Forums
Originally Posted by BBC News
An application has expectedly quit.

Windows 3.x has come to the closing moments of its long life.

On 1 November Microsoft stopped issuing licences for the software that made its debut in May 1990 in the US.

The various versions of Windows 3.x (including 3.11) released in the early 1990s, were the first of Microsoft's graphical user interfaces to win huge worldwide success.
They helped Microsoft establish itself and set the trend for how it makes its revenues, and what drives the company until the present day.

It was certainly the first Windows OS I used, of course I have dabbled in 2.0 and the like since, but 3.1 was my first experience with a non-BBC and non-Acorn PC.

BBC News Report

[Linked Image]
have never used it i dont think lol

think nt was the os installed on my first pc
The first operating system I used was Windows 95 and the first game that i played on was...
wolfenstein 3d hahah!

I also made the pc unusable at times, done something that disabled the sound and then decided i
should format the pc while the operating system is running lmaooo!!! but hey i was only
young back then

Wolfenstien 3D haha... id hazard a guess that might well have been the first gamne I ever played... either that or Championship Manager 2....

laugh
Originally Posted by Pomp
I also made the pc unusable at times, done something that disabled the sound and then decided i
should format the pc while the operating system is running lmaooo!!! but hey i was only
young back then

You still do wierd and wacky things like that now don't you? Only they tend to be more subtle grin
wow, i`m sure this came on about 55 floppy disks laugh
Or was that windows 95? think

Reminds me of the game `Doom`

[Linked Image]
3.1 was my First Port of call.... and thank god...Hated every minute of it till Windows 98.....

We did have Myst on it however, but no decent actual games...
Same here, 3.1 was the first OS I used.

I remember using it for IT in year 7.

Originally Posted by _Ste_
wow, i`m sure this came on about 55 floppy disks laugh
Or was that windows 95? think

Reminds me of the game `Doom`

[Linked Image]

Think it came on 8 floppy disks.

I downloaded and installed it a while back, but got bored of it straight away.

Doom - what a classic game
I still have a laptop with Win 3.1 on it as the operating system. Nice Compaq machine complete with a base station. Up in the loft somewhere along with a lot of other junk

Snod
I still have the disks: 3 disks of MSDOS & 8 of WIN 3.11 (please don't ask me why; I haven't a clue).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: End Of An Era: Windows 3.1 Bows Out After 18 Years - 5th Nov 2008 8:04pm
Three down

Four to go......including Windoze 7...

Originally Posted by Snodvan
I still have a laptop with Win 3.1 on it as the operating system. Nice Compaq machine complete with a base station. Up in the loft somewhere along with a lot of other junk

Snod

Snap happy still got my LTE smile Great little machine with the mouse on the side of the screen.. How it should be today.. I HATE touch pads.. On the other note ive got Windows 3.11 on Virtual PC cause i love nostalja and i can even search the net with it LOL laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral