Forums
Posted By: Waddi HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 8:33am
I've had my DVD player connected via HDMI for around 6months but as of this morning Im not getting any sound from my DVD player when connected through HDMI but I am when connected via scart.

So I'm not sure if its the HDMI port on the TV or the HDMI port on the DVD that has broke, so has anyone got a DVD player or similar with a HDMI output that I could use to test my HDMI socket on my LCD tv.

Thanks

Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 9:14am
Or a HDMI enabled TV that you could test my DVD's HDMI port on for me.

Thanks
Posted By: Mark Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 9:25am
Sorry buddy i cant help.

Someone hasn't pressed Mute on the DVD Player ?
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 9:39am
No Mark, there is sound when connected via scart, but not HDMI,

and I have tried a differnt HDMI lead aswell, so its not that either.
Posted By: Mark Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 9:42am
When you try it have you had the volumes up and wiggled the connector ends?

Why ?

Sometimes you can hear a crackle, which may indicate
which unit is playing up ?
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 9:43am
I'll try that now.
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 9:48am
no crackles, I get visual but no audio.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 2:14pm
Could be faulty audio circuitry, how old is, is it still under warranty.

Im assuming you have checked the audio settings for the player?

Is it an upscaling player? If not, id just stick to using scart to be honest if its out of warranty, otherwise id be on the phone to thier customer support.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:04pm
Yes it is an upscaler that was bought especially for the hdmi output.
Both units are circa 6months old so both are still under 12month warranty, but dont want to take the wrong one back and make a t!t of myself, when it works in the shop.

Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:06pm
Ye should only take it back to the shop if a fault develops within 28 days of purchase.

Ye should contact the manufacturer customer services for faults that develop after this period.

Besides, they will be able to give you some better advice then we will, as they will know the model itself and have a list of common faults like this, and may be able to help ye resolve it (ie. it could be a setting or similar).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:09pm
Forgot to add that they may advise ye to take it back to the shop for replacement, which they would then arrange with the retail outlet, but until that happens, you shouldnt really take it back to the shop until you have contacted support.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:10pm
at the moment tho I dont know which unit has the fault. as I have no other unit with HDMI to test with.

If its the DVD player, I'll proberbly just buy a new oneas it was only £50 from argos.

but if its the TV, it will be going back to Curry's, its a Matsui which is made especially for Currys value range.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:12pm
Originally Posted by Mark
When you try it have you had the volumes up and wiggled the connector ends?

Why ?

Sometimes you can hear a crackle, which may indicate
which unit is playing up ?

Lol your showing your age their Mark, HDMI is digital, ye dont get crackle, ye get either sound or no sound.

It could of course be a broken cable but the only way to test this would be to use another one. Anyone you know got a HDMI cable you could lend to test??
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:14pm
Originally Posted by Waddi

Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:15pm
at the moment tho I dont know which unit has the fault. as I have no other unit with HDMI to test with.

If its the DVD player, I'll proberbly just buy a new oneas it was only £50 from argos.

but if its the TV, it will be going back to Curry's, its a Matsui which is made especially for Currys value range.

Yeah, Matsui is a DSG brand, but you need to contact Matsui support as that will be able to deal with any possible faults better then Currys.

Dont forget also, that if the unit develops a fault after 28 days, its adviseable not to take large items to the store for replacement, as the retailer will, 9 times out 10, get a larder item repaired, it just depends if its economically viable.

I know the likes of Currys have their own ownsite engineer network run via their mastercare service, and if the unit has developed a fault, they will most likely send an engineer out first.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:17pm
To help eliminate the fault in that case, you could take the DVD player to someones house who has HDMI to test if it works okay there.

If it does, its most likely the TV, if it doesnt, the fault must be related with the DVD player.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:19pm
How many times do I need to quote this raftl :
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:21pm
Thats not taking it to someones house and trying it on a different television mate.

I wasnt referencing the cables there. That helps to eliminate which piece of hardware is at fault, not cables.

wink
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:22pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
To help eliminate the fault in that case, you could take the DVD player to someones house who has HDMI to test if it works okay there.

If it does, its most likely the TV, if it doesnt, the fault must be related with the DVD player.

smile

Did I not insinuate this in the 2nd post of this thread
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:26pm
I aint got HDMI im afraid, only DVI (same fecking thing anyway loooool) and component.

Im sure someone will have though lol.

This may sound stupid, but does the DVD player have any DD connector or normal audio connectors for sound? If so, you could run the sound that way until you have been able to work with the support.

Unless its running via DD via HDMI setup through the TV, this should be fine to provide DPL.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:30pm
The DVD player has Digital Audio to connect to the surround sound system and also has L&R phono sockets. these work fine, but its a pain in the @rse if my daughter just wants to watch a Fifi or Dora DVD.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:33pm
Is there an input on the tv for the phono sockets?

I know its not fixing the problem, but "if" it works, its a work-around.
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:35pm
to get around the problem for the minute Im just using scart.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:38pm
But ye lose the upscaling then. If ye not using the upscaling at all, thats fine, otherwise the HDMI will be needed hehe.

Thats why im saying the phono trick could be a good work-around to consider until ye can find another tv to test the DVD player on.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:38pm
there are two sockets on the tv that look like they could be phono but I dont know if they are input or output. I will pick some leads up from my parents and try them tomorrow.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:42pm
Sweet. Im not sure if it will work given the HDMI usually carries the sound (unsure if it will allow the phono to carry sound at the same time), but its deffo worth a try.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:46pm
audio must be able to travel down digital audio, phono, and hdmi at the same time, otherwise how are you suppose to watch HDMI upscaled DVD's on your tvv but listen to the audio via a 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 system.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 12th Oct 2007 3:48pm
4.1/5.1 and 7.1 will only be provided via the digital output anyway. The HDMI will carry the 2.1 signal anyway, as most modern tv's have phono out, this will carry it onto any DPL equipment.

Its always nice to think that all 3 will work in harmony, but its not always the case.
Posted By: Waddi Re: HDMI help - 16th Nov 2007 12:52pm
Sorted now, I bit the bullet and bought a HDMI DVD recorder, set it all up via scart like it instructed in the manual, and then enabled the HDMI, plugged it in and crossed my fingers, and bingo, picture and sound.

conclusion, the HDMI port on my old DVD player is knackered, glad it was the cheaper of the two that was broke, I needed to upgrade to a recorder anyways, this just gave me an excuse.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: HDMI help - 16th Nov 2007 2:47pm
Good to hear it fella, glad ye got it sorted even if it meant having to upgrade... as you say though, worked out well, gave you an excuse to upgrade lol.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: HDMI help - 16th Nov 2007 7:52pm
Thanks for sharing wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral