Forums
Posted By: Davey_Martin who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 11:57am
broadband provider at the minute?

gf wants to get her mum n dad on broadband as they still have a dial-up connection... they live out in the sticks but are able to get broadband (upto 8mb)

tiscali?
VM?
other?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 1:43pm
For the best price, if they already have Sky, go with them. If not, but they have a contract phone such as Orange or o2, they can get a dirt cheap broadband package from them. Although Orange have had very bad press.

The "best" is hard to say. Id say probably BT's broadband service is the best, but its let down by their customer support.

Maybe a smaller, more independent provider would be better if you are looking for out and out service quality at all levels.
Posted By: Mark Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 4:08pm
Most people are just happy with a good price,
just watch for the term of the contract which ever
way you decide to go.

TIP : Ask next door wink
If there happy then it may be good for that area smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 6:09pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Most people are just happy with a good price,
just watch for the term of the contract which ever
way you decide to go.

TIP : Ask next door wink
If there happy then it may be good for that area smile

lol when i say out in the sticks that's literally wot i mean... her dad is in his 70s and always has problems... so if he had broadband we could provide "remote assistance" for him - as it stands just now he has to wait until we go out there of a weekend lol

they have sky tv so might get them on a sky deal... only problem is we dont want them to have to take out more than a 12 mth contract with em
Posted By: MattLFC Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 6:15pm
Most larger providers require a 12 month contract. The reasons for this are simple, they usually include line activation (which at wholesale last time I checked was in the region of £44) and free router/modem and bundled software.

So they pretty much require a 12 month contract, just to break even (and sometimes they dont even manage that!).

Smaller providers will be better for a no-contract deal. Nildram and Eclipse are supposed to be quite good.
Posted By: Mark Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 6:17pm
I don't think you would have too wink take more than a 12month.

When you call up they will ask for the postcode and from there
check if the nearest exchange supports sky broadband.

Try them first and take it from there.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 6:54pm
looks like sky tv and broadband - sky say they can get upto 6mb so 8mb broadband along with their tv with 4 mixes would be £38... only £1 more than we r paying for the internet alone!!!! then £47 for tv lol
Posted By: Mark Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 7:27pm
you may have to pay for the router so watch for that charge wink
its package Dependant you see.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: who are currently the best... - 6th Dec 2007 7:33pm
Its hasnt been package dependent since July, its now a £30.00 standard activation charge.

The charge isnt for the router, its to offset the cost of the line activation that Sky have to pay to BT Openworld. They make zero profit on the broadband services, so they have to claw money back on the cost of line activation somehow.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: who are currently the best... - 8th Dec 2007 12:02am
i checked in the FAQ if it included the router and it does... made sure of that after finding VM were chargin a few quid less for the package (after seeing they advertised a free router as a selling point - where sky didnt really)
Posted By: txt3rob Re: who are currently the best... - 29th Dec 2007 12:24pm
supanet 8mb ADSL £10 a month unlimited
© Wirral-Wikiwirral