Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:31am
Right, got a brand new install of Windows XP. And from the off, the windows "click" sounds have been a bit dodgy. Applied all updates, SP2, IE7 etc, still the same.

Now its really weird, and you will probably think wtf, but it is as though the click sound when you navigate using links in IE and Explorer is sometimes lazy.

What happens is it sometimes sounds fine, and then other times it will sound as though it is somewhat slow or sluggish, and sometimes doesnt finish the entire sound.

Yet everything appears to be working fine!! No slowdowns etc... Only got a few things installed so far, Office 2003, ESET Smart Security, WinRAR, NetMeter, Winamp, Alcohol, VLC, Opera, WS_FTP, Partition Magic, and just installed BitTorrent... nothing that I don't usually have installed/have installed on the other laptop hard drive/media centre and they dont experience the problem.

Anyone ever experienced this/know why it's happening??

I have posted on a few PC forums and WHT, but so far, it has drawn a blank. It's really starting to irritate me now; im gonna end up re-installing at this rate lol - I like my Windows "click".

frown
Posted By: Pomp Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 9:43am
loool, not experienced that one before. Audio cable connected properly?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 10:08am
No lol, tis on a laptop, also, everything else sound wise works fine.

Doin me head in not having a proper and reliable click lol.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 10:19am
as you say, re-install, or find the sound file and replace it.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 10:27am
Originally Posted by Mark
as you say, re-install, or find the sound file and replace it.

Im trying to find out what the issue is first before doing a re-install.

Id rather try and work out what is causing it/caused it then just wipe the system.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 10:33am
Some further idea's I have written off:

- Not the ethernet connection (common reason for these type of problems apparently).
- Updated the sound drivers and DirectX drivers.
- Removed Partition Magic (well you never know with Norton crap)
- Re-installed, then updated the touchpad drivers.
- Removed a few non-essential Windows apps like MSN Explorer etc...

Im gonna try getting a copy of the Windows sound scheme next, to see if I can lay on a second one and see if it helps. It cant be the actual file that is corrputer though, as it would show the problem every time surely??

Now im thinking, if all this fail's, could be the midi or wav codec's?

Cheers! smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 11:12am
Corrupt File : It can be as simple as that smile

And send you to an early grave lol

Keep looking lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 11:14am
Might just try and find a bloody Star Trek sound scheme at this rate... always remember having one on a Windows 95 system all them year's ago, twas groovy lol!

I got a poo click!! frown
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 5:52pm
had things like this happen in the past... i tend to have all the sound schemes turned off now anyway, annoying
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 6:32pm
Right quite simple whats the laptop ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:00pm
Acer Aspire 1622
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:05pm
I presume the sound card is a AC97 ? If it is. Goto the blue speaker like control in the system bar and turn off the Auto Gain Control... Then click ok.. For some reason my latop goes crazy when this is switched on and i do not know why..

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:06pm
I disable Soundman in msconfig and services as soon as I install any OS... dunt like any shit like that running on me systems.

So it cant be that.

frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:07pm
Just opened it up through control panel, and auto-gain control was already turned off.

Cheers though matey!!

frown
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:08pm
Maybe i should do the same on mine.. Hate software sound boosters LOL (what i call em) very odd problem.. and you say the normal sound works like mp3s an stuff ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:09pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Maybe i should do the same on mine.. Hate software sound boosters LOL (what i call em) very odd problem.. and you say the normal sound works like mp3s an stuff ?

Yeah, I just use me Technics DSP and amp when I need to increase gain etc...

Everything else works like it should, just me clicks are touch and go as to whether they will perform like they should or not.

frown
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Windows Sound Problem - 18th Mar 2008 7:17pm
Maybe cause the sound's so short the computer just forgets about it and access it so quickly? Maybe theres knowt wrong and thats whats happening..
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 19th Mar 2008 8:00pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Maybe cause the sound's so short the computer just forgets about it and access it so quickly? Maybe theres knowt wrong and thats whats happening..

I hope so lol... when I get home ill probably download a groovy soundset and see how it is.

Tis a shame there is only one in Windows by default, could have tested it by using a different one.

frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 21st Mar 2008 9:15pm
I think im gonna do a re-install and see what happens... must do it today before I get too settled on the OS...

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 21st Mar 2008 10:45pm
Well... it's now fully re-installed. Running XP Service Pack 1, so stuck in IE6 atm, gonna test it for a while see how it runs before upgrading to Service Pack 2, so no IE7 till then lol.

So far its okay, but literally just started using it, so plenty of time for it to fook up.

If it does it again, the HDD is going back lol. First point of failiure imo, as it's a brand new one.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows Sound Problem - 22nd Mar 2008 12:28am
Happy to report that my click is still fine, not running like poo as yet.

Going to install SP2 now and hope that does not have influence on the quality of my clicks lol.

On the plus side of life, I have just managed to get SP2 in under 5 minutes from Microsoft's servers, at more then 860KB/s.... makes a change, every time I have downloaded it in the past (including the other day), their servers have struggled to sustain a rather pathetic 280KB/s!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral