Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Video to disk - 16th Jan 2009 12:09pm
Folks]

I have an oldish VHS/ PAL video tape ie normal UK system, showing some techy demonstrations lasting around 30 minutes or so. I would very much like to have that on disk so that I can run it from a laptop when I am away from home.

Does anyone have the knowledge and a facility to do such a conversion - a fee would be paid.

Ta

Snod
Posted By: Wheels Re: Video to disk - 16th Jan 2009 12:24pm
This is the only thing I can think of mate

CLICK HERE
Posted By: little_pob Re: Video to disk - 16th Jan 2009 1:48pm
A TV capture device like one of these are cheaper than the USB VHS players Firebox et al sell: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Sy...=software&qid=1231801311&sr=8-32
or
http://easycap.co.uk/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Video to disk - 19th Jan 2009 8:57am
See PM
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Video to disk - 23rd Jan 2009 3:21pm
Originally Posted by little_pob
A TV capture device like one of these are cheaper than the USB VHS players Firebox et al sell: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Sy...=software&qid=1231801311&sr=8-32
or
http://easycap.co.uk/

I have a USB type one, with 4 video inputs.

Anyone know of decent software for video monitoring/recording? Ideally with motion detection.

In the videocap link, they suggest using Ulead VideoStudio, but you cannot view more than one input with it.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Video to disk - 23rd Jan 2009 3:37pm
Just buy a cheap DVD recorder. then scart out from VHS player to scart in on DVD recorder, Play video and record DVD. hey presto.

Then if you wanted it on your laptop instead of DVD, you can get software to rip DVD onto your hardrive.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Video to disk - 23rd Jan 2009 4:40pm
Thanks folks but courtesy of Bert1 the video tape is now on DVD and plays great.

NOW the problem is how to edit the thing. All I want to do is chop off about 10 seconds at the beginning and at the end. All attempts so far = fail!

I have tried MS editor, Nero and Pinnacle.

The Web tells me that the .vob file on the DVD is really a. .mpg file in disguise and can simply be renamed. OK, I copy the .vob file from the DVD and put it on the hard drive and rename it as .mpg. When I double click on that sure enough the video opens and plays in Windows Media Player just like any other .mpg on my machine.

Right so it should be easy to import the .mpg into one of the editing programs

HAH ! No joy. It is obviously not a "real" .mpg even though Windows Media Player can cope. For Example if I try to import into MS Moviemaker than at random I get one of two error messages

a. A Codec is not installed on my machine - so how the ***** can the file play ok in Windows Media Player ????

b. “An interface has too many methods to fire events from”. A statement in bad English that is completely unintelligible to me

Any clever people out there can help?

Snod
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Video to disk - 23rd Jan 2009 8:23pm
it probably wont help that much but all pirate type peeps use a program called auto gordian knot to rip a movie file from a dvd which can then be edited,never used though so a bit off googling will be needed.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Video to disk - 23rd Jan 2009 9:55pm
I have had a quick look at the advertising blurb for that program. I think I will give it a try. Can't lose anything by trying.

Thanks

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Video to disk - 7th Feb 2009 9:34pm
OK, I tried - and it failed.

It looks to be a reasonable bit of software and it DOES cope with other .vob files or .mpg files. It just will not cope with THIS one I need to edit.

I cannot see why because the .vob file was created on a normal dvd recorder by transfer from a VHS tape. Surely if there was something "funny" (protective) on the tape that would not have transferred over whan making the DVD disk?

Snod
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Video to disk - 7th Feb 2009 11:57pm
are you sure that there are no read errors on the disc.sometimes helps to get the video files on to your hard disc as opposed to working straight from a dvd,for this purpose i would use dvd decrypter to get the files on to my hard drive and then run the files through dvd shrink which will create a new video ts folder to work from.there are probably much easier ways that people may know of but this method has worked for me in the past so i stick with it.any editing a need to do after that ,i have loaded the vobs into nerovision and created a new dvd.very time consuming so i rarely bother unless it is a very importaant disc to me.

a very good place to nose around is here http://www.doom9.org/
Posted By: Mark Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 12:02am
convert your .vob to a AVI then you should be able to edit and chop, but its gonna take time,

use nero vision to re-patch the avi back together wink

I dont know off hand a .vob to avi converter sorry.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 12:56am
Download This....

G-Spot

It will tell you the real codec it is in and what to convert it with wink
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 1:31am
raftl raftl raftl

Sorry Ste... G-Spot hahahahha
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 8:44pm
Trust you craig
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 8:47pm
Also i am the file master! i can convert any file to any file gottit!

I can put full films on your mobile phone! who needs i-pod wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 9:05pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Also i am the file master! i can convert any file to any file gottit!

I can put full films on your mobile phone! who needs i-pod wink

[Linked Image]

I am determined to "have a go" at this myself - but if it fails you may just have talked yourself into a job !!!

Still struggling but have not had time today as I have been entertaining parents - mother is 91 today.

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 10:03pm
Yabba Dabba Doo

Done it!

I used SmartRipper (free download) to take the .vob file off the disk and make another .vob - but one presumably with the "creases ironed out"

Then I used VideoReDo (time limited download. Nice program) to import the file, edit it and save it as an .mpg - which runs fine under Windows Media Player

Thanks to everyone for their inputs

Snod

Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 10:21pm
well done,every time i have tried smart ripper it crashes when it finds bad sectors on the disc instead of skipping them.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 10:43pm
nice one happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Video to disk - 8th Feb 2009 11:37pm
Thats great news Snod, any help needed in the future feel free to pm me happy
Posted By: Wheels Re: Video to disk - 9th Feb 2009 1:49pm
http://media-convert.com/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral