Forums
Posted By: MattLFC 7th Gen Console Sales - 23rd Sep 2007 11:56pm
Just had a though to start a topic listing the main console sales and market share for the 7th generation. Maybe this could be made a sticky??

Current Home Console Sales:
[Linked Image]

Current Handheld Console Sales:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These images will automatically update as the sales increase. They are taken from Video Game Chartz and are based upon true sales figure's released by retailers, and not reliant on shipment figures, which are usually inaccurate and not a true reflection of actual sales.
Posted By: Wheels Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 24th Sep 2007 12:01am
i was tempted to buy a Wii this morning from liverpool. but a £400 bill on the kitchen table stopped me frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 24th Sep 2007 12:03am
Lol gutted for ye fella. Im in the same boat, I want to buy one now they are starting to become readily available (thanks to Nintendo outsourcing the manufacturing of the Wii hardware), but just have too many other and more important things to buy atm.

Maybe after Xmas though.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 24th Sep 2007 12:31am
Originally Posted by whelan
i was tempted to buy a Wii this morning from liverpool. but a £400 bill on the kitchen table stopped me frown

Getting one for our 9 year old boy for christmas shifty (for the boy he says, lol)
Just got a ps2 for our 4 year old boy too and my 6 year old daughter has an xbox (which i think needs upgrading to a 360 but the missus won`t have it, lol) laugh
Posted By: Wheels Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 24th Sep 2007 12:46am
deffo need to upgrade the xbox mate smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 5th Oct 2007 5:55pm
As Sony announce their lame attempt at a cut price PS3 , the Nintendo Wii breaks the 12 million barried lol, with the PS3 still to reach 5 million.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 5th Oct 2007 6:35pm
There going to have to give them away lol
And then they would probably hype the price up of the games.

Personally i just think its too far ahead of its time
and they want a price tag to match that.

It isnt going to happen.

Any way shouldn't some one have walked off in disgrase
by now for the state of there sales lol.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 5th Oct 2007 6:42pm
This Christmas will be a massive make or break time for Sony on the PS3 imho, the 7th generation will be into its 3rd year after Xmas, which is usually when the consoles have a foothold.

I dont think the Wii is selling solely on price, as I said and argued with Dazza before its launch, Nintendo have gone "back to basics" and developed a console for people to have fun with.

The PS3 offers nothing particuarly innovative, the cell is amazing, but developers simply cannot code to get the best out of it, much like the Sega Saturn was miles ahead of its time, but coders didnt like having to address two CPU's, so most games only made use of one, which seriosuly crippled them. Nintendo's console has made gaming available to everyone, even pensioners, for the first time, will pick up a Wii and play for hours on it.

Sony need to get the PS3 60GB version slapped down to £250 before they can even consider catching the 360, nevermind making an impact on the Wii.

As it stands, the Wii is aimed at everyone, and everyone likes it and would probably buy it, the 360 is aimed at traditional gamers, and is prices sensibly, and gamers dont mind owning a 360 alongside a Wii, the PS3 is aimed at hardcore gamers, PS fanboys and gadget freaks only, and therefore its market is very niche, and far too small to be a raving success.

I said the Wii was goning to hammer the PS3 at a meet last summer, and at the time people laughed at me hehe, especially as the Wii hadnt had any publicity or advertising in either the UK or US at that point, but I think its starting to prove my point.

smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 12:02pm
Regardless of the sales..and what everyone is saying about whats best etc......Im not Buying an Xbox 360 and Im certainly not buyin a Wii.....Theresa a good chance i probably wont buy a 7th gen console....but if I did, it would be the PS3...

The problem is...ive never really been a fan o the xbox to begin with.....and ive never been a fan of Nintendo....the Wii doesnt appeal to me whatsoever....i just dont get excited over wacky controller designs....the Xbox debate is similar to whether you prefer Fifa or PES.....you either used to prefer Xbox..or Playstation.....

My beef is that the games on the Wii suck considerable A**.....Xbox games have always been majorly arcadey in my view...and Im not interested in 1st person Shoot em ups or Halo..Playstation has always had that quality of game...and since playing on one last week..I can see im going to stand by my decision yet again...I prefer Playstation...so shoot me...but im certainly not goin to pay the current price for someone...and also in the meantime, im not going to waste my money on buying the other competition
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 12:13pm
PlayStation... game quality. Errrr, right. withstupid

So if Tomb Raider 96, Tekken 72, Ridge Racer 43 and Gran Turismo 57 are your thing, maybe they are game quality.

The PS3 offers nothing innovative, the main games for the console are just more remakes of games that were popular 10 years ago and have already been remade/updated 10 times over, the console has come in hoping to sell on hardware might and name alone, and Sony have positioned itself out of the market in doing so. Neither of which make games good, its the developers that do that, and they are finding life really tough to code for the cell.

Thier not even arsed about game quality or being innovative, and they have been gazumped by the Wii big time and they can't do anything to circumvent this trend atm.

For an out and out gaming experience, id choose the 360, simply because it DOES offer innovative games, and doesnt have one cheeky, robbing bastad company behind it (as in Sony expecting the consumer to buy their over-priced console solely because its a PlayStation). In fact scrap that, the last innovative console prior to the Wii was the Dreamcast, id take one of them before id purchase the PS3.

I think the Dreamcast being so good was down to its demise with regards to big game producers. As the likes of EA and that couldnt be arsed with Sega after the Saturn fiasco, we got smaller developers getting some headlines for innovative games like MSR, Crazy Taxi, Soul Caliber etc, and Sega knew they had to come up with the goods for the likes of Sonic Adventure whilst the PlayStation 2 was more concerned about touting the next Tomb Raider, Tekken and Ridge Racer.

Okay the PlayStation 2 won the battle, but only because of its name and the fact that Sega had been bleeding millions a week since the Saturn, and the Dreamcast couldnt recover them losses. It spent its life handicapped by the fact that gamers are (certainly used to be) fickle and unless they see the big name games they dont wanna know, also they kept buying into the PS2 "emotion engine" shite, which never came to offer anything over the Dreamcast.

Maybe your a hardware gamer, which explains why you want a PS3. But for casual gamers, and people who crave fun from games, theres no denying the Wii beats both competing consoles right now.

Down with the Sony wants all your money PS3 lol.

smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 12:26pm
Nah...im not a hardware gamer...what i base a console on basically is racing games....the xbox can have its Forza motorsport 7 or whatever their on....Project Gotham etc...but after playing these..i find myself wishing i had a ps3 to play th new Gran Turismo..theyre just way too arcadey for my liking..and not paticulalry difficult..they almost compliment people on the games...even if ur crap at them, you can still appear to be good at them..the entire WRC eries on th PS2 are better than the current racing games avaialable on the xbox....as for the Wii....its just not a consle designed for racing games...its a multiplayer console..to play mario party 173 or whatever...its also another excuse to drag out th mario franchise for a few more years...something i wish would just be dropped. As im not really a multiplayer person....thats y i couldnt care less about the wii ....even the likes of mario kart etc...I like racing simulators...or games ith a decent hint of real life..like Grant Turismo and the WRC series....as for Colin Mcrae rally....I can honestly say i believe its better on te PS3 than xbox....for that is where the game began
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 12:35pm
Actually, right now, you will find there have been shortcomings found on the PS3 version's of cross-platform games when compared to the Xbox360, due to coders not being able to code well for Sony's cell.

Whether all this will change in the future remains to be seen, but it largely depends upon sales figures of the PS3. For instance, if the PS3 still hasnt sold 10 million units by this time next year, developers arnt going to want to spend the time getting to grips with the coding aspect, and certainly arnt going to spend time refining games afterwards, so they will always remain inferior to their 360 counterparts.

But should Sony suddenly get a massive sales figures boost, maybe it will start competing with the 360. Having said that, the 360 sales have been pretty stagnent for the last few months now, the only console that seems to be selling anything noteable is the Wii.

Im still after a Wii eventually, for the simple reason, I have moved away from games and consoles, since all they try and do is get more money out of you for fundamentally the same games, year after year and console after console. I never bought into the Dreamcast for this reason, until it was too late, so I have been proven wrong. But as far as I can see, the only console that is innovating is the Wii, Mario franchise or not, the game itself is re-invented by the controller.

Crazy Taxi was sooooooo much fun, a game like that would never have appeared on the PS2 if it hadnt been so damn huge on the Dreamcast. Sony only eventually got it on the PS2 to cash in on a successful enterprise, as money is all that concerns them. A title like this would have even less chance of appearing on the PS3, Sony quite simply wouldnt give a damn about backing it.

I think at the core, Sony are an Electronics company, Microsoft are a computer software company with experience gained from their PC games development, and Nintendo/Sega are out and out games companies.

This explains the 3 different ways they are going/aiming to go right now.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 3:16pm
i don't like microsoft..........

a good console is only good if it has good games to be played on it. no one wants to buy a several £000 console for it to just sit there.

yes sony have kept re-inventing several of their favorite games, but they improve them along the way. i too manily use racing games for consoles, and tbh gran turismo series imo is the deffinative driving game. i am biased towards the playstation, but i do also like the other consoles.

gta was what probabily made the playstation what it is today, and when the new one eventually does arrive it will be awesome. i don't know if you consider gta to be a re-make. gta 3, vice city, all superseeded by the replacement, san andreas which is what must be the ideal game. i have it on both ps and pc for different reasons.

so if i do have a point after all this it is that i prefer different formats on different consoles. fps's are good on console but i prefer them on pc, with the trusty mouse and keyboard. also i never really got to grips with the x-box's controller, another important feature that links all this.

i babling on about shit now so i'll shut up
Posted By: AX_125 Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 3:51pm
wii for fun games with friends. Xbox and PS3 for quick arcade/racing games and PC for indepth and online games. Especially shoot em ups.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 7th Oct 2007 8:35pm
exactly what i was trying to say ax 125! lol
Posted By: Mark Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 1st Nov 2007 6:20pm
Decided to take a snap shot of the first post
just to see how the tables will be effected over Christmas.

Description: Snap Shot of First post
Attached picture tables.gif
Posted By: fordsteve Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 1st Nov 2007 6:30pm
bloody hell nintendo well got hold of the market
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 5th Dec 2007 10:18pm
Wii is about to hit the 15million mark within the next few days!!

And the DS aint gonna do to bad this Xmas either, thanks to their massive TV advertising campaign, everyone in me family is getting one, even me mum!!!! omg
Posted By: Mark Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 5th Dec 2007 10:32pm
Mom asks the kid

What do you want for christmas my little angel ? A ps3 ?

< Mom what's a PS3 >
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 5th Dec 2007 11:04pm
lol mark smile you know the only thing id get a PS3 for and thats GTA IV
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 6th Dec 2007 1:15am
ill stick to my 360 and wii lol - imo perfect combi for value and entertainment
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 29th Dec 2007 6:47pm
So after christmas, the Wii is fast approaching 20 million and Nintendo still can't keep up supply for demand levels...

The PS3 is still struggling to hit the 10 million barrier although sales over Christmas look to have been very good, and the 360 sales look rather crap tbh, they dont seem to have improved with Christmas by any degree.

I notice the DS is still more then double the PSP, I wonder if the PSP will ever catch it, its surely not helping the fact that Nintendo have been advertising the DS heavily on TV over the last 6 months and yet Sony seem reluctant to advertise either the PSP or the PS3 at all on TV.

Mind you the thing thats probably pissing off Microsoft and Sony, is they are still selling all their consoles at a loss on each unit, whereas both the DS and the Wii are making nice profits for Nintendo, even moreso with their prices remaining stable and production costs lowering.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 29th Dec 2007 6:58pm
God...damn these people for buying the Nintendo thingy majigs...theyre just giving the damn japanese another stupid reason to drag out mario...tomorrow...Ill be going out to buy something fun...for £275...and Ill give you all a clue....its not a console...doesnt involve wacky controllers or pointless characters...runs on petrol...has slick tyres.....is ahella fast...and for the money....worth its weight in gold compared to Wii...360....or ps3

Yup....Im buyin a Race Kart !!!!!
Posted By: AX_125 Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 29th Dec 2007 8:50pm
I got a DS for XMas, it is fantastic. Not really into mario myself, more of a zelda player.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 30th Dec 2007 5:42pm
i got the 360 was looking at ps3 but to much money to spend out if you want the top of the range one made up with 360 can not fault it
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 30th Dec 2007 7:39pm
heres the thing, why shell out for the higher spec ps3 (not available in the shops atm) when you aren't going to use its extra gizmos? the memory card slots, nice to have but i rarely use things that use them, other than my psp. you still get hd games, a great system with a blu ray player, but at a decent-ish price! (guess who bought a ps3, only the 40gb version though) also sony are selling a 80gb version in the us and japan at the mo, which we may see.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 31st Dec 2007 5:49am
The 40GB doesnt have PS2 compatibility, meaning current PS2 owners arnt as interested as they might be.

Lack of USB ports is also a potential issue given the future expadability of consoles.

smile
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 13th Jan 2008 10:39am
its not really lacking usb ports, it has 2 instead of 4. also who truthfully can say they still play on their ps2?
Posted By: AX_125 Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 13th Jan 2008 11:24am
Is the difference in price between the 2 version of the console greater that the price of a second hand ps2?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 13th Jan 2008 8:56pm
I think so yes, the second hand PS2's are cheap in Game.

I find it hard to believe that the PS2 hardware costs more then a few quid to put on the machine nowadays!!
Posted By: SolventFree Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 16th Jul 2008 1:48pm
The reason sony is falling behind in europe is because they write games for the USA which when ported to PAL no one wants because they hold no long term interest are to short or for the i wana cheat tards out there.

Gaming at its best for sony is on the jap playstation pity they wont port the good games over to english.

Ill stick firmly to my PC and mmorpg's www.drunkenl2.com wink
my 360 has 3 red lights and they wont fixor it and the wii gathers dust. Only so much arm waveing a person can do tease
Posted By: Rhobit Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 3rd Jan 2009 10:08am
As per matt's statistics, came across this on fark today and thought y'all might like a butchers:

http://www.nielsen.com/media/toptens_games.html

PS3 coming in 5th with only 7.7% of game time. You know it's bad when your legacy console is still whupping your current gen raftl
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 3rd Jan 2009 11:37am
omg wow half-life 2 is in at no.3 and halo is still in the charts laugh
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 22nd Jan 2010 5:25pm
latest console sales as of January 2010:
Consoles:

Nintendo Wii: 56 Million units (as of Sept 09)
Xbox 360: 39 Million units (as of Jan 2010. unverified)
PlayStation 3: 27 Million units (as of 27 Sept 09)
PlayStation 2: 134 Million units (as of Jan 2010)

Handhelds:
Nintendo DS, Lite, DSi, DSiXL 112 Million Units (as of Dec 09)
PlayStation Portable, PSP GO: 55 Million Units (As Of Sept 09)
Apple iphone: 20 Million units (as of Oct 09)

"Dominant" console per region (NTSC-J, NTSC, PAL)
Europe: PlayStation 3
USA: Xbox 360
Japan/Asia: Nintendo Wii
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 22nd Jan 2010 5:44pm
Those stats are a bit pointless, it completely misses the PS3 and Wii's 2009 fall sales, and thus gives the Xbox a massive advantage over them. Also, the 360 sales look a bit hopeful, and are unverified. The same with the PSP (quite how an iPhone is defined as a gaming device, im not entirely sure).

According to VGC, the live stats are as follows:

Xbox 360 - 37.15m (27.60%)
PlayStation 3 - 32.17m (23.60%)
Nintendo Wii - 66.39m (48.80%)

PSP - 56.00m (31.00%)
DS - 124.88m (69.00%)

Leading Consoles By Region:

Europe
1. Nintendo Wii - 25.49m (46.20%)
2. PlayStation 3 - 14.96m (27.10%)
3. Xbox 360 - 14.69m (26.60%)

North America
1. Nintendo Wii - 31.10m (47.7%)
2. Xbox 360 - 21.58m (33.10%)
3. PlayStation 3 - 12.53m (19.20%)

Japan
1. Nintendo Wii - 9.80m (62.30%)
2. PlayStation 3 - 4.68m (29.80%)
3. Xbox 360 - 1.24m (7.90%)

smile
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: 7th Gen Console Sales - 22nd Jan 2010 6:49pm
i only took those from wikipedia, gamespot and a few other and went for the average. i couldn't find the fall sales.
as for the iphone being classified i'm mystified myself since it's a phone crossed with an ipod but it seems many people class it as a handheld console.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral