Forums
Posted By: MattLFC BBC Launches iPlayer - 27th Jul 2007 1:31pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
The BBC's flagship online TV service is being launched, offering viewers the chance to download their favourite programmes from the last seven days.

For director general Mark Thompson, the launch of iPlayer is as big a milestone as the arrival of colour TV.

But others have questioned how technically reliable it will be and whether it is late to a crowded market.

At launch, a fixed number of people will be able to sign up, with the numbers increasing throughout the year.

Ive just registered my details for the trial, they will contact me at a later stage if I am eligable for the trial.

Eventually the service will be made available to everyone though. Can't wait to get me hands on it, it will mean an end to UK Nova for me probably, depends how good it is.

BBC News Report
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 30th Jul 2007 7:44pm
Wooo I just got me login details and I have to say it looks pretty good so far.

Gonna have a good play tonight see what the service is like etc..

Shall report back!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 30th Jul 2007 8:00pm
Well... it seems it aint liking Windows Media Player 9 - its a common issue on the private user forums. Im upgrading to 10 and hoping it works, i desperatly dont want to go to 11, not least because its poo, but also because Sky Anytime doesnt like it!
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 30th Jul 2007 8:03pm
I think its still in beta, and don't work with vista and mac
i heard on the radio that they had been downloading eastenders for 3 hrs, but in all fairness they say its in beta and is expected to be panned out soon. And it will then be the fastest of its kind.

Too busy to register, awaiting feedback wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 30th Jul 2007 8:54pm
Well I finally got it to install, its using WMP 10 thank god lol!

Ive just noticed, its running the same p2p software as Sky Anytime (Kontiki), which as I run Sky Anytime, I can say is extremely low resource usage, which is a good thing.

Yeah it dont work in Linux either, I been running Ubuntu for the last few days, but jumped out of it today to run this. Tried it in Firefox and Opera in Ubuntu before and it basically told me to bugger off and go elsewhere lmao!

Im downloading a program now, its coming down the old pipe at about 2.8Mbps, which isnt bad. Dont forget its p2p and there are only 15,000 users allowed to use it atm, so things will be slowish to begin with. For instance, is 1000 people suddenly jump on to download Eastenders at the same time, then its going to run bog slow. The best time to do it would be a good couple of hours afterwards.

Bugwise, it doesnt like WMP9, its a known bug in the iPlayer forums, I think this may be more to do with DRM rather then a bug.

One thing I havent managed to find as yet is any sort of bandwidth throttling. So in essence, the program is given 100% of my upload speed, although I use NetLimiter for internet traffic shaping and this will throttle it in the same way, I would like to see this built into the final release.

It can work in Vista, but you need to be a code magician to enable it to do so. There is a couple of people running it in Vista, but the BBC dont support it as yet officially, so its certainly not recommended.

It is still in BETA and will be for at least a good few months, but what they have already seems very good. There are small bugs, but to be honest, its more because they have to make its availability wider before it can move out of BETA.

It has a very similar feel to Sky Anytime, only this should have millions of more users, so the speeds should be even greater, and of course the big advantage is its full of BBC content as opposed to just Sky content.

You can download tv programmes from the last 7 days and you are licensed to keep them on your hard drive for 30 days thereafter.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 30th Jul 2007 11:41pm
The video I downloaded before is just over 1000Kbps, so the quality is very good.

Having said that though, the overall download speed was in the 2.5Mbps average region, which don't get me wrong, is very good, but if I had downloaded the same video off UK Nova an hour or two after the initial seeding, it would have been coming down at about 7Mbps and the video/audio quality would have been similar, if not better on some programmes (it depends on who the capper is).

So im not fully converted yet. But its deffo a good thing to have! Things like Coast, Doctor Who etc, either dont become available on UK Nova, or when they do, become available for short period of time, due to arrangements with the BBC and the rules of the site regarding DVD releases and the like.

With BBC iPlayer, every popular BBC produced programme will be available to download, without restriction, and once the amount of users increases and Kontiki is running on more users computers, the speeds will probably exceed that of UK Nova.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 31st Jul 2007 12:39pm
Wooooo just started downloading the real hustle, missed it last night and forgot to Sky+ it lol, and its coming down at 4.8Mbps, which is pretty good imho.

Im liking the iPlayer web interface for finding the programmes, some things you dont even realise were on or you had missed, but the web interface is so well working and so visually appealing that you can find your fave programmes with ease.

Also, on the iPlayer console itself, its very good in that you can allocate a certain amount of space to your download library, and then its like having a PVR, whereby it lets you know the percentage used, how many hours you will have left etc...

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 31st Jul 2007 5:10pm
WOW! Ive just downloaded Panorama from last night, it was 156MB and took less then 5 minutes, it came down at 7.86Mbps, the fastest ive ever even seen my connection go!!

thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Aug 2007 7:55am
I'm just too busy to try it out frown
Posted By: jonah Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Aug 2007 10:27am
Originally Posted by Mark
I'm just too busy to try it out frown

i know that feelin dude ! frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Aug 2007 12:16pm
Lol, tbh if you dont have the time its a good thing. I have been going through all the crap on offer, and ive downloaded 11 shows already since yesterday, im tending to find loads of stuff that I never even knew was on rather then what ive missed.

Dunno when the hell am expecting to watch it all mind, my Sky+ is almost full too so that needs emptying, with all this nice weather of late, im not spending enough time indoors to watch it all!

So in a way its actually a bad thing lmao! Will be good when the weather is poo though I suppose!
Posted By: jonah Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Aug 2007 12:33pm
lmao raftl
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 10:00am
Registered last night.
Details arrived today.
You can not run this under FF only IE 7

Problems but resolved.
If you have ever used 4oD Ch4's service it wont allow you to
download? Not sure why. But i found this fix and it now works.

After a bit of hunting around found a knotiki folder in documents and settings/ALL USERS/application data (which contains a db file that must do something).
Thought what the hell and deleted this file, and returned to the iplayer and it now works wink Downloading has begun.
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 10:07am
I'm pleased to say after much frustration im now downloading Blue Peter..

I like the way you can que the programs for download.
So i have a few of them lined up wink

Blue Peter Monday
Blue Peter Tuesday
Blue Peter Wednesday
Blue Peter Thursday
Blue Peter Friday

lol only kidding.
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 11:06am
I'm liking this player / system even more now?

Well after you have downloaded the program of your choice
its only when you want to watch it for the first time
that the 7 day timer kicks in.

So you could have content sitting there for months
before you watch it wink

I'm going to stock up in the night lol
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 11:33am
Ahhh hang on.
It looks like there is a 30 timer on them regardless,
but if you watch that down load you can watch it again
for 7 days only or which is sooner on the count down.

I'm learning lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 2:05pm
If you want to take advantage of the 30 day DRM license, just watch it via the deliveries folder instead of the player itself.

Also, they have DRM to protect their content as a lot will appear on other channels and they can't risk devalueing its worth, which is fair enough.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 2:17pm
never thought of that wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 9th Aug 2007 2:18pm
They actually wanted to make downloads available for 90 days and 30 days from first viewing... but they got told off by regulators and blasted by rival TV companies for doing so, so they had to change it lol.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 19th Aug 2007 10:14pm
Hmmm on my other laptop hard drive, everything runs pretty sweet. Just installed it on this hard drive and Kontiki is ass raping my CPU.

Seems like its not so stable after all. Doesnt bother me as I can easily get around it, but a less advanced user could have potential problems...

frown
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 19th Aug 2007 11:26pm
i tried copying one of the downloads to another machine,
you have to update the DRM via the internet frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 19th Aug 2007 11:30pm
Of course - thats the idea of DRM lol.

You dont update the DRM (unless the version you have is out of date of course), you download the license to play the file.

wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 23rd Aug 2007 3:59pm
Kontiki seems to be running alright nowadays, dunno why it was funny for the first day or so...

Not bothered though, still impressed with the iPlayer, I find a LOT of stuff on there I didnt even know was on tv lol.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 10th Oct 2007 3:05pm
Had a gander at my iPlayer since I applied the new update from a few days ago seems to have corrected some issues within the iPlayer and also made the interface a bit nicer.

It also now allows you to turn off the Kontiki P2P sharing, so you no longer have to share if you dont want. But still no sign of a bandwidth throttler.

All in all, deffo worth the update, it hasnt affected any of my DRM licenses.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 12th Oct 2007 9:38am
cool wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 13th Dec 2007 10:16am
Wow absolute quality!!!

You no longer have to download programmes to your hard drive, as they are also available to stream via the iPlayer website as well!

Nice one auntie!

laugh
Posted By: Wheels Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 13th Dec 2007 3:39pm
i wanna play too
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 14th Dec 2007 4:02am
Hehe looks like there is even more good news as well as the streaming capabilities:

Originally Posted by Digital Spy
The much-anticipated Flash based revamp of the BBC's iPlayer website has now gone live.

In October, the BBC confirmed it was working with Adobe to use Flash to deliver the catch-up TV component of iPlayer over the web, making it available to users of any operating system that can run Flash - including Macs and GNU-Linux.

The move is part of a wider plan to deliver most of the BBC website's audio and video content via Flash; currently, such content is offered mainly using Real and Windows Media.

A version of iPlayer's download manager compatible with Windows Vista has also been made available today.

Digital Spy Report

thumbsup
Posted By: Wheels Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 14th Dec 2007 4:14am
what is the website?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 14th Dec 2007 2:29pm
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 14th Dec 2007 5:37pm
They need to get rid of the beta logo then smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 14th Dec 2007 5:56pm
Doesnt go public till next year, sometime in January or February I believe.

They cant take it out of BETA until its fully tested and they have implemented as many features as they can within budget. The one feature a lot of people are requesting and they would like to roll out before it goes public is a series link feature, although it may not be viable yet.
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 16th Dec 2007 8:35pm
i wish finding things / listings was just quicker.

i think anyone using it will pretty much know what
there looking for, its just finding it is slow.

still good smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 16th Dec 2007 9:02pm
Hmmm, I dont quite see how they can make it much better think

They offer a day by day guide, categorised guide and A-Z as well as a search on every page that works extremely well. What more could they add?

Im not the biggest fan of the interface as it seems to be too modern and I prefer simple apps, but I can't really fault its usability, and have never had problems finding what I want.

If you know what you want and dont want to navigate the menu's, is it really that difficult to type it in to the search facility?

BTW, if you are looking for some programs, the reason you can't find them is because the BBC don't have rights to place every programme onto the iPlayer, everything that is produced by a 3rd party production company is subject to them obtaining the TVOD rights, which may or may not be inclusive in the original deal.

This is the reason why Dragon's Den for instance isnt currently available on the iPlayer. Fortunatly, the vast majority of programming on the BBC is either in-house, or the BBC/BBC Worldwide have substantial interests in the programme production/production company, therefore the majority of programming is making it onto the iPlayer.

One thing I have noticed, is sometimes if you look on the 7 day guide, and you are looking for a programme that has only been on TV within the last few hours, it can take longer to show up on the 7 day guide then it can in the category guide for instance. I downloaded a couple of episodes of Coal House and A Pembrokeshire Farm prior to them being listed on the 7 day guide by navigating via the category guide/searching for them.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 19th Dec 2007 3:37am
Originally Posted by Digital Spy
The BBC's iPlayer will get its "consumer marketing launch" on Christmas Day, the corporation has confirmed.

The on demand service will no longer be classified as beta and adverts to promote it will be rolled out.

The iPlayer was launched in beta in July and now provides 250 programmes per week to UK users.

It is currently available on the internet and is expected to roll out on Virgin Media's cable platform and mobile devices next year.

A spokeswoman explained the launch date would mean a strong line-up of shows was there for new users.

"From our point of view, it's all about the content available on the platform," she said. "The Christmas schedules are the richest time of year for TV programming."

She added: "Marketing launch means we'll be trailing the service on TV, radio and posters."

Bah, no freakin series link, gutted man!

Digital Spy Report
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 20th Dec 2007 1:46am
Has anyone noticed that since the streaming started, virtually ZERO programmes have been available for download!!

This is not on, I have emailed the BBC a complaint, they are refusing to respond to numerous complaints on their own forums, it seems like they have had a change of policy or have no staff to do the caps.

THIS SERVICE IS NOT READY TO COME OUT OF BETA THE DIMWITS!!!
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 20th Dec 2007 2:31am
raftl matty you need to get out more matey
Posted By: Mark Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 20th Dec 2007 8:27am
Been to busy to notice.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 23rd Jan 2008 9:52pm
Loooool just went to download Watchdog as some stupid twonk forget to set it up for record sorry and...

Description: Either the BBC can't count... or they have uploaded a "live" program a week in advance lmao!! Id say they just can't count!
Attached picture watch it!.PNG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 24th Jan 2008 8:54pm
Nice to see the application is stable and reliable now it has been officially launched to the public after 2 years+ of BETA testing...

Originally Posted by BBC iPlayer
Owing to technical problems, it is not currently possible to browse programmes from the last seven days.
Suggestions:

Type a keyword in the search box, and click on Search

Please return later

Bear in mind BBC iPlayer delivers programmes broadcast during the last 7 days and not every BBC TV programme is available on this service. If you're still having problems, please contact iPlayer feedback.

Originally Posted by BBC iPlayer
Owing to technical problems, iPlayer search is currently unavailable.
Suggestions:

Browse programmes using the links to Last 7 days, Categories or A to Z

Please return later

Bear in mind BBC iPlayer delivers programmes broadcast during the last 7 days and not every BBC TV programme is available on this service. If you're still having problems, please contact iPlayer feedback.

Does anyone else get the feeling this product/service should still be in BETA??

Well done to the BBC for rushing the release of this product/service to make it look good for a Christmas day launch!!

clap
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:30pm
WARNING!!!

If you have the iPlayer installed on your machine, DO NOT install the new update released today!!!

mad
Posted By: Pomp Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:31pm
why whats the problem
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:34pm
the BBC thats the problem... just dont do it!!

mad

And there is no fookin way to revert back to the previous version!

mad mad
Posted By: Pomp Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:37pm
guted
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:38pm
post a screenshot of your iPlayer fella and ill show ye what's wrong you will thank me for warning ye when ye see it!!
Posted By: Pomp Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:43pm
you mean the iplayer library?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 2:47pm
ya man smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 3:09pm

Attached picture untitled.JPG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 3:10pm
Bah you could have had a program in it frown

Cant really show what I mean with that screen lol.

Download summit short 5/10 minute so I can demonstrate what I mean fella smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 4:08pm

Attached picture untitled.JPG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 4:17pm
Well you see the old one... really good interface; allows you to see what you want to; very clean and neat design; groups the same programs from a series together; visually appealing; basically works very well!

Look at this utter turd, no organization, no interface at all, no grouping of programs, visually shite, looks like a 4 yr old has just stuck some photos on a white page ffs! And the BBC think this a step forward???

Why the sudden drastic change... I thought the BBC said this product came out of BETA on Christmas Day? WTF they are STILL developing it imho and it STILL should'nt be public!

Attached picture Image1.jpg
Posted By: Pomp Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 4:20pm
Lmao that is shite
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BBC Launches iPlayer - 1st Feb 2008 4:22pm
Oh yeah I forgot to mention also... it rapes ya CPU when it starts up for a few minute's and also when ya download anything!!

Told ya man am well gutted its absolute shite worst interfect ever and I can't understand what feckin monkey is working on it who see's it as a step forward ffs the old one was fine!!

frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral