Forums
Posted By: Mark Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 8th May 2008 10:07pm
Half a million infections of latest Trojan

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8258878

Medium panic

The Trojan has been denoted as a ‘medium’ threat that doesn’t sound like cause for concern but it is the first malware to be given this high a threat level since 2005.

Cyber-criminals have used different file sizes, different languages and different formats to fool people into running the software, and any attempt to play the file will result in ads being served to the infected computer.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 8th May 2008 10:31pm
Hmmm, what i find hilarious is the fact i have absolutly NO protection on my machine and i have never had a problem laugh
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 9th May 2008 10:52am
same here bud, all i've noticed from having norton etc is a slow computer thats prone to go wrong, my last 2 pc were not run on any anti virus programs, and they have been fine !, i think its a big scam
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 9th May 2008 11:11am
It's 50/50; I never ran any antivirus software on and off for year's, I still dont think I run any on my Media Centre, yet I have never had any problems with Virus's.

Although having said that, I have had Virus's in the past, just nothing fatal.

The one thing is though, I have seen the effects of fatal virus's many time in the past, from messed up computers to keyloggers taking someones bank details, to the likes of the CIH virus, which has rendered the firmware in some devices useless.

Its quite true that if you don't visit dodgy sites, you will usually be okay, but virus's can be spread in various ways, and with too much ease.

As for the likes of Norton slowing down you're PC, all the big boys do because they are coded shite imho; go for better, more accurate and more secure antivirus like Nod32, which whilst offering the very best protection of any software and being used by IT professionals worldwide, it very very light on system resources, to the point that you don't even know its running.

smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 9th May 2008 11:35am
I haven't come across this one yet, and hopefully i wont

My internet security suite updates every 6 hours by default

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 7 at the moment, and have found no problems with it, and it doesn't affect the computer's speed at all
Posted By: Pomp Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 9th May 2008 11:50am
A malicious MPEG or MP3 file which has been propagated through popular file-sharing sites

When it says file-sharing sites does it mean like, limewire? or rapidshare etc?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 9th May 2008 11:55am
p2p/filesharing, will mean any p2p/filesharing networks/sites Pomp! Most likely to be p2p though.

smile
Posted By: chiccy Re: Half a million infections of latest Trojan - 9th May 2008 12:51pm
hmm better sort of my new protection x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral