely need to have an aerial plugged into the tv to get freeview wink
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:12pm
ok, cheers for the clarification - how much am i looking to pay for one that's worth having? £20, £30, £40 etc?

ta
Posted By: Sanchez Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:15pm
the aerial will cost £20, the cable £5, and how ever much some one will charge you.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:29pm
Just to add to this, if you already have an analog TV aerial, that should work. My 15 year old analog TV aerial works fine. The reason I mention this, is that some info on the web & "some" installers recommend a new aerial or digital aerial to hype up the cost!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:31pm
Our freeview system works fine on the original analogue tv aerial

and yes, more than likely, you need to use the DTV option on your remote - i know we have to
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:47pm
Originally Posted by topofthepops
Just to add to this, if you already have an analog TV aerial, that should work. My 15 year old analog TV aerial works fine. The reason I mention this, is that some info on the web & "some" installers recommend a new aerial or digital aerial to hype up the cost!

Nope, this is untrue im afraid - some locations "do" require a digital ariel, and a lot of locations will require a digital ariel to recieve all the multiplexes perfectly.

A digital ariel is designed to recieve a muh wider range of frequencies than a standard analog ariel, with a standard ariel, they are really only designed for recieving channels that are very close together within the UHF spectrum, whereas the DVB channels are located on a different part (400 - 900Mhz) of the spectrum, and each multiplex is grouped further apart. You may also find that a sandard ariel recieves 16 QAM multiplexes perfectly, but struggles with 64 QAM multiplexes and even vice versa, due to the quality of the ariel.

In area's with a strong signal reception, you won't need to upgrade because even an indoor areil will suffice, but where the signal may well be weaker, it is strongly recommended to change to a digital ariel.

If you want to try an indoor solution mate, the very best (fact, proven by the DTG) indoor ariel available is http://www.amazon.co.uk/digiTop-Amp...lectronics&qid=1221891996&sr=1-1 - it will recieve all digital channels.

With regards the TV itself, once an ariel is connected, you will usually find the Freeview installation menu located on the TV setup menu.

If an outdoor ariel is needed and get stupid quotes which you don't want to pay, you may wish to look into Sky's "Pay Once Watch Forever" package - for a £75 one time feee, you get a free digibox with installation, and then 4 months of Sky TV channels, after which, you are under no obligation to subscribe. Thanks to the bandwidth constraints of Freeview, Sky offers higher bitrate (and therefore quality) basic channels than Freeview, and also a much bigger FTA and FTV choice.

And no, im not a digital TV installer, and I know it's a con the fact that some people need to upgrade their ariels to get the full range of digital television channels, but don't blame me, it's the government who are forcing us into it, and not offering us any financial assistance when they will be coining in billions upon billions when they come to sell off the analog spectrum to mobile phone companies and the like...

If you have an ariel on your roof, try it, see what happens, it may well recieve everything without having to upgrade. Even if it doesnt, it may simply recieve all the multiplexes that you need it to (ie. the channels you like).
Posted By: topofthepops Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 3:58pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Originally Posted by topofthepops

Nope, this is untrue im afraid - some locations "do" require a digital ariel, and a lot of locations will require a digital ariel to recieve all the multiplexes perfectly.

MattLFC that's why I said "if you already have an analog TV aerial, that should work."
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:01pm

A lot of people find MuxA is hard to recieve within Wirral, due to the weakness of the signal being transmitted from the Storeton relay, this therefore usually does require a good digital ariel for a lot of people to recieve it perfectly.

5 years ago, my old ariel in my old house, was fine on everything but Mux2 and MuxA, but it didnt both me as we had Sky multiroom all around the house anyway.

wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:16pm
It would be really nice if the Storeton Transmitter covered a decent amount of the Wirral, it has a reflector to stop it going West because it would interfere with another Transmitter.

The coverage of Storeton hardly warrants the transmitter. Most of Wirral has to use Winter Hill at a rediculous distance.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:24pm
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:33pm
Ha ha forget all this digital aerial and freeview rubbish.

Get Sky's pay once watch forever package

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/pay-once.aspx

Getting it installed here on my own TV
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:39pm
It is because there is little/no benefit in having a digital ariel installed, which is exactly what the general public are led to believe by people who go around making these statements, and this is why people, like yourself, think a digital ariel is really just an analog ariel with a bit of spin doctoring and the cost of one isnt justified. It is for this reason that 99% of people who buy an "HD Ready" television, think they are instantly watching HD, though this myth is gradually being eaten away courtesy of Sky's marketing drive for their SkyHD platform.

Im afraid, there are various technical differences between an analog ariel and a digital ariel - im here to help people on the basis of facts, not what the general consensus is, or the merchants of doom who spend thier time informing everyone is being ripped off when installers say they need a digital ariel and ariel installers are making a quick buck out of it.

Not only is there a difference between the actual ariels, but there is also a significant difference between the way DVB-T1 and ATT works technologically, it's basically like saying an analog satellite dish can recieve DVB-S, the dish can yes, but it requires a digital LNB, so whilst they look the same, they don't do exactly the same job (and I don't really want to get into the technicalities of the Sky minidish and its odd feedhorn etc).

You may find the word stupid offensive, I find the comment misleading and stupid, so that's your problem. Don't post such comments, and you won't be (easily) offended.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:44pm
Tony:

If an outdoor ariel is needed and get stupid quotes which you don't want to pay, you may wish to look into Sky's "Pay Once Watch Forever" package - for a £75 one time feee, you get a free digibox with installation, and then 4 months of Sky TV channels, after which, you are under no obligation to subscribe. Thanks to the bandwidth constraints of Freeview, Sky offers higher bitrate (and therefore quality) basic channels than Freeview, and also a much bigger FTA and FTV choice.

Freeview isnt crap as you like to call it, it's actually rather good, once you have an ariel that can do the job correctly. It's mainly a question of what do you want, and how much do you want to pay. Freeview is very affordable compared to other options, especially when it comes to using a PVR.

The main downside with Sky is the cost of using a PVR (Sky+ only) with the service; there is the benefit in the fact you can changeover to Freesat, but right now you have to look to pay stupid prices for the PVR's thanks to the propietary licensing fee's. You can of course pick up standard non-Sky and non-Freesat PVR's for around £170, but for the mostpart, the word crap is an understatement.

Personally, I will be moving to Freesat when the Humax Foxsat's come down in price, but for now I will stick with TopUp TV using the Freeview DVB-T1 service.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:48pm
it's kool... thanks for the information but managed to get sky box workin that my bro used to use here... smile

Posted By: topofthepops Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:48pm
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:49pm
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 4:55pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
it's kool... thanks for the information but managed to get sky box workin that my bro used to use here... smile

Nice one fella, does it have a new viewing card? If its not on an active subscription, you will most probably need to contact Sky to obtain a new one within the next couple of months, to continue using the FTV (FTA services will be unaffaected - ITV and Channel 5 channels are FTV unfortunately) service, but there will be a charge.

If it was originally on a Freesat From Sky card provided with either of the FSFS scheme's, and it was bought within the past 3 years, you will qualify for a free replacement.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:01pm
I'm off to check my freeview is still working nono
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:02pm
i couldnt tell u mate, mum got 2 new cards in post the other day tho. popped it in and it worked after a couple of minutes. havent checked itv or channel 5 yet, just away to costco but will try when i get home! was tryin to program remote to my tv but no idea of the code i need, or if my remote is compatible with my tv

Wharfedale LT32K1CB
Sky remote is a really old blue one i think

any ideas?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:06pm
If its a new card in the post, it will be fine smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:07pm
yea little white one
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:11pm
Thats the one mate.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:12pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 5:19pm
yep, that's wot i had to swap
Posted By: Mark Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 6:43pm
OK OK OK

Keep this civil please.
I have had to edit several post to keep this on the forums.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 9:34pm
oshocked my thread under threat over squabbling, oh no's frown lol
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: TV/Freeview - 3rd Jun 2009 10:08pm
nothing new here
Posted By: chriskay Re: TV/Freeview - 4th Jun 2009 8:13am
[Linked Image]

I have a Sky box but I don't subscribe any more. At the moment, using the blue card, I get a range of programmes. I'm not sure I understand the difference between FTV & FTA. Anyway, will I need a new card & if so, when & who do I contact?

Thanks, Chris.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: TV/Freeview - 4th Jun 2009 8:45am
my mum was sent one in the post for each box
Posted By: MattLFC Re: TV/Freeview - 5th Jun 2009 5:57pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
[Linked Image]

I have a Sky box but I don't subscribe any more. At the moment, using the blue card, I get a range of programmes. I'm not sure I understand the difference between FTV & FTA. Anyway, will I need a new card & if so, when & who do I contact?

Thanks, Chris.

Chris, you will need to contact Sky if you have not recieved a new card, but there may well be a small charge for this.

FTV is Free-to-view and FTA is Free-to-air. Basically, Free-to-air channels do not require a card to work as they are unencrypted, just a reciever and dish, free-to-view channels on the other require a card to decrypt them.

The advantage of some channels being free-to-view as opposed to free-to-air is mainly because they can restrict content based upon your location, and also send your localised feed (BBC North West is sent to customers in the North West, and customers outside of Scotland can't view the Old Firm matches on BBC Scotland), and also Sky charges a lower fee for placement on the Sky EPG for a FTV channel than it does for a FTA channel, because they can use the channels to add value to their service. Because of a dispute of EPG costs, this led to ITV not being carried at all on Sky during the first couple of years that Sky Digital was available, and there is now a dispute taking place over ITV HD which has led to it too not being available on SkyHD.

This is why Five was not present at the launch of Freesat, and its satellite channels still remain unavailable, because they are encrypted. It is also why people were alerted by Sky to a change with Five last October-ish. Five does now have a FTA feed for Freesat (you could manually add it as "other channels" on a Sky decoder it I think - though don't take my word for that because ITV HD can't be added to a SkyHD decoder despite that feed being FTA), but remains officially FTV within the Sky EPG.
Posted By: chriskay Re: TV/Freeview - 5th Jun 2009 7:47pm
Thanks for that very clear explanation, Matt. I'll contact Sky.

Cheers, Chris.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral