Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 1:09pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Net phone firm Skype says its service is up and running again after three days of "unprecedented" disruption.

The problems with the service began on 16 August and stopped millions of people logging in and making calls.

Skype said the ongoing disruption was caused by an unexpected interaction between its servers and user's PCs.

Despite Skype's claim to have fixed the problems some subscribers reported that they had trouble making calls throughout the weekend.

Reminds me why I keep my BT landline for business - loads of friends within the server industry use Skype and fair few have had problems recently.

smile

BBC News Report
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 8:14pm
Skype Blogs direct quote follows:-

"On Thursday, 16th August 2007, the Skype peer-to-peer network became unstable and suffered a critical disruption. The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users’ computers across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update. "

Hmmmmmmm

Nuf Said.....

EOT
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 8:19pm
Lol, well for a company supposedly worth €3.4 billion that is owned by eBay not to be able to handle a few problems... and when the service does crash because of it, to take 3 days to get their service running correctly again, it tells you a lot about their lack of redundancy and infastructure.

They obviously have at least one SPOF and they obviously dont have a competent enough technical team in place to resolve issues when things go wrong.

If BT or Virgin had all their telephone lines fail for 3 days because of a temporary fault, there would be an absolute outcry.

Hence the reason VOIP and/or Skype simply isnt reliable enough as yet.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 8:46pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

They obviously have at least one SPOF and they obviously dont have a competent enough technical team in place to resolve issues when things go wrong.

"SPOF = Short for single point of failure, a generic phrase for any component of a system that upon failure will cause a malfunction in the entire system. A SPOF can be a hardware or electrical component or a software component."

SPOF is also know as Windoze.

Just my 2 pennys worth.

BR Andy

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 9:00pm
Originally Posted by Scudo_Andy

SPOF is also know as Windoze.

raftl mr scudo not happy with windoze
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 9:00pm
How exactly is Windows a SPOF? I know you are trying to have a dig at Microsoft and Windows here, like all lame ass Linux junkies, but get real, this isnt Microsoft's fault, if has fook all to do with Microsoft if Skype's systems and infastrcuture is that shite that it cant handle a few million user's machines rebooting and disconnecting close together, and then their technical team cant get the systems running properly again for 3 days.

The reason they have had problems is quite simple, its due to lack of redundancy and infacstructure and lack of a technical team that can handle things when they have problems.

So stop trying to knock down Microsoft and blaming them for things that has nothing to do with them.

I suppose if all the people running Linux and Skype on their home systems had the PC's reboot, there wouldnt be much of a problem due to the small number of Linux home users in the world, because most people realise there are far easier ways then having to mess around in the command line and repositories etc when you are trying to do a simple thing.

Linux is the de-facto choice for web servers etc due to many reasons (I myself run multiple Linux web servers yet not one Windows Server at present, although I do have a few clients running Windows 2003 on their servers), but when it comes to usability and interface, all distro's are next to useless when it comes to the average Joe Bloggs. This is why MacOS and Windows are so much better for a home PC.

And Linux isnt so great itself, at the end of the day the ultimate OS for relibaility and security is by far MacOS, bar none (well okay maybe BeOS and the like can compare, but they are hardly mainstream).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 20th Aug 2007 9:10pm
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/

Get yaself over to that forum rather then here, you will have a whale of a time, they will praise your idea that Windows is to blame for Skypes problems, global warming, AID's, and the fact that Michael Barrymore can't swim...

grin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 21st Aug 2007 7:42am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
And Linux isnt so great itself, at the end of the day the ultimate OS for relibaility and security is by far MacOS

Just what OS is the MacOS derived from...????

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 21st Aug 2007 10:15am
Unix... not Linux.

If you knew MacOS, you would see there are HUGE backend and security differences between itself and Linux. It is far closer to Unix then Linux security wise.

Also, MacOS has a GUI that actually works, its not a half hearted attempt at bringing something into the public domain and getting so far, but not actually completing it. There has been maybe a hundred distro's of Linux, and not one of them is suitable for the average home user.

Therefore, Linux as a home OS, will always be, the OS for the poor and ultra-geeks.

grin
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 21st Aug 2007 10:39am
[Linked Image]

But continue because its funny raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 21st Aug 2007 10:41am
It acually sounds to me like a lame ass excuse by Skype for their own massive infastructure problems and lack of a competent enough technical team. It's easy enough to point the finger towards another company, its a lot harder for a company to accept the blame itself.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 22nd Aug 2007 8:48pm

Microsoft release the updates, their code believes them to be valid, downloads and usually reboots yur machine....(even if you tell it to do it later).

"THEN" the problems start.....Hands up who remembers the Chaos when XP Service pack 2 was unleashed on all you unlucky Windoze users??

Skype is running on a Windoze server...."Who has ever seen Microsoft apologise for their crappy Bloaty code cock ups"

Sorry I take that back .....It usually does apologe for the inconvenience. Shortly before crashing taking your entire days work down with it....No chance of cicking the "START" button to shut it down in a safe controlled manner.

PS..... Ever wondered what the VISTA in Microsoft VISTA means...?

Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans, Adware.

PPS......XP = Xtremely Pi%%ed

Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 22nd Aug 2007 9:25pm

Microsoft release the updates, their code believes them to be valid, downloads and usually reboots yur machine....(even if you tell it to do it later).

never had that problem, clearly a super n00b

"THEN" the problems start.....Hands up who remembers the Chaos when XP Service pack 2 was unleashed on all you unlucky Windoze users??

sp2 was a blessing... k, had to run a patch for some programs but no different to any other OS

Skype is running on a Windoze server...."Who has ever seen Microsoft apologise for their crappy Bloaty code cock ups"

many OS's dont apologies, and may see it as a weakness, they are a company and want to appear to be strong. this happens

Sorry I take that back .....It usually does apologe for the inconvenience. Shortly before crashing taking your entire days work down with it....No chance of cicking the "START" button to shut it down in a safe controlled manner.

PS..... Ever wondered what the VISTA in Microsoft VISTA means...?

Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans, Adware.

PPS......XP = Xtremely Pi%%ed

i'm bored already
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 23rd Aug 2007 3:08pm
Lol thats what happens with all Linux geeks. They bore ye to death ranting about an OS that doesnt work (Windows) when there are millions of people who are quite happily using it, without the hassle and complications that Linux needs to work lol. Its the same with the pro-Firefox crew, although not quite so bad hehe.

smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 25th Aug 2007 3:17pm
millions of people who are quite happily using it

google A recent (Today) totally un-baised (honest) raftl survey on Google.com (A Linux Server) said:-

Peeps doing searches for Linux, Windoze, and OS X Problems.

Results 249,000,000 for windows problems.
Results 164,000,000 for linux problems.
Results 174,000,000 for os x problems.

Survey conludes that 85,000,000 peeps worldwide are having more problems with Windoze than with Linux. raftl

learn learn learn learn learn learn learn learn learn learn

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Skype Apologises For Outage - 25th Aug 2007 3:35pm
If you work out the number of people using Windows in comparison to Linux, it actually makes out that Linux is utter shite and Windows has less problems then either MacOS or Linux...

- Windows has a 97.46% market share and 249 million searches for problems.

- MacOS has a 1.43% market share and 174 million searches for problems.

- Linux has a 0.26% market share and 164 million searches for problems...

Please stop ranting on about Linux, you are getting pathetic and very boring and seeming very childish, and to be honest, with that post you just made yourself look a complete and utter fool.

Pwnd, as you l33t-speak Linux bible bashers like to put it!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral