Forums
Posted By: MattLFC MSN Users Beware - 6th Jan 2008 11:08am
Microsoft have recently emailed a lot of users with this advert and its a fookin scam imho!!! It points towards it being a new version of IE7, with new MSN optimizations... its nothing to do with IE7 (unless you have IE6 I suppose), what it actually does is install the MSN Search toolbar into your IE (which ISNT needed as IE7 already has a search tool), a popup stopper, which again IE7 already has, it changes your homepage to live.com and msn.com and deletes your old homepage settings, and on top of this chucks a ton of links in your favourites above everything that "you" have selected as your favourite.

Oh an it changes your default search provider in IE7 to Live Search...

And worst of all, when you uninstall, you still have to delete all the favourites manually, change your default search provider in IE7 and reset your homepage to the one you want.

And thats only what ive noticed in the last few minutes - i uninstalled it 2 minutes after I installed it last night, because I realised it wasnt anything to do with IE7.

Not on Microsoft! mad

Attached picture ie7 scam.jpg
Posted By: SoundLad Re: MSN Users Beware - 6th Jan 2008 11:29am
just microshite again trying to rule the PC world.. Idiots..
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: MSN Users Beware - 7th Jan 2008 12:53am
ay glad u put this up as i wuda downloaded it i mean that add looked genuine too me so thanx matt m8 saved me their ! thumbsup
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MSN Users Beware - 7th Jan 2008 12:58am
Its genuine as in it is from Microsoft, and is an official promotion etc... but its utter crud the way they have described it.

It should be clearly promoted as Windows Live toolbar, not a new version of Internet Explorer... IE doesnt even change!

smile
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: MSN Users Beware - 7th Jan 2008 12:59am
o i c wat ya sayin yeh but still great job puttin in the warnin as id still of downladed it lol wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MSN Users Beware - 7th Jan 2008 1:00am
No problemo fella!

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: MSN Users Beware - 12th Jan 2008 11:34pm
I did download it but i use firefox so i don't care, the only person who us IE is the missus when she comes round
Posted By: MGCraig Re: MSN Users Beware - 12th Jan 2008 11:37pm
ooo..evil....Personally..ive only just recently downloaded windows live messenger..i was always happy with 7.1 or 7.5 or whatever it was......

I tend not to download anything really....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MSN Users Beware - 12th Jan 2008 11:38pm
Im still loving 7.5 myself too. Cba with WLM, ever since it left BETA it has gone downhill imho.

Sounds like another recent Windows product lol.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: MSN Users Beware - 12th Jan 2008 11:47pm
don't know what i'm using and don't care, never use it anymore, you will notice i appear offline but really i'm online.

Ha ha fooled you all

*evil laugh*
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 12:53am
dont think i got your msn any more daz, pm me it
Posted By: Pomp Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 1:48am
I hanv't really got any emails from Msn, if i do i usually delete them. I see them as Spam like Dazzz so i bin them but Dazz can stay. I'll stick with my WLM vrsion 8.1 for now the newer version is poo
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 1:50am
i got like 2000 sumet emails in my msn account hahaha just let them rise then delete them all 50 at a time.
Posted By: Pomp Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 2:01am
I duno how u's leave it till it piles up. Reason i got a new msn addy now, but am forwarding my old mails to my new one except the junk stuff tease (didn't know they have services like this) dont even have to touch my old account an i have the mails auto sent.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 11:58am
My old MSN had 7000+ unread emails before I changed to me new one the other week. I blame it on the storage space they give out nowadays, there is never any reason to delete emails.

Mind you I have 1030 unread emails in Outlook Express, with 5062 deleted in the past week, and Nod has found 362 spam emails today alone.

Ahhhh the beauties of spam, this is why im changing my company to support ticketing only! Get rid of emails full stop.

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 12:49pm
ok for anyone who wants it

[email protected]

just message me on it, i normally appear off-line but it is always on if im on my computer
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 6:05pm
expect to get spam now daz lol
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 6:10pm
well i did MSN you earlier but you ignored me you numpty.
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 6:13pm
HAHA, Take a hint wink tease smile laugh
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 6:18pm
it's cos joe is to short and couldn't reach the keyboard without his step ladder.

raftl
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 6:20pm
LMFAO raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 11:06pm
no you fool, posting your full email on a public forum smack

some people eh!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MSN Users Beware - 13th Jan 2008 11:13pm
Yep, much better to post it as a picture, although bots can even pick up that nowadays too!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral