Forums
Posted By: Waddi Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 10:25pm
Im changing phone and proberly network so question as stated in title, pros and cons please, to help me decide
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 10:29pm
vodafone, tho it depends on where u live to the quality of coverage.

i have had no real problems with vodafone for my fone services, just avoid them like the plague if ever for broadband

never had a problem with o2 in the past either, just went to voda as gf used it and got the vodafone family thing (which is well good by the way) £7 a month to fone upto 5 people for free, any of the 5 people can fone eachother as long as they want so providing u take turns of payin the £7 a month its excellent
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 10:43pm
o2. I need a network that has reliable network coverage for calls and texts, and I have been on o2 for around 8 years now (started with them when it was BT Cellnet, then mmo2, then o2 and now Telefonica o2).

Got a great deal from them, haggled a bit to get it, will haggle some more when I upgrade in October to get an even better deal then I already have.

The network is rock solid, non of this crap waving my phone around to get a signal in a lot of places like people locally do on T-Mobile.

Tried 3 for a short period of time, the network was okay at the time, but the customer service was severely lacking, also the network was harshly locked down.

Me mum had used Vodafone for a long time before switching to o2 last year, but she never had any problems with them.

A lot of my family down south use Orange, it seems to be the network to have down there, and again no problems.

To be honest, pick a network on the basis of network reliability and coverage, forget about the deals and phones, you can get the same deals on ever network if you haggle with them.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 10:51pm
these kind of companies are rediculously easy to haggle with. but o2 would be my first choice if it wasn't for the burd n her family all being on voda. orange is shite up here, very little coverage unless u're around the main cities (perth not being one of them)

if u want the handset free but want to stay with the company ust simply tell them u have been offered a better package on a diff network with the handset free. they usually tell u thats because u are going to be a new customer, just give them the option it's either thay give u wot u want or u are gone. it's very much the consumers market, they realise that.

u really dont need to haggle too much unless u want a stuidly cheap tarrif and the best handset lol
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:01pm
I'll devulge a bit more, Im looking at getting a cheap phone of e-bay which is of highter spec of my current 6630, as already stated in another post.

Ive only been considering unlocked phones or those locked to voda, coz thats who Im with currently and wanted to use the same PAYG sim. Wife is on T-mobile and always gets a better signal than me and her txts are only 3p, so I am now considering T-mobile aswell.

The signal may be down to the phone itself tho???????
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:06pm
was t-mobile originally one 2 one? sorry cant remember

only was with them nce til i put my fone down on a debt n nver paid it lol... never used it enough to find out if it was worth it
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:07pm
Well I know round here (Moreton), mates who have had T-Mobile have had to wave their arms in the air plenty of times to get a signal when sending a text looool, the general consensus locally is that nobody is really on T-Mobile, well nobody that reguarly uses their phone for calls or texts.

You considered the o2 Online PAYG tariff's (formerly Genie about 4 or 5 years ago, but people still use this name)? They are pretty good from what I recall, they include either free texts or free calls and have plenty of bolt on's, but they do require a £10 a month topup to get the freebies.

They also offer o2 treats, which is another little freebie and plenty of cool bolt ons, as well as 10% of you spend back every 3 months.

I have a few o2 Online PAYG sim cards if ye want one to try out fella.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:10pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
was t-mobile originally one 2 one? sorry cant remember

only was with them nce til i put my fone down on a debt n nver paid it lol... never used it enough to find out if it was worth it

Yeah it was one2one, but then Deutsche Telekom bought them and it became T-Mobile (their worldwide mobile brand) in about 2001.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:15pm
i had an ericcson t-90 or something like that on t-mobile just after one2one got took over, wasnt sure if it was them who took one2one over tho lol
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:17pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

I have a few o2 Online PAYG sim cards if ye want one to try out fella.

smile

Thanks for the offer, but I dont have a phone that will accept o2 sims.

When I had my SE T610 and Nokia 6600, I was with o2 on contract and could never fault them TBH, and the signal was nearly 100% everywhere, except parts of anglesey where my parents caravan is. DOH.

o2 are defo a contender then.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:22pm
network providers are all gonna vary in "quality" depending on the area and where there termnals are
Posted By: Pomp Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:23pm
I am with o2 and i am using the Genie sim card which with a £10 top-up
a month i can get:

300 free txts
300 free wap
and not sure what else.

I also have been with o2 for a very long time and never lost signal, also being so long with o2 they give you rewards.
The rewards i get are:

Getting 10% back with each top-up
receiving 10% back at the end of a certain term depending on how much i top up

A special rewards let me have a choice of options of either:

25 free minutes phone call
free voicemail
or extre free txts.

So if your more of a txt person and less of a calling person then i would recommend the Genie sim card.

Am not sure what disadvantages ther are really.
Calls are quite cheap, but i dont normally call alot just the odd times now and again.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:26pm
i got 4 of them sim card but no fooker will tak them :| am down the wirral at end of sept if anyone wants all 4 for nothing - they are cloggin my drawers up lol.. and i dont mean the ones im wearing
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:43pm
Yes Pomp I am a TXT person, I may go o2, Then I can TXT you and Matty in the middle of the night (when Im on a 12hr night shift) for free, ha ha ha <<<thats an evil laugh by the way. lol
Posted By: Pomp Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:50pm
raftl you can txt any network for free not just people on o2 wink

so you can annoy Mark also!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 3rd Aug 2007 11:52pm
hahaha me n pomp are the Wiki night owls, we will text you back lmao!

grin

Here are the details of the o2 Online PAYG tariff:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go#simonly

The sims are £9.99 but I got one ye can have for nout if you do decide to use o2 Online so dont worry bout that lol!

smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:04am
Matty your ones weird, cant find the one saying £10 top up. Here is my version:

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/o2onlinepaygotariffs

Attached picture jpg.JPG
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:18am
Thanks guys,

anyone use video calling?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:31am
My tariff actually allows video calls within the free minutes I get, but I have never even made a video call of any use, even when I have had video calling phones (I dont atm), except as a novelty when I first got the 6680 on 3 lol.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:38am
with video calls, you cant blag where you are,i.e. Im stuck in a traffic jam love, but she can see the pub/brothel in the background, lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:40am
lmao thats a point... mind you ye can have problems with a voice call to, my mate tried to blag his bird we was in me mates house once, wen really we were in a public house.

His explanation for the noise (bear in mind it was Friday night and the pub was heaving) was that "me mate is having a few of the lads in tonight" - he has a ded small box room lol.

Kinda got all fooked up though when the last orders bell rang a minute later raftl raftl
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:46am
I had software on my 6600 that would play background noise whilst you made a call, either of a few presets or a personal pre-recording, the train station was always beleivable, aswell as road traffic noise, the sort you hear as a driver. My personal favourite was shopping centre noise, it actually had a injury claim person on it approaching you to ask a questionaire.

pmsl remembering it
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 12:47am
looooool sounds wiked raftl
Posted By: Mark Re: Which Network are you on? - 4th Aug 2007 9:40am
Originally Posted by Waddi
I had software on my 6600 that would play background noise whilst you made a call
I want lol
Posted By: Waddi Re: Which Network are you on? - 6th Aug 2007 10:43am
Just done a bit of organising of my bit and bobs wires and stuff draws, found an o2 online sim pack. So thanks to those who offered me 1 but I've allready got one, woohoo.

just gotta get a new phone now, come on ebay bargains...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral