Forums
Posted By: Mark Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:34pm
Another Free view Box by the BBC and ITV.
it was on the news tonight, and people say why?
its already available.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:35pm
i heard something about this b4 but did not catch it all is it just like the normal free view
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:50pm
It is available, but only at Argos and Comet, and supplies are limited.

The box will cost you £60 - £170 and then you have an installation charge of £80.00 (absolute rip off, installation should be no more than £50 or so).

Considering Sky already offer their installed FFS service for £150.00 all in for a new customer or free for customers who are out of contract (the best way to do it is to take the minimum subscription for a year at £16.00 per month with a free Sky box and installation, which means you will pay £192.00 over the year, but get some decent channels and free internet during that time, and then cancel the subscription and go onto the free service).

MASSIVE CON - This service is supposed to be for people who don't want or can't recieve Freeview (which IMHO is a load of garbage as half the wirral needs a £150+ ariel installation to get every channel). However, whilst it has 72 channels (compared to 150 on FFS), it does not have the likes of Channel 5, these are only available on Sky as they are FTV and therfore encrypted and not FTA, although FFS customers can recieve them.

All in all: stay away, stay well away - this service is the next BSB, once the BBC and ITV realise it is a waste of money and people don't want it, it will be eaten up by SKY and probably become BSKYFREESATB lmao raftl
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:53pm
thanks matt i new you would no something anout it nice one so what you saying is stay away then raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:54pm
Well, unless you want ITV HD when it eventually launches, yes.

smile
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:55pm
not really lol thanks for the info o wise one
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 8:58pm
BTW, the GUI looks nice and colourful, very modern, but as with every darn STB, cable, satellite and freeview, it is not a patch on Sky's proprietary EPG system, just not as clean or as simple to use.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Free Sat - 6th May 2008 9:06pm
You can buy FTA sats from the likes of maplins.. Although it dont have channel 5 etc it has aload of other sh** to watch for example need a JML Lawnmower ? then buy one of these and watch the 1000's of shopping channels it has haha!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Free Sat - 7th May 2008 9:14pm
I've got hard drive recorder with built in Freeview - love it to bits! I've got the ease of recording like Sky+ (EPG, Series link etc)but no monthly subscription. I had Sky before I moved up here and dumped it when I bought HD and have never regretted it.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Free Sat - 7th May 2008 9:25pm
What HD services transmit via Freeview? Ofcom have not issued any license's yet, in fact there is debate going on atm involving Michael Grade as to whether Ofcoms license distribution proposals are even viable.

I know the BBC trialled HD via DTT for a short while, but it was a conditional access trial and you needed a special box for it.

think
Posted By: mijian Re: Free Sat - 18th Aug 2008 8:12am
Box cost £150, sat dish £30 all in, installed myself, quality superb, unless freeview does HD channel, which I suspect not, get loads of channels not on FTA, and they are adding more all the time. 5 due online by xmas I hear.

Olympics in HD total boss, size your dish right and you can always upgrade in the future.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral