Forums
Posted By: Sanchez xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 7:46pm
I knew this day would come, does any one have any handy tips on what i should do. The xbox is just under 3 years old and i have the reciept for it too.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 7:51pm
https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-gb

Go here. We had one repaired that was out of the shop warranty. They will automatically repair the box if its a specific fault.
Then they send a label for you to package it. Then a courier comes and collects (usually UPS), then about 10 days later they bring it back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 8:08pm
i done me son's useing this info. i have a few more sites will try and find them for you. but the video and the two links i have put up are the best i found, when i was looking.
hope this helps happy

[youtube]4wa05IgHr2s[/youtube]

====XBOX 360 three red lights=====

Xbox 360 Error codes
Posted By: scoops Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 8:14pm
There are a couple of methods for fixing it posted on instructables
here
and here
I can't vouch for their accuracy as I've never tried them (I don't have a 360) but some people seem to have had positive results.

Hope this helps smile
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 8:22pm
You'll invalidate any warranty if you try it yourself.

I hear a bag of frozen peas can help if its over-heating lol raftl
Posted By: peodude Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 8:57pm
Ring Microsoft, the 360 is covered under warranty for 3 years on RROD
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:12pm
cheers guys for your help, i'll send the bugger off, unless any one has some heat sink compound handy, if so i'll pick it up off you and do it tonight !
Posted By: Wench Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:46pm
Should that be heat shrink compound?? If so, I know a man who will have some happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:48pm
no, heat sink compound is right

I have some Andy, but I'm in Eastham
Posted By: Wench Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:49pm
Ahhh - not the stuff I was thinking of then. Sorry sorry
Posted By: Mark Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:51pm
Nope its Heat Sink happy

Dont ask me why lol
Posted By: Mark Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:51pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
no, heat sink compound is right

I have some Andy, but I'm in Eastham

Joe that's Lube you have omg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:51pm
It was Joe, in Eastham, with the Heat Sink Compound

Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:54pm
lol, well its getting sorted by xbox,i'll just have to do with out my beloved xbox for a while frown just as im starting fall out 3....what a twaat
Posted By: Mark Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:55pm
My boss in work sent 2 of them off in August.
They went on Monday and came back on the Friday ?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 9:57pm
They were quick with our's
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 10:06pm
how quick miss g, ive filled out the aplication, im just waiting for an email to tell me when an empty box is turning up
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 10th Jan 2009 11:46pm
10 days I reckon - was same UPS guy who collected and delivered back. And they didn't return our's repaired - they gave us a brand new one - knew that because we took down the serial number to be sure. New one turned up with all the little labels on the shiny bits (y'know that stop em scratching in transit).
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 11th Jan 2009 1:02pm
hmmm, intersesting, i shall bare this in mind. Well thanks every one for all your help !
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 12th Jan 2009 5:51pm
Did you get this sorted mate?

A friend of mine does these repairs, can ask him to take a look if you want
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 12th Jan 2009 6:13pm
Microsoft will sort it and you don't pay anything - P&P is free
Posted By: Shambo Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 12th Jan 2009 9:41pm
I hate my xbox. frown I bought one of the first ones, and promptly lost the reciept. After about 6 months of stuttering gameplay, it gave up the ghost with the RROD. I couldn't send it back to Microsoft, (at this point they were still denying the high failure rates of their consoles were their responsibility), so I cursed it, and put it in a box under my bed.

Over Christmas I was talking to a friend who runs a computer gubbins shop about how rubbish the xbox reliability was, and he convinced me to bring it into him for repair. I'd been reluctant to get it fixed because I thought I might be throwing good money after bad. He fixed it in a day for £40. Excitedly, I rushed it home, but not before I purchased 'GTA4' and 'Dead Space' on the way.

It packed up again last night, after stuttering through 5 days of gameplay. The picture suddenly turned a tartan green colour, then froze. Upon reboot I received one flashing red light and the system error code E74. A little digging on the internet reveals the cause of this all too common fault, the graphics chip is knackered, something Microsoft haven't seen fit to take responsibility for so isn't covered by any extended warranty, (which I would have invalidated anyway taking it for an unauthorised repair).

During the short time it did work, apart from the deafening noise the little box makes, I was happy to have it. If anybody is considering buying a new xbox, I'd suggest they try to find one of the newer 'jasper' consoles which hopefully will have addressed the hardware failures of previous machines. The way to find one is a little vague. I believe they're shipping as the low price 'arcade' packages, (£125 from Argos), which come with 256mb of built in memory. You need to look at the info on the back of the console itself to be sure though. It will have been built after August '08 and the power socket will read 12V-12.1A. Older models draw 14.1A.

Phew...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 13th Jan 2009 3:15am
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Microsoft will sort it and you don't pay anything - P&P is free

its not what you know, its who you know wink
Posted By: Mark Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 13th Jan 2009 8:44am
excellent info there shambo i think you have turned a corner there wink
Posted By: Rhobit Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 19th Jan 2009 5:07pm
Originally Posted by Shambo
I hate my xbox. frown I bought one of the first ones, and promptly lost the reciept. After about 6 months of stuttering gameplay, it gave up the ghost with the RROD. I couldn't send it back to Microsoft, (at this point they were still denying the high failure rates of their consoles were their responsibility), so I cursed it, and put it in a box under my bed.

Over Christmas I was talking to a friend who runs a computer gubbins shop about how rubbish the xbox reliability was, and he convinced me to bring it into him for repair. I'd been reluctant to get it fixed because I thought I might be throwing good money after bad. He fixed it in a day for £40. Excitedly, I rushed it home, but not before I purchased 'GTA4' and 'Dead Space' on the way.

It packed up again last night, after stuttering through 5 days of gameplay. The picture suddenly turned a tartan green colour, then froze. Upon reboot I received one flashing red light and the system error code E74. A little digging on the internet reveals the cause of this all too common fault, the graphics chip is knackered, something Microsoft haven't seen fit to take responsibility for so isn't covered by any extended warranty, (which I would have invalidated anyway taking it for an unauthorised repair).

During the short time it did work, apart from the deafening noise the little box makes, I was happy to have it. If anybody is considering buying a new xbox, I'd suggest they try to find one of the newer 'jasper' consoles which hopefully will have addressed the hardware failures of previous machines. The way to find one is a little vague. I believe they're shipping as the low price 'arcade' packages, (£125 from Argos), which come with 256mb of built in memory. You need to look at the info on the back of the console itself to be sure though. It will have been built after August '08 and the power socket will read 12V-12.1A. Older models draw 14.1A.

Phew...

Just to add to this, from what I'm aware, the RROD is usually caused by the GPU coming away from the motherboard due to poor venitlation and cooling within the 360 itself.

Some people have advised turning it on and wrapping it in a towel and then turning it off. Apparently this helps the GPU solder melt where it can then sink back into the board. You can find tutorials for it on youtube.

I had a look at it but didn't try this myself as I'd rather just get microsoft to fix it. I sent it off and had a brand new console back within about 10 days (with a free month on xbox live to boot). Not bad considering it failed nearly 3 years after being bought (close to initial release).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 19th Jan 2009 5:16pm
Originally Posted by Rhobit

Just to add to this, from what I'm aware, the RROD is usually caused by the GPU coming away from the motherboard due to poor venitlation and cooling within the 360 itself.

Some people have advised turning it on and wrapping it in a towel and then turning it off. Apparently this helps the GPU solder melt where it can then sink back into the board. You can find tutorials for it on youtube.

I had a look at it but didn't try this myself as I'd rather just get microsoft to fix it. I sent it off and had a brand new console back within about 10 days (with a free month on xbox live to boot). Not bad considering it failed nearly 3 years after being bought (close to initial release).

noonoothats if you dont want your xbox anymore.. raftl as it fooks it... yes
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 2:57pm
XBOX came back today, I got a brand new one back and a months free subscription, I love my xbox xxx
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 4:44pm
I knew you'd get a new one smile
Posted By: Shambo Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 5:11pm
I took mine back to the shop where it was repaired and a couple of hours later recieved a call telling me it was ready for collection. Upon closer inspection it appeared they'd given me a different console... this one was grubbier than the one I'd given them but was also a hellova lot quieter... but it RROD'ed after another 5 days, taking out all the saved game info on my hard drive as well.

I've bitten the bullet and bought a new one, (madness I know), keeping the reciept in a very safe place this time. If I hadn't spent so much money on games for the damned thing I would have bought a PS3 instead. The new machine isn't a 'jasper' but it's alot quieter still and so far no problems... touch wood.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 5:17pm
lol, why didnt you just send it back to xbox free of charge shambo,

right as always miss G !
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 6:30pm
Originally Posted by Shambo
I took mine back to the shop where it was repaired and a couple of hours later recieved a call telling me it was ready for collection. Upon closer inspection it appeared they'd given me a different console... this one was grubbier than the one I'd given them but was also a hellova lot quieter...

You takin the piss mate? mad

Different console? Wtf?
Posted By: Shambo Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 7:02pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
You takin the piss mate? mad

Different console? Wtf?

Erm... no? It looked and sounded different. They had quite a few refurbed consoles knocking around and I assumed they just gave me one of those instead.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 7:07pm
is that shop your mates ste ?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 7:10pm
I've heard of people getting an old console back - important to keep a hold of your serial number. But 9/10 times I've heard that through Microsoft you get a brand new console.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 7:16pm
I've heard of people getting an old console back - important to keep a hold of your serial number. But 9/10 times I've heard that through Microsoft you get a brand new console.

Exactly!

in other words, the shop get the `new` console wheras you get a piece of crap!
They should of asked you mate, thats wrong no

Originally Posted by Sanchez
is that shop your mates ste ?

Eh? i don`t know anyone with a games shop?
Posted By: Shambo Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 7:29pm
Erkk!

I hadn't considered that, but I don't think so.

Remember, they'd already repaired the console once before. Which means they opened the console up, and broke the holographic Microsoft anti tamper tag, therefore invalidating any warranty.

Unless they've found a way around it, in that case good luck to them. Like I said, the guy's a friend of mine, I thought he swapped it because he wanted me to have a working console. The fact that MS swap some old consoles for new suggests a few of them are beyond repair. There doesn't seem to be any sure fire fixes for the RROD, just a series of tweaks that ressurect the machine, until it RROD's again.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 8:07pm
laugh sorry mate, i thought it was your average run of the mill games shop and they were taking the piss raftl
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 2nd Feb 2009 10:21pm
lol, I thought shambo had taken it to a shop your mate owned and you were defending his honor raftl
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 7:59pm
I have hear that you can start up the xbox wrapped in a towel, this apparently reattaches the processor to the motherboard by melting the solder.

raftl

some people will belive anything!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 9:39pm
I've seen it on youtube ste, It does actually work, it re-solders the chip back to the mother board or something, check out the linkage bud

[youtube]31tvXu34T8Q[/youtube]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 9:54pm
raftl

i`m gonna buy a broken one off ebay right now and try it laugh

And in my opinion if they get hot enough to melt the solder they are designed pretty lame internally, considering its just a pc it should shut down when it reaches a certain temperature???
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 9:56pm
I aint too sure bud, but even if that doesn't work, i think its worth trying this on it too, I might get one too.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsz0lNJ6JrQ&NR=1
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 10:19pm
worth a try, man! wtf has he done to his xbox? omg

lets spray paint my psp! raftl
Posted By: PeterLFC Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 10:24pm
hi there ls someone my wlfe knows, fixes rings of death he done over 300 with no probs . if you want pm me and let you know .
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:02pm
Originally Posted by PeterLFC
hi there ls someone my wlfe knows, fixes rings of death he done over 300 with no probs . if you want pm me and let you know .

Is that wife or wolf? omg
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:03pm
im sure you can just send them off to microsoft to fix them
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:05pm
Originally Posted by Tony_1985
im sure you can just send them off to microsoft to fix them

You can tony - and you have a good chance of getting a brand new box back if you do. But they'd probably say no if you've tampered with it yourself first.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:05pm
trust me guys DO NOT DO THE TOWEL TRICK it blows ye processor to bits.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:20pm
Originally Posted by _jase_

NOOOO - do it do it! And remember to film your mad waste of time and money smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:32pm

NOOOO - do it do it! And remember to film your mad waste of time and money smile

i`ll do it if i can find one on ebay cheap laugh

then i`ll put it back on ebay if it don`t work laugh
Posted By: MissGuided Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:36pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

i`ll do it if i can find one on ebay cheap laugh

then i`ll put it back on ebay if it don`t work laugh

Yeah just don't mention the wet towel escapade lol raftl

They'll just think its had a clean.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:46pm
pmsl, ste " you'll prob end up buying one thats been towel'd to death !!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 23rd Feb 2009 11:49pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
pmsl, ste " you'll prob end up buying one thats been towel'd to death !!!!

withthat :r:pmsl raftl
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: xbox 3 lights of death help - 24th Feb 2009 12:34am
lol, i`m looking for one unopened and with a box wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral