Forums
Posted By: Davey_Martin unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 9:57pm
tryin to delete a few folders off my hostin account via ftp but nothing happens, all the archives are actually empty and have tried them CHMOD'd to 0 and 777 but still nothing... closed FTP app and reloaded incase it was just that playin up but no, still same problem...

ideas on a postcard
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:03pm
Whats the prgram you are using?

If its via FTP and they are deffo empty, there shouldnt be much need to CHMOD em to 777 anyway tbh.

Does the host have an online control panel at all?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:03pm
Hmm I remember having the same problem a few years ago.

I think mine wouldnt delete unless it had a file in it IIRC. or if there was a file being deleted with the folder? Something like that.

Strange I know, but I think it worked.

Worth a try?
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:11pm
i'm using smart ftp... in my "account centre" all i can do is rename files/folders or upload them... cant find anything to delete them in there.

they initially did have files in them but while deleting the entire folder, it removed the files contained but not the actual folder... i'm confused LOL
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:11pm
Is this still with MT?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:13pm
Try WS-FTP, ive known Smart FTP to have some issues in the past, although nothing like this I must admit.

Other then this, contact the host. If its still MT you are with, its a grid host, and they are known to have multiple bugs on WHT with regards to their systems, its not a normal hosting system you see.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:14pm
yea i kind of read the info on their site, will give ws ftp a try tho... post back my results in 5 mins
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:22pm
oh meant to mention, it's just a certain folder... Gallery 2 or something i installed on there but couldn't remove it the other day and still cant now! lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:24pm
How was it installed? Was it via an auto-installer in their control panel, or did you do it yourself?

Cos if it was via an auto-installer, sometimes you can find its best to uninstall it using the auto-installer if possible.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:27pm
i uploaded it then ran the installer i think... didn't think to run it again to see if there was an option to uninstall it there... just loggin into wsftp now
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:29pm
If you uploaded it, then it wasnt via an auto-installer so dont worry about that.

Did you read any unistall instructions for the product?

Are there any other folders affected, or just this one folder that you cant delete (make a new folder and then try deleting it or whatever).
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:46pm
deleted other folders, just a few certain ones
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:48pm
Are they only folders related to this product, or are ther other folders you cant delete to?

You have SSH access dont ye, have ye tried doing an rm -rf on the folder??

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 10:49pm
Or even an ls -al from within the folder to see if there actually is any files still in it?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: unusal problem removing folders - 20th Aug 2007 11:05pm
Whats the error you are getting when you try to delete the folder?

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: unusal problem removing folders - 21st Aug 2007 7:13pm
Hmmm...

Gallery 2 is the key to this puzzle.

I seem to rember this from the dark days....If you used the Gallery auto installer, It gives some folder/files the user name "admin" or "localhost" as you are neither you can't delete them.....drop a line to your host provider, if they are any good they will delete them for you.

Hope this helps..

BR
Andy
Posted By: Mark Re: unusal problem removing folders - 21st Aug 2007 7:54pm
Check the options of the FTP program,
they sometimes have do not delete empty folders.
Un check that box and it should be okay..

That's if you haven't tried that already.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral