Forums
Posted By: jonno40 Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 5:08pm
could anyone recommend a decent downloadable computer protection software my subscription to mcafee is due to end (thank god)
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 5:21pm
I use AVG which is free and have no problems
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 5:26pm
I have some experience with AVG and in my experience i didn't find it to be to good. I would recommend ESET Nod32, small system footprint and finds and deletes virus' that AVG and Symantec can't even find.

I have fixed so many infected computers with NOD 32.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 5:50pm
AVG is one of the better free downloadable Anti-Virus softwares about at the moment.

Not had much experience myself with downloadable one's, but i do suggest

AVG
NOD32

Have had reports from loads of people saying they are both as good as each other.

But personally I think I will keep to my payed subscription one's.
Posted By: Mark Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 7:19pm
Originally Posted by AX_125
I have some experience with AVG and in my experience i didn't find it to be to good. I would recommend ESET Nod32, small system footprint and finds and deletes virus' that AVG and Symantec can't even find.

As Ax says happy

You pay for what you get.
wouldn't trust a free Antivirus or Firewall.
Cos you cant balme anyone.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 7:43pm
Exactly why i pay for my protection

£19.99 for 1 year of Kaspersky Internet Security

Bought this year's protection from Amazon UK
Posted By: scoops Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 8:19pm
I've had no problems at all using free software.
Nearly 10 years using AVG, Zonealarm, Adaware and Spybot S&D with regular updates and scans. Not once did anything slip past my defences laugh
Maybe I was lucky, but as I was using Windows 98 I must have been really lucky wink
Damn, I should have put the lottery on more often lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 9:55pm
AVG Free - is Grisofts flagship advert, if this mucks up they wouldn't be able to sell any of their pay-for products. I trust it as much as any other product, used McAfee for many years but they didn't stay ahead of the game. I would be much more wary of freeware that doesn't have a pay-for product - they have no incentive to be careful.

Just found a security hole in Zone Alarm after many years of singing their praises, I had my router IP address in the Trusted Zone (as many authorities have stated this is ok and safe), but I managed talk to the internet by pretending I was just talking to the router. Put my router IP in the Internet Zone now.

If you have frequent wireless hangups with the internet, try making the router as the (only) DNS server which can make things a lot more stable.

Posted By: jonno40 Re: Computer protection - 12th Jan 2009 9:59pm
Thanks for all the excellent info guys smile
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Computer protection - 13th Jan 2009 12:32am
Originally Posted by AX_125

I have also had many probs with AVG and currently use ESET Nod32 which I recommend to everybody.My opinion-faultles.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral