Forums
Posted By: Mark BBC and ISPs clash over iPlayer - 9th Apr 2008 1:24pm
Originally Posted by bbc news
A row about who should pay for extra network costs incurred by the iPlayer has broken out between internet service providers (ISPs) and the BBC.

ISPs say the on-demand TV service is putting strain on their networks, which need to be upgraded to cope.

Ashley Highfield, head of future media and technology at the corporation, has said he believes the cost of network upgrades should be carried by ISPs.

Simon Gunter, from ISP Tiscali, said the BBC should contribute to the cost.

read more Click Me
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BBC and ISPs clash over iPlayer - 9th Apr 2008 5:05pm
IMO, it's the ISP's responsibility for the cost of network upgrades.

The BBC are just providing a service.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC and ISPs clash over iPlayer - 9th Apr 2008 5:29pm
Lol... this was one of the things the BBC was testing during it's two year long trial, the impact such a service would have upon ISP's.

And it was proven negligable. It's just Tiscali, who are in dire straits financially as always, trying to get more revenue from somewhere by any mean's!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC and ISPs clash over iPlayer - 9th Apr 2008 5:33pm
Plus if an ISP can't handle its load, it should'nt be offering what it is... If the customer is using what they are paying for, then where is the problem??

Oh yeah, when the likes of Virgin are offering stupid speeds in the numbers game race without the infastructure to cope with customers actually using it.

I pay for 8Mbps downstream and 1.3Mbps upstream, it say's unlimited and within reason, (i don't mind a lenient fair use policy) I expect to be able to use it.

And I don't expect my ISP to start moaning to the likes of BBC and other content provider's because myself and other customers are making use of their services.

Maybe this could herald the start of providers "getting real" with their promises, speeds etc... I for one, do hope so.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral